Offaly v Limerick NHL 24/03/2012

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
DAF
All Star

Re: Offaly v Limerick NHL 24/03/2012

Post by DAF »

Certainly wasnt a penalty at the end.The hit reminded me of the shoulder Karol Slattery hit Dick Clerkin with last years qualifier match in Tullamore which lead to Niall mcNamees goal

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Hmmm. I thought Offaly went out of it (and lost their shape) after Bergin went to full-forward some time before half-time. Based on that, and that Offaly did better in the last 15 minutes down that side, I’d play him in the half-forward line.

Particularly so that last 15 minutes when Offaly did well down the covered stand side. I also think there’s a bit more of a thrust in Tom Carroll than there is in James Mulrooney. I’d rank Carroll ahead of his clubmate in the pecking order.

I’d start Ger Healion at 14 the next day. Dooley is going to be 13 anyway. If Mahon is to be centre half-forward, then play Bergin at right half. Which leaves the left side of the attack. Colin Egan can really only play at 12 or 14. With his left-sided stroke he would be too restricted at 15.

Brendan Murphy did well enough at left half-forward to warrant inclusion there. Though he played much of the second half at midfield, Murphy prefers to take up a running line perpendicular to the sideline when lining up a shot from 30 or 40 years. It would be difficult to do that having made a 30 yard run from midfield. Logically, Brendan should be well able to line out at right half-forward, which would mean Bergin going to the centre, Colin Egan to the left and Mahon to midfield. Egan is still clever enough to take up a good line to support his full-forward line - Páirc Uí Chaoimh last year being an example.

They also need to find a place for Seán Ryan. A Conor Mahon / Seán Ryan midfield pairing, anyone?

James Rigney is also an option for corner-back. I’d actually leave Rory Hanniffy at 6 and Kenny at 3. Hanniffy’s reading of the game and his covering of both sides makes him the best candidate for centre-back. There is no other option for full-back. Let Kenny gel with Dempsey in front of the square.

Great to have the options. I detect some interest locally in the next match against Clare. I think, if it’s a fine day, a few thousand might make the trip.

Finally, folks, who is the trainer? I thought that was Alan Cunningham who wore the maor fóirne bib on the open stand side, but I was told today that, no, that’s not Cunningham. Instead it is the trainer.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

while watching Cork and kilkenny yesterday on the box, something just dawn on me and thinking back to what i watched the night before
it was like a different level to what i seen the night before with the pace and touch of the players .

now it would be great to get up to division 1 A and as they say you can only learn from playing the best. but i think offaly would
struggle in the top division like they have done over the last few years.

it would be great to get up but would we be back down after one season look at Dublins performance they have been good but yet
they could be in a relgation playoff with waterford.

Deadandgone
Intermediate
Club: Tullamore

Post by Deadandgone »

Plain of the herbs why is shane dooley no 13 anyway. On recent form he is not doin it from general play only frees. Joe bergin can do that. Parlon. Ryan and murray will all be pushin for a spot and this will lead an all round better team in the end. If a player thinks he is on the team week in week out he can get complacent.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

Fair question. Frees first - Dooley has a higher conversion rate than anyone else. He pointed the pressure frees like against Antrim and Galway in 2010. much as I think the world of Bergin as a hurler, his free-conversion rate is not as high as Dooley's.

The only player who's free conversion rate would match Dooley's would be Damien Murray. On the other hand, Dooley could be relied on to make a far greater contribution from play than Murray. While Dooley's prefers using his left, it must be pointed out that there's nothing too wrong with his right (last Saturday night's goal, points against Laois and Antrim). Murray might have been club hurler of the year last year, but I'd be fairly certain he scored each and every one of those off his right side. Dooley is still better in the air, poses a far greater goal threat and while his standing behind his man is infuriating, he'd still be the second forward on the teamsheet, after Bergin.

Eoin Ryan is unproven. I'd let him find his feet at inter-county level this year at U21 level. I wouldn't put hin on against one of them Kennys from Buffers Alley who would try to break him up. Parlon is still an option at 12, 14 or 15. I could rely on Dooley in the last minutes of a tight match in summer though.
Deadandgone wrote:Plain of the herbs why is shane dooley no 13 anyway. On recent form he is not doin it from general play only frees. Joe bergin can do that. Parlon. Ryan and murray will all be pushin for a spot and this will lead an all round better team in the end. If a player thinks he is on the team week in week out he can get complacent.

backofthenet
All Star

Post by backofthenet »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:Fair question. Frees first - Dooley has a higher conversion rate than anyone else. He pointed the pressure frees like against Antrim and Galway in 2010. much as I think the world of Bergin as a hurler, his free-conversion rate is not as high as Dooley's.

