Offaly v Antrim N.H.L 18-3-2012

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
townman
All Star

Offaly v Antrim N.H.L 18-3-2012

Post by townman »

must win game on sunday the team is the same that played wexford lets hope for a 70 minute plus this time
go for offaly by 6 points.

jimbob17
All Star

Re: Offaly v Antrim N.H.L 18-3-2012

Post by jimbob17 »

dont think that we are all that far ahead of antrim to be honest. remember 2 years ago when we needed a pont at the death to win it. while teams will be short the club finalists, this is a must win game for Offaly and Antrim alike as both are probably behind Clare and Limerick in the group and are competing for the spots to stay ahead of laoise with wexford to avoid a relegation game. id be reasonably confident but i think that it could be only a core or so that will separate the teams. Remember antrim beat wexford in the 1st round so they wont fear us at all...
jimbob

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

il go with townman and say offaly by 7 or 8 points, we need to win all our home games and make tullamore a hard place for teams to come ie wexford in the championship . antrim beat wexford but its always hard for teams to get a win up in antrim , solid 70 + mins needed sunday and get the ball rolling again.

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

i worrid about this game now.
What the old saying "Never give a sucker an even break"
I know Antrim are improving. they had a good result against Wexford and a little behind Clare.
So this is a real test of our metal.
Good team stand up and fight together.
“Common sense is not so common.”

kinnittyman
All Star

Post by kinnittyman »

Maybe the apathy on this site towards this game transferred itself to the panel today as it was a mediocre showing at best from Offaly.

Thers's no real need to go into analysis about this game as more the next two weeks will be the games that will make or break our league campaign but some points that I'd like to make are:

1. Crazy decision to start Stephen Wynne at wing back (corner back or nowhere in my opinion) and Dermot Mooney at midfield and leave James Rigney on the bench. This is not club bias just a cold hard fact.

2. Does Shane Dooley have a phobia of hurling from the front?

3. Joe Bergin in full flight is almost impossible to mark but it's a pity he didn't get a run at 14 as Colin Egan didn't make much headway after the first 5 minutes.

4. Will Joe Brady be centre forward come the summer? Conor Mahon managed 2 points but was fairly annoymous other than this.

5. It seems we have too many "hurlers" from number 9 backwards. 1-17 conceded today.

6. The attendence was surely no more than 400!!! There probably would have been 15,000 at it if it was in Birr.

Lots to work on. Next Saturday night should be a good barometer of where we're at. Roll on.

joe bloggs
All Star

Post by joe bloggs »

[quote="kinnittyman"]

6. The attendence was surely no more than 400!!! There probably would have been 15,000 at it if it was in Birr.

[/quote

It appears that many others like myself will not travel to OCP for league games when there is a perfectly good alternative in the south of the county that would tempt a lot more supporters to a league game.
Until the Co.Board acknowledge this there will continue for a very long time to be pitiful attendances at these games
'if your not part of the solution, your part of the problem' J. McClean

GreatDayForTheParish
All Star

Post by GreatDayForTheParish »

A strange game today - even when Offaly were nine points up it could hardly be said they were playing well. A lethargic, heavy pace throughout not helped by the deplorable attendance. Nine points up at one stage, this was cut to four as Antrim (with the wind) lorded it from the 47th to the 60th minute. With the spectre of Wexford Park on everybody's mind, Offaly did just about enough to see it out.

The forwards struggled for much of the game, particularly in the creation of space with the Antrim goalkeeper not required to make a save after the only goal went in. Deliveries were poor, passes were missed and runs weren't made, as a unit they failed to function. Yet, 1-22 was still scored. Best of the offensive six were the two wing forwards, Joe Bergin and Brendan Murphy, the two clipping some fantastic points. Bergin in particular was in irrepressible form and gave a reminder to all of the value he can provide from the half forward line. That he is a loss to the full forward line though, there is no doubt as both Colin Egan and James Mulrooney, made little impact. Dylan Hayden remains a massive loss.

Midfield consisted of Diarmuid Horan partnered by Dermot Mooney for 25/30 mins and James Rigney for the remainder. Horan was the standout here, doing more than enough to merit more time on another day.

Rory Hanniffy and Derek Morkan were the pick of the defenders. That another sizeable score was conceded is unfortunate, although given the current nationwide endemic of this that is currently occurring, panic is not required. Yet.

Finally and of significant note were some of Offaly's lamentable efforts in the tackle. This is a continuing trend in Offaly's play. It would be interesting to note how many of Antrim's scores were from frees. Lord knows we conceded enough, in every sector of the pitch.

kinnittyman wrote:Maybe the apathy on this site towards this game transferred itself to the panel today as it was a mediocre showing at best from Offaly.

