Club Football Championship 2022

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Behindthegoal
Junior A
Club: Ballinagar

Re: Club Football Championship 2022

Post by Behindthegoal »

How long have people been saying that about edenderry? They haven’t been to a final in 7 years for a reason continuously just fold anytime it gets put up to them by Rhode Tullamore and Ferbane. It’s believe it when I see it time with Edenderry

TerraceTalk
Intermediate

Post by TerraceTalk »

Hard to not agree there, Cian Farrell or not Dunga, there is a level of naivety around where Edenderry are at the minute and their ability to win the big games

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

Edenderry are under performing in my opinion. Two or three years ago they put Rhode to pin of collar in semi final, going to extra time and losing out narrowly. They got rid of that manager after a short term in charge when they appeared to be improving. They were on edge of winning it before that.

There are some club related issues in relation to other sports there that have meant some of their best players could not play senior this year. Its hard enough to win senior without trying to do so with one hand tied behind your back. They should be more competitive than they have shown in last couple of years and should be on a par with Rhode Tullamore and Ferbane.
jimbob

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

Didn’t Edenderry basically ban anyone playing anoy other sports this season if they wanted to play senior football? Ridiculous if true.

True Red
All Star

Post by True Red »

Didn’t Edenderry basically ban anyone playing anoy other sports this season if they wanted to play senior football? Ridiculous if true.
Not true
If you don’t stand for something you fall for anything

pigeon house biffo
All Star
Club: Rynagh

Post by pigeon house biffo »

any word on backroom additions? very quite on that front, the hurlers got their glamour appointment with maher, will the footballers get similiar?

Hyper
All Star

Post by Hyper »

Martin Murphy and John Rousse selectors

pigeon house biffo
All Star
Club: Rynagh

Post by pigeon house biffo »

Second time that name has been mentioned on here. Its not been mentioned on any media outlet and his last interview with midlands 103 he said that his sole focus was with portarlington.

TerraceTalk
Intermediate

Post by TerraceTalk »

Offaly footballers back at it on Saturday so I hear, so surely most of the back room team in place now.
Wonder if we’ll see any new faces in? I’d like to see a bit of height in there personally, might add a different dimension to our attack.

Hyper
All Star

Post by Hyper »

both were down in the FF's on Monday night. I hear Paul "Cracker"Fitzgerald is also on board. He was alongside PK and LK with Tipp. Goalie from Fethard who played with Tipp for years..

Dunga
Junior B

Post by Dunga »

TerraceTalk wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:45 pm Offaly footballers back at it on Saturday so I hear, so surely most of the back room team in place now.
Wonder if we’ll see any new faces in? I’d like to see a bit of height in there personally, might add a different dimension to our attack.
I'm sure a few goalies will be brought in this time of the year with Dunican emigrating.

Behindthegoal
Junior A

Post by Behindthegoal »

What other goalkeeper’s is there? Will Ken Garry get a shot? He’s probably the best of the rest. Ian Duffy has been no.2 the last few years haven’t seen enough of him to know if he’s ready to step up. Chip O’Toole is worth a look at too

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

If Jack Cullinane or Barry Rohan were still around, also worth a look.

Who are the young players that should be looked at that have not been in or looked at much to date that are older than the successful u20 group?

For me some may include couple of lads in Clonbullogue, Mikey Cunningham and Stefan Geoghegan, Kevin O Brien Tullamore, Conor Dunne Steven Conneely and Aidan Bracken Ballycommon, Kyle Higgins, Joe Maher and Ronan McEvoy, Oisin Kelly Ferbane / shannonbridge, Shane O Toole and Sean O Toole in Shamrocks, Shane Tierney and PJ Daly in Daingean, one or two young forwards in Erin Rovers, Cathal O Donoghue in KK. What age is William Mulhall in Walsh Island? Also has to be at least one in Rynaghs - Joseph O Connor / Niall Wynne possibly. Nigel Dunne too based on club form as he is still both good enough and young enough.
jimbob

Behindthegoal
Junior A

Post by Behindthegoal »

Not to be disrespectful to anyone but a lot of the lads you named are either nowhere near good enough for senior inter county football or have been on the panel at some stage and never got a look in. Cunningham couldn’t get onto the u20 team so hard to see how he’d make any impact at senior, Kevin O’Brien is lucky to be on the tullamore team. Conor dunne hardly stood out in the intermediate championship and plays rugby. Kyle Higgins has gone to America. Joe Maher has been messing around with county setups for the last 10 years wouldn’t be surprised if kearns doesn’t even bother calling him in because he will leave himself at some stage. Oisin Kelly is a hurler he will never play county football for Offaly as will always be in with the hurlers his name should stop being mentioned. Ronan Mcevoy was in under Maughan for about six weeks and left it’s easy to say call these lads up but will they commit and do the training? You don’t want lads who are guaranteed to drop out and leave you in a situation mid season looking for new players. Shane O’toole good club player yes would he make any impact at county? I’m not sure. Chip O’toole left the u20 squad this year two weeks before championship and had to be persuaded back we are looking for a new goalkeeper at the moment but again if he’s not willing to commit he shouldn’t be called in. I’m not sure who the young forwards in Erin rovers are? Seen them a couple of times this year and nobody stood out at a very poor level. Cathal Donoghue has been in the squad but picked up a nasty injury so you’d imagine he will be back. Joey O’Connor dropped himself last year so no need to be calling him again? And Nigel dunne again all the above points apply to him.

Instead of calling older lads who haven’t much of a shelf life left at county standard and who have been dipping in and out over the years I’d like to see us invest in the younger lads and give them game time in division 3 and tailteann cup expose them to a high level of training and S&C along with the experience of playing the games in 3 years time they should be at their peaks and be the back bone of a really strong team. I’ll put a list below of who I’m talking about.

Lee Pearson
Chillie Donnelly
Rory Egan
Cathal Donoghue
Bill Carroll
Jack Bryant
Cian Johnson
Cian Farrell
Keith O’Neill
Aaron Kellaghan
Cormac Egan

All these players are 23 or under. If they were to put 3 solid years in now there’s no reason why we shouldn’t be winning a tailteann cup and competitive in division 2 like Westmeath are now. It’s a big if I know but this is what our county board and senior management should be aiming for.

TerraceTalk
Intermediate

Post by TerraceTalk »

Have to agree with behindthegoal there, what use would bringing in an aging Nigel Dunne or William Mulhall do at this stage, or any lads in their 30s for that matter? We are in a building phase, bring in the youth and keep the experience that’s already in there and reward their commitment to the cause.

Interested in dungas point that Paddy Dunican is leaving the panel, I hadn’t heard that, but can’t blame the lad. I think he’s been the best keeper we’ve had in a long time. He’s really trimmed down in the last year and heard rumblings he wanted to be given a shot out the field? He’s always been solid on the ball but better for us as the number 1 rather than anywhere else.

Chip O’Toole opted out of club football this year before being coaxed back in, so I’m not sure he’d want to commit to county at this stage. I’d make Ken Garry the favorite as of now, some very solid showings from him for Rhode this year.