U20 hurlers 23

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
private joker
All Star

Re: U20 hurlers 23

Post by private joker »

Great win, Derek mcgraths influence really shone through. Excellent win bearing in mind the two lads missing

Anonymous1
All Star

Post by Anonymous1 »

Great win for this team once again, two years ahead of schedule and now have a brilliant chance to make an All Ireland final.

You genuinely couldn’t fault one of the 6 backs tonight, all were outstanding, Sam Bourke in particular at 6 was tremendous.

We were lacking in the forward areas at times but Charlie Mitchell really stepped up to the plate tonight and delivered in the absence of Screeney. Dan Ravenhill was excellent off the bench also.

We may not be the most physical team in the world but by god do we make up for it in terms of skill, heart and the sheer will to win.

One would have to seriously fancy us against Wexford next week especially with the news that both Screeney and Kavanagh should be good to go. I’m assuming it’ll be in Nowlan Park?

Huge credit has to go to Leo O’Connor for sticking around after last year’s devastating defeat and guiding a lot of these lads with the combined schools and now at U20. He has the makings of a very very special team on the cards for the next three years.

It was great to see a big crowd turning out tonight and especially the amount of children on the pitch at halftime. There’s been a sea change in the relationship between supporters and county teams over the last few years thanks in no small part to the work of Michael Duignan and co. A word also for Glenisk and their novel idea to get as many children attending the game as possible.

Hasselhoff
All Star

Post by Hasselhoff »

Any details on where the final will be

Doon Exile
All Star

Post by Doon Exile »

Anonymous1 wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 9:40 pm Great win for this team once again, two years ahead of schedule and now have a brilliant chance to make an All Ireland final.

You genuinely couldn’t fault one of the 6 backs tonight, all were outstanding, Sam Bourke in particular at 6 was tremendous.

We were lacking in the forward areas at times but Charlie Mitchell really stepped up to the plate tonight and delivered in the absence of Screeney. Dan Ravenhill was excellent off the bench also.

We may not be the most physical team in the world but by god do we make up for it in terms of skill, heart and the sheer will to win.

One would have to seriously fancy us against Wexford next week especially with the news that both Screeney and Kavanagh should be good to go. I’m assuming it’ll be in Nowlan Park?

Huge credit has to go to Leo O’Connor for sticking around after last year’s devastating defeat and guiding a lot of these lads with the combined schools and now at U20. He has the makings of a very very special team on the cards for the next three years.

It was great to see a big crowd turning out tonight and especially the amount of children on the pitch at halftime. There’s been a sea change in the relationship between supporters and county teams over the last few years thanks in no small part to the work of Michael Duignan and co. A word also for Glenisk and their novel idea to get as many children attending the game as possible.
Just home and buzzing after that. 100% on the above. First touch and overall skill level was fantastic. Only point I’d say was that The full forward seemed a bit all over the place in the first half - we had the wind and yet it seemed to be only one inside at times. Joe hoctor started very well and went out of it then but he did get a belt on the head I think. Colin Spain’s points were crucial in the first half.

Defence were brilliant. Ravenhill made a big difference in second half. But the Charlie Mitchell goal was the game changer at a time we were struggling. Brilliant run by Cormac egan in the lead up.

Sam bourke was immense throughout. Charlie Mitchell was very good too albeit he probably should have done better with his chance in the first minute or so. With Screeney and Brecon to come back, we have a great chance next Wednesday.

Great to see such a crowd there.
Doon exile....

Doon Exile
All Star

Post by Doon Exile »

Hasselhoff wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 9:49 pm Any details on where the final will be
Floodlights might be needed as has to cater for extra time and penalties and think they might have to push it a bit later than 6:45 as very early. Don’t think Nowlan park has them (I could be wrong). Portlaois and Carlow (as far I know) so between them two I’d say. Or maybe Parnell Park???

Tis great to be thinking about it…
Doon exile....

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

Portlaoise would be a big win for us. But a 6.45 throw in opens up Nowlan Park as the most likely option.

I would put Parnell Park on a par with having to travel to Wexford Park as a worst case scenario.

Anonymous1
All Star

Post by Anonymous1 »

Doon Exile wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 10:16 pm
Hasselhoff wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 9:49 pm Any details on where the final will be
Floodlights might be needed as has to cater for extra time and penalties and think they might have to push it a bit later than 6:45 as very early. Don’t think Nowlan park has them (I could be wrong). Portlaois and Carlow (as far I know) so between them two I’d say. Or maybe Parnell Park???