Thers's no real need to go into analysis about this game as more the next two weeks will be the games that will make or break our league campaign but some points that I'd like to make are:

1. Crazy decision to start Stephen Wynne at wing back (corner back or nowhere in my opinion) and Dermot Mooney at midfield and leave James Rigney on the bench. This is not club bias just a cold hard fact.

3. Joe Bergin in full flight is almost impossible to mark but it's a pity he didn't get a run at 14 as Colin Egan didn't make much headway after the first 5 minutes.

4. Will Joe Brady be centre forward come the summer? Conor Mahon managed 2 points but was fairly annoymous other than this.

5. It seems we have too many "hurlers" from number 9 backwards. 1-17 conceded today.

Lots to work on. Next Saturday night should be a good barometer of where we're at. Roll on.

Just to address these:

1: Did Wynne not spend so a proportion of the second half in corner back?

2: It would appear so.

3: Addressed above.

4: No.

5: I don't agree with this or that phrase. The scores conceded area a concern but by and large, the defence is being picked in a reasonable fashion. Undoubtably many will have their own ideas on who the back six should be, myself included, but I guarantee you 95% of Offaly hurling supporters would wholehartedly agree with at least four of the defenders picked today. Beyond that, nobody could claim that any of Bakers defensive choices have been 'off the wall'. Rather than selection issues, the style of play merits greater concern. Reducing the number of frees conceded would be a good place to start.
Last edited by GreatDayForTheParish on Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.

GreatDayForTheParish
All Star

The crowd today was absolutely pathetic, 300 maximum. This in a town with a population of 12,000. It is an indictment upon all, the County Board and the supporters and can only be demoralising for the players. That is the real worry.

That O'Connor Park is a fine venue and will be used for Offaly's championship game is beyond dispute. Offaly have played in O'Connor Park an innumeruable number of times over the last few years. One or two League or Walsh Cup games will hardly make a difference to the one every two year event (at best) that is holding a championship game in O'Connor Park. The continuing disinterest, disconnect between supporters (many of which are children) and players, is it worth it? Consider this, there are now many kids who haven't seen Offaly play all in the last number of years. What effect will that have on the uptake of hurling in Offaly? What damage? In these times, and with fuel prices never going to go down, the distance and inconvenience of O'Connor Park has to be acknowledged. What a price to pay to merely to 'know' a venue for 70 mins every two years.

Surely, for a fixture such a today's, it would have made infinite more sense for it to be held in Birr (provided Birr have got their act together and are capable of holding it). At the very least it would have made financial sense as no money could have been made by the County Board today from such a humiliating attendance.

If the pre-championship games were split 50/50 between Birr and Tullamore, crowds in O'Connor Park would very well improve from the exposure the team would get in Birr. At the very least, it is worth a shot.

The merit that the Offaly hurling team represent ALL of Offaly and thus should play in its county town near the geographic centre of the county has some merit. However, the bare facts of the current situation can not be denied, whatever ones opinions are. Offaly have played their league games in O'Connor Park for the last 4/5 years with absolutely no improvement in the attendance's. In all probability they continue to decline. Those from the 'South' of the county have not been swayed by the seeming permanence of the situation, nor have those from Tullamore of the surrounding areas made any effort to go to the games in any discernable numbers. Habits have not changed and show no sign of doing so. The rights and wrongs of this are pointless and immaterial, the attendance for hurling games in O'Connor Park were and are abysmal.

None from the South complained when both U-21 football games were played in Gracefield. There were no calls for the Kildare game to be moved to a floodlight the South of the County as all saw Graceield as a great venue in football heartland to maximise the attendance and the chances of Offaly winning. For some of the senior games at least, perhaps it is time we did the same.
Last edited by GreatDayForTheParish on Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kinnittyman
All Star

Post by kinnittyman »

What benefit would this be to the team considering we hurl our home championship games in Tullamore??

And will continue to do so in the long term as Birr (as outined by health and safety) is incapable of hosting a championship sized crowd.

Think about this hypothetical situation:

You are given the Offaly senior hurling job and the Leinster draw gives you a home game in the Quarter Final. Now as manager you are well chuffed as home venue could be worth 2 to 4 points in a tight tough championship games as your players will know the venue inside out from their league campaings there. So all in all you're in a good place with the draw. But hold on a second...You suddenly find out that you are going to play your home league games in a completley different venue which in turn completley negates the fact that you have a home draw in the Championship. There goes the 2 to 4 points.

