Me head can't take it anymore

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Over The Black Spot
County player

Re: Me head can't take it anymore

Post by Over The Black Spot »

duckdiggler wrote:And since when is a full stop called a period in Ireland ?
Well, a period does put a full stop to you know what so I see where he's coming from!!!!

Personally, I don't mind what way a post is worded as long as people use proper punctuation. A full paragraph without full stops and maybe capitals (although not as bad) is fair annoying to read.

faithful till I die
Senior

Post by faithful till I die »

Is this really happening or am I having a weird dream ? Surely after the couple of weeks we have had, there are more important items to be discussed. