Team v Limerick

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
athlumneyboy
County player

Team v Limerick

Post by athlumneyboy »

Hi Lads i reckon this will be the team for Sunday after talking to a few lads back home

1) Mullins
2) Franks
3) Kenny
4) Verney
5) Horan
6) Oakley
7)Brady
8) Mahon
9) Hanniffy
10) Murphy
11) Joe Brady
12) Hayden
13) Carroll
14) Bergin
15) Dooley

Kemo Sabe
All Star

Re: Team v Limerick

Post by Kemo Sabe »

that looks like the best team we could put at the moment but id worry bout high ball coming in on our fullback line that doesnt have great height . id say brady wont stay in the half forward line either more than likely be moved to fullforword in a switch with bergin at some stage.
great history hoping for a better future

faithful till I die
Senior

Post by faithful till I die »

Team looks about as strong as it could be. Hope the lads do their stuff and prove the doubters wrong. I think talk of us losing by 15 points is way off the mark. Also really hope none of the under 21s get a knock. Could be a big couple of weeks for Offaly GAA starting with the minors tonight.
Offaly awoke never more to sleep.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

How I'd line them out

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

The team I would have liked to see picked with everyone fit and well would be as follows:-

Mullins
Franks, Kenny, Verney
Horan, Oakley, K Brady,
Ryan, Mahon
Molloy, Rory H, Murphy
Carroll, Bergin, Dooley

Having Joseph Bergin and Rory Hanniffy back again gives extra scoring options up front. While Bergin has much to offer somewhere in the middle eight at the moment he needs to get his confidence back and would be best placed to do this infront of goal. Hanniffy should have too much hurling for Paudie O’Dwyer and even if Brian Geary lines out Rory should do OK on him. Brian Carroll will likely be marked by Damien Reale who is a good defender.

I’d move Brendan Murphy over to the left wing. He tended to turn outside when he gained possession the last day and away from any supporting players. Mark Foley is a big threat and will be Limerick’s key defender if Brian Geary doesn’t start. I would start Derek Molloy on him though I see Molloy is an injury doubt. I think Shane Dooley looks the part, moreso than Dylan Hayden.

The defence who played most of the game against Kilkenny should start – that is with Kevin Brady restored though I’d place Diarmuid Horan on Niall Moran following Horan’s performance on Martin Comerford the last day. Ger Oakley faces a tall order on Ollie Moran though. Still, it wouldn’t be the first time Oakley has come through a tall order like this.

I wouldn’t worry about the height situation in the full back line. I accept Limerick do play the ball in high but David Kenny is tall and neither David Franks or Michael Verney will be at a height disadvantage against Andrew O’Shaughnessy, Donncha Sheehan, Donie Ryan or the Tobins.

Hard to know about midfield. This was Limerick’s best line against Clare. Donl O’Grady is one of the more underrated hurlers in the country while Mike O’Brien is robust and both can take a score from long range. Offaly really need Conor Mahon to compete here physically. I’d probably complement him with a runner, perhaps Sean Ryan to try put limerick on the back foot.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Team named.

Brian Mullins; David Franks, David Kenny, Michael Verney; Diarmuid Horan, Ger Oakley, Kevin Brady; Rory Hanniffy, Brendan Murphy; Brian Carroll, Joe Brady, Daniel Currams; Derek Molloy, Joe Bergin, Shane Dooley.

Molloy still touch and go, so he may be subject to a late change. Slightly controversial inclusion of Daniel Currams seeing as he didn't get the start for the under 21s and he'll have it all to do to make any inroads in this game, but hopefully he'll rise to it. Personally I'd have a lot of time for what Conor Mahon brings to the team and would have found a place for him myself, even allowing for his slightly inelegant style.

I'm very suspicious of taking Carroll too far away from goals - he's our main man by a country mile this weather and I don't think that wrestling with Mark Foley for puckout ball is going to suit - though if Molloy doesn't make it one would presume that he'd drop into the corner then with Murphy moving back to the wing and then either Mahon or possibly Seán Ryan to midfield.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Limerick line out

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Brian Murray, Damien Reale, Stephen Lucey, Seamus Hickey; Mark O'Riordan, Brian Geary, Mark Foley; Donal O'Grady, Wayne McNamara; Mike O'Brien, Ollie Moran, Niall Moran; Andrew O'Shaughnessy, Seanie O'Connor, Donie Ryan.