Tis great to be thinking about it…

Extra time and penalties could’ve been required tonight and OCP has no lights. Nowlan doesn’t have lights, Parnell wouldn’t hold the crowd that Offaly will bring alone never mind Wexford. Portlaoise maybe then?

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

The poster was referring to the fact that floodlights may be needed if throw in time is pushed back.

We could bring 10,000 to this (see last year’s Leinster minor final) therefore this article from 2 years ago might rule out Carlow.

https://kclr96fm.com/a-carlow-councillo ... y-grounds/

According to this the capacity of the ground is now 12,000 which is a considerable drop from the 21,000 that used to be it’s max. H&S and all that jazz.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Last year's Kilkenny v Wexford final was under lights in Carlow, despite those counties' h&a arrangement.
So the precedence for a neutral venue for a final overriding a h&a is set.
Offaly's preference would presumably be Portlaoise, Wexford's may be Carlow. Kilkenny doesn't have lights and the Leinster Council site states a start time of 7.30pm, presumably to cater for live TV after TG4's 7pm news.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

Bookies have us marginal outsiders in the Leinster Final and rank outsiders in the All Ireland race.

Its a done deal for Cork according to them!!

Anonymous1
All Star

Post by Anonymous1 »

frankthetank wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 10:44 pm Bookies have us marginal outsiders in the Leinster Final and rank outsiders in the All Ireland race.

Its a done deal for Cork according to them!!
Jesus I can’t understand having Wexford favourites over us? Do they know we were missing arguably our two best players tonight? 9/1 seems a helluva price to me for them to win the All Ireland!

Anonymous1
All Star

Post by Anonymous1 »

frankthetank wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 10:40 pm The poster was referring to the fact that floodlights may be needed if throw in time is pushed back.

We could bring 10,000 to this (see last year’s Leinster minor final) therefore this article from 2 years ago might rule out Carlow.

According to this the capacity of the ground is now 12,000 which is a considerable drop from the 21,000 that used to be it’s max. H&S and all that jazz.
12k won’t be sufficient imo and if it is a start time of 7:30 as POTH says then Portlaoise seems the only option which would be our preference.

Doon Exile
All Star

Post by Doon Exile »

Anonymous1 wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 10:59 pm
frankthetank wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 10:40 pm The poster was referring to the fact that floodlights may be needed if throw in time is pushed back.

12k won’t be sufficient imo and if it is a start time of 7:30 as POTH says then Portlaoise seems the only option which would be our preference.
I’m thinking 7:30pm portlaois at this stage.
Doon exile....

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Great effort from everyone involved, well done lads it is a massive boost for the county

ah lethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by ah lethimoutwithit »

Huge win, and great effort and perseverence throughout the game. Won't name individuals as was a true team and bench performance.
Watching the first half, I though we were nervous looking, hit a fair few aimless balls and the first touch was off, in comparison, Dublin looked quicker, better touch and had a great running game which caused us a lot of problems.

The second half we crowded the middle better and it opened up a little up from for us. Dublin then persisted with trying to work short passes through our backline and began to make more mistakes as we hassled them.
We need to bring greater composure though when on the ball, not to be critical and th stats guys will have it for the players but we did hit a lot of aimless passes, failed to pick the ball first time and some aimless handpasses. If we can improve on these, and as Cormac Egan gets sharper inparticular we will be a threat through the rest.
For now, recovery, assess the wounded and heads down this next few days. Wexford will come with everything, there will be huge pressure on our guys, but again that word, (Kildare football manager used it after their semi final win), COMPOSURE, in all thats done in the lead up, and during the game and we have the capacity to win Leinster. This would be massive.

I stood there at the end for 10mins just soaking it in, the swarm of kids on the pitch, the buzz, the music, the players signing hurls and jersies.
This hasn't happened in Offaly hurling up till last year with the minors....but it was great. This is what the GAA is about, and as the saying goes, "Nothing beats being there!".
So F..K GAA Go, etc, I've been lucky to be able to get to a lot of games this season. I havnt sat down at home to watch one game involving another team. Offaly teams have another minimum of 5 games ahead of them, I intend to get to as many of them as i can and after that, I might sit down and watch the All Irelands, but what an evening.

Crowd got stuck in behind the team in the second half.