If I was the manager I'd be absolutley livid with this decision.

kinnittyman
All Star

Post by kinnittyman »

GreatDayForTheParish wrote:A strange game today - even when Offaly were nine points up it could hardly be said they were playing well. A lethargic, heavy pace throughout not helped by the deplorable attendance. Nine points up at one stage, this was cut to four as Antrim (with the wind) lorded it from the 47th to the 60th minute. With the spectre of Wexford Park on everybody's mind, Offaly did just about enough to see it out.

The forwards struggled for much of the game, particularly in the creation of space with the Antrim goalkeeper not required to make a save after the only goal went in. Deliveries were poor, passes were missed and runs weren't made, as a unit they failed to function. Yet, 1-22 was still scored. Best of the offensive six were the two wing forwards, Joe Bergin and Brendan Murphy, the two clipping some fantastic points. Bergin in particular was in irrepressible form and gave a reminder to all of the value he can provide from the half forward line. That he is a loss to the full forward line though, there is no doubt as both Colin Egan and James Mulrooney, made little impact. Dylan Hayden remains a massive loss.

Midfield consisted of Diarmuid Horan partnered by Dermot Mooney for 25/30 mins and James Rigney for the remainder. Horan was the standout here, doing more than enough to merit more time on another day.

Rory Hanniffy and Derek Morkan were the pick of the defenders. That another sizeable score was conceded is unfortunate, although given the current nationwide endemic of this that is currently occurring, panic is not required. Yet.

Finally and of significant note were some of Offaly's lamentable efforts in the tackle. This is a continuing trend in Offaly's play. It would be interesting to note how many of Antrim's scores were from frees. Lord knows we conceded enough, in every sector of the pitch.

kinnittyman wrote:Maybe the apathy on this site towards this game transferred itself to the panel today as it was a mediocre showing at best from Offaly.

Just to address these:

1: Did Wynne not spend so a proportion of the second half in corner back?

2: It would appear so.

3: Addressed above.

4: No.

5: I don't agree with this or that phrase. The scores conceded area a concern but by and large, the defence is being picked in a reasonable fashion. Undoubtably many will have their own ideas on who the back six should be, myself included, but I guarantee you 95% of Offaly hurling supporters would wholehartedly agree with at least four of the defenders picked today. Beyond that, nobody could claim that any of Bakers defensive choices have been 'off the wall'. Rather that selection issues, the style of play merits greater concern. Reducing the number of frees conceded would be a good place to start.
Yes Stephen Wynne was placed in corner back after the introducion of James Rigney. But I'd be concerned that Stephen Wynne who in my opinion has the ability to be an option at corner back isn't going to be selected in his best postion. I agree that this wasnt an "off the wall" selection but why oh why can't we pick players in their best positions??

And what actually is the story with Dylan Hayden?

GreatDayForTheParish
All Star

kinnittyman wrote: You are given the Offaly senior hurling job and the Leinster draw gives you a home game in the Quarter Final. Now as manager you are well chuffed as home venue could be worth 2 to 4 points in a tight tough championship games as your players will know the venue inside out from their league campaings there. So all in all you're in a good place with the draw. But hold on a second...You suddenly find out that you are going to play your home league games in a completley different venue which in turn completley negates the fact that you have a home draw in the Championship. There goes the 2 to 4 points.

Hardly. The value of a home venue is derived mainly from the bias of a large crowd in your favour and not the rectangular piece of grass that is practically the same at all non-Croke Park inter-county venues.

I'm not aware of the football U-21's ever having played as a team in Gracefield yet none can deny the advantage that the large crowd in a small place conferred upon them.
That they had rarely played on the pitch before had little or nothing to do with it. The crowd - everything.

As for Dylan Hayden - I haven't heard anything. I can only assume injury?

DAF
All Star

Post by DAF »

GreatDayForTheParish wrote:The crowd today was absolutely pathetic, 300 maximum. This in a town with a population of 12,000. It is an indictment upon all, the County Board and the supporters and can only be demoralising for the players. That is the real worry.

That O'Connor Park is a fine venue and will be used for Offaly's championship game is beyond dispute. Offaly have played in O'Connor Park an innumeruable number of times over the last few years. One or two League or Walsh Cup games will hardly make a difference to the one every two year event (at best) that is holding a championship game in O'Connor Park. The continuing disinterest, disconnect between supporters (many of which are children) and players, is it worth it? Consider this, there are now many kids who haven't seen Offaly play all in the last number of years. What effect will that have on the uptake of hurling in Offaly? What damage? In these times, and with fuel prices never going to go down, the distance and inconvenience of O'Connor Park has to be acknowledged. What a price to pay to merely to 'know' a venue for 70 mins every two years.

Surely, for a fixture such a today's, it would have made infinite more sense for it to be held in Birr (provided Birr have got their act together and are capable of holding it). At the very least it would have made financial sense as no money could have been made by the County Board today from such a humiliating attendance.