Geary in for O'Dwyer as expected, McNamara returns to midfield, O'Brien to the wing at the expense of Fitzgerald and Donir Ryan in for sheehan.

As for the Offaly team, the half forward line looks to be the weakest line. Hard to see any targets for Brian Mullins when pucking out, particularly Carroll facing Mark Foley. I remember Foley clearing ball after ball off Carroll in the league in Birr in '04. Joe Brady doesn't catch much and could well be outhurled by Geary. Backs look fine as does the full forward line. Then again, as Lone Shark says, that could all change if Molloy doesn't make it.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

athlumneyboy
County player

Post by athlumneyboy »

POTH you are right about the high ball in the half forward line but i reckon Molloy wont make it so things will probably change. Joe Dooley has put pressure on u21 selectors to pick Currams but knowing Padraig he is his own man and won't bow to pressure from any one, On the u21 i would like to Paul Bermingham get a game heard he played well against Limerick i rate him highly

swiftpost
County player

Post by swiftpost »

Surprised Conor Mahon isn't starting,maybe he is carrying a knock. Brendan Murphy lucky to be started. Daniel Currams is a good hurler and can get scores.

We have a few subs that could make a difference if needed, Hayden,Ryan,Mahon and Rigney.

bula bula
All Star

Post by bula bula »

Can`t really see Carroll starting in the half forwards, well hope not anyway. He would be wasted there and definitely need him leading the attack. Taking it that Molloy probably wont make it, I would have Conor Mahon come in and a small shuffle to allow Carroll into his best position.
"Ohhh mamma!"

baz
Junior A

Post by baz »

Joe brady should be full and bergin beside him .Would be a big help to bergin also ,as less pressure to win his own ball and be able to take up better positions for scores .How murphy keeps getting on the team ,ive given up thinking about that .Mahon center forward i thought would be worth a try ,would make a complete nuiscience of himself there for a center back .As long as they go well and dont get mangaled like the last few meetings with them and the under 21 could out of it confidence intact and injury free .
Its amazing the amount of people saying how offaly hurling is finished for years and nothing coming on ,all because they dont want to hear critisim of dooley (as a friend said we had a better team last year ) but yet the same people ran down mc intyre and other managers (a bloody cop out answer ).Ill still say the hurlers in offaly are every bit as good as limerick ,clare ,wexford and give waterford ,galway & tipp a big run for their money ,if our players we giving confidence and proper leadership.
Still think they run limerick close as things dont seem quiet right over there in limerick .

The Dash
Junior B

Post by The Dash »

Offaly will have a big game and WILL win on saturday, i have n doubt, you heard i here first. . .
Face the ball, the game is on.

Offalys Future
All Star

Post by Offalys Future »

The Dash wrote:Offaly will have a big game and WILL win on saturday, i have n doubt, you heard i here first. . .
Your crazy and shouldnt be giving out false hope. There isn't a hope in hell Offaly will win this game saturday.
" In The Presence Of Confidence Doubt Cannot Exist "

Loughers
All Star

Post by Loughers »

If The Dash wants to believe that Offaly can win, let him.
Esto Fidelis

bula bula
All Star

Post by bula bula »

Offalys Future wrote:
The Dash wrote:Offaly will have a big game and WILL win on saturday, i have n doubt, you heard i here first. . .
Your crazy and shouldnt be giving out false hope. There isn't a hope in hell Offaly will win this game saturday.
I knew the minute I seen your name under the latest post OF that you would be knocking someones view or coming over all downbeat. At least The Dash has got some optimism. I am not saying that we are going to win but equally I am not as certain as you are that we are not. Enough with the doom and gloom already!
"Ohhh mamma!"

Offalys Future
All Star

Post by Offalys Future »

its not doom and gloom it's in my opinion being realistic.
With the Offaly team that i have heard will be playing i think we will be lucky to get within 10 points of Limerick.
The gaelic grounds should suit offaly if they had a gameplan and tactics which they don't.
This idea of going back to Joe Brady drives me nuts. Are you kidding me lads defending Joe Bradys inclusion.
A complete waste of time.
" In The Presence Of Confidence Doubt Cannot Exist "