The only player who's free conversion rate would match Dooley's would be Damien Murray. On the other hand, Dooley could be relied on to make a far greater contribution from play than Murray. While Dooley's prefers using his left, it must be pointed out that there's nothing too wrong with his right (last Saturday night's goal, points against Laois and Antrim). Murray might have been club hurler of the year last year, but I'd be fairly certain he scored each and every one of those off his right side. Dooley is still better in the air, poses a far greater goal threat and while his standing behind his man is infuriating, he'd still be the second forward on the teamsheet, after Bergin.

Eoin Ryan is unproven. I'd let him find his feet at inter-county level this year at U21 level. I wouldn't put hin on against one of them Kennys from Buffers Alley who would try to break him up. Parlon is still an option at 12, 14 or 15. I could rely on Dooley in the last minutes of a tight match in summer though.
Deadandgone wrote:Plain of the herbs why is shane dooley no 13 anyway. On recent form he is not doin it from general play only frees. Joe bergin can do that. Parlon. Ryan and murray will all be pushin for a spot and this will lead an all round better team in the end. If a player thinks he is on the team week in week out he can get complacent.

Id have to agree with you regarding Shane Dooley, he is worth his place for the free taking alone. However work can still be done to improve his general play immensely. Number one has to be his insistence to play from behind at intercounty level. He is more than capable of hurling on the half forward line at club level and has consistently shown his ability to take on his man and more at both levels. I would actually like to see him tried on the wing, with Joe Brady in the centre and Joe Bergin on the opposite wing.

An inside forward line with Cathal Parlon at full forward. He has the reach, the speed and ability to make scores there, with the corners being filled by Sean Ryan / Eoin Ryan / Damien Murray / Brendan Murphy. There are options in the forward line for once! However all are inconsistent at intercounty level bar dooley and that is again mainly down to his free taking. I think the inside forward line has to provide a serious goal threat, I think an extremely fast full forward line who are unafraid of taking on their men at every opportunity is the way to go. For that purpose the likes of Sean Ryan, Cathal Parlon & Eoin Ryan fit the bill especially.

Sharp Eye
All Star

Post by Sharp Eye »

I think Stephen Egan and Brian Watkins should be considered for the corner back positions. I also think that Conneely and Kelly from Rynaghs should get an chance at midfield. The return of the Coolderry forwards will greatly improve our scoring power.

GreatDayForTheParish
All Star

Post by GreatDayForTheParish »

Sharp Eye wrote:I think Stephen Egan and Brian Watkins should be considered for the corner back positions. I also think that Conneely and Kelly from Rynaghs should get an chance at midfield. The return of the Coolderry forwards will greatly improve our scoring power.
Egan is out injured following an operation I believe. Watkins is no longer on the panel and the Rynaghs lads just aren't good enough.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

Woah, there, horsey. You’re misrepresenting me there with your first sentence. Your positioning of your comma in the first sentence implies I wrote that freetaking was Dooley’s only attribute. I cited Dooley’s freetaking but also noted his goal threat and his ability to score off both sides as a reason why he should be on the team.
backofthenet wrote:
Plain of the Herbs wrote:Fair question. Frees first - Dooley has a higher conversion rate than anyone else. He pointed the pressure frees like against Antrim and Galway in 2010. much as I think the world of Bergin as a hurler, his free-conversion rate is not as high as Dooley's.

Id have to agree with you regarding Shane Dooley, he is worth his place for the free taking alone. However work can still be done to improve his general play immensely. Number one has to be his insistence to play from behind at intercounty level. He is more than capable of hurling on the half forward line at club level and has consistently shown his ability to take on his man and more at both levels. I would actually like to see him tried on the wing, with Joe Brady in the centre and Joe Bergin on the opposite wing.

An inside forward line with Cathal Parlon at full forward. He has the reach, the speed and ability to make scores there, with the corners being filled by Sean Ryan / Eoin Ryan / Damien Murray / Brendan Murphy. There are options in the forward line for once! However all are inconsistent at intercounty level bar dooley and that is again mainly down to his free taking. I think the inside forward line has to provide a serious goal threat, I think an extremely fast full forward line who are unafraid of taking on their men at every opportunity is the way to go. For that purpose the likes of Sean Ryan, Cathal Parlon & Eoin Ryan fit the bill especially.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

And you're a 'Sharp Eye'! Mother of Divine God! Anyone else from Banagher who's not able to save their own club you'd like to include?
Sharp Eye wrote:I think Stephen Egan and Brian Watkins should be considered for the corner back positions. I also think that Conneely and Kelly from Rynaghs should get an chance at midfield. The return of the Coolderry forwards will greatly improve our scoring power.