If the pre-championship games were split 50/50 between Birr and Tullamore, crowds in O'Connor Park would very well improve from the exposure the team would get in Birr. At the very least, it is worth a shot.

The merit that the Offaly hurling team represent ALL of Offaly and thus should play in its county town near the geographic centre of the county has some merit. However, the bare facts of the current situation can not be denied, whatever ones opinions are. Offaly have played their league games in O'Connor Park for the last 4/5 years with absolutely no improvement in the attendance's. In all probability they continue to decline. Those from the 'South' of the county have not been swayed by the seeming permanence of the situation, nor have those from Tullamore of the surrounding areas made any effort to go to the games in any discernable numbers. Habits have not changed and show no sign of doing so. The rights and wrongs of this are pointless and immaterial, the attendance for hurling games in O'Connor Park were and are abysmal.

None from the South complained when both U-21 football games were played in Gracefield. There were no calls for the Kildare game to be moved to a floodlight the South of the County as all saw Graceield as a great venue in football heartland to maximise the attendance and the chances of Offaly winning. For some of the senior games at least, perhaps it is time we did the same.
If championship games are going to be played in O'Connor park then League games have to played there aswell.

How many more would have attended if the match was in Birr.Was the poor attendance as much down to the fact that Offaly Antrim matches in recent years have tended to be one sided in favour of Offaly and dont provide much value for money.

The lads from the south dont seem to be great at supporting the hurlers either.The Offaly crowd at the championship match against Dublin in Croke Park last year was disgraceful I would say there wasnt even 1000 from Offaly at that match.

kinnittyman
All Star

Post by kinnittyman »

GreatDayForTheParish wrote:
kinnittyman wrote: You are given the Offaly senior hurling job and the Leinster draw gives you a home game in the Quarter Final. Now as manager you are well chuffed as home venue could be worth 2 to 4 points in a tight tough championship games as your players will know the venue inside out from their league campaings there. So all in all you're in a good place with the draw. But hold on a second...You suddenly find out that you are going to play your home league games in a completley different venue which in turn completley negates the fact that you have a home draw in the Championship. There goes the 2 to 4 points.

Hardly. The value of a home venue is derived mainly from the bias of a large crowd in your favour and not the rectangular piece of grass that is practically the same at all non-Croke Park inter-county venues.

I'm not aware of the football U-21's ever having played as a team in Gracefield yet none can deny the advantage that the large crowd in a small place conferred upon them.
That they had rarely played on the pitch before had little or nothing to do with it. The crowd - everything.

Bit of an unfair comparison regarding the Offaly under 21 footballers simply because they don't play league games therefore pre-championship games for them can be played anywhere and I'd be fairly confident they did a lot of work in Gracefield to get themselves up to speed with the set up there. While I take your point regarding the crowd having a lot to do with it, familiarity with the pitch, surroundings and whatever else has to aid a team.

joe bloggs
All Star

Post by joe bloggs »

kinnittyman wrote:
GreatDayForTheParish wrote:

Bit of an unfair comparison regarding the Offaly under 21 footballers simply because they don't play league games therefore pre-championship games for them can be played anywhere and I'd be fairly confident they did a lot of work in Gracefield to get themselves up to speed with the set up there. While I take your point regarding the crowd having a lot to do with it, familiarity with the pitch, surroundings and whatever else has to aid a team.
If Gracefield is good enough for U21 football, then Birr is good enough for minor and U21 hurling.
Offaly are playing Wexford in Tullamore in the minor championship in a few weeks time and i can guarantee you they would have much better support in Birr and a much better atmosphere. I would say for certain that if the minor management were let choose the venue they would bring the wexford lads into St. Brendans park where with the home crowd nearer the action the players would be lifted. That is the real benefit of playing in Birr for Offaly teams, and at the moment I would take a win any way I could get it at underage.
The last two years saw the minor hurlers bow out of the leinster championship before paltry attendances in OCP v Kilkenny and Westmeath respectively, with the latter being played there against team management wishes as Tullamore was as close to the Hurling people of westmeath as south offaly is, and as a result there was as many from westmeath than offaly at the game
'if your not part of the solution, your part of the problem' J. McClean

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Cripes that was woegeous. Seen one Offaly v Antrim match and you’ve seen ‘em all. I can only assume they had the legs ran off them during the week. Two things:-

Brendan Murphy started on the left side of midfield with Mooney at left-half forward. Murphy moved to wing-forward when Rigney came on.

There was always going to be a slack attendance today given the Club Final yesterday, and match-goers who were going to choose one match were going to choose Croke Park, and then do the family thing today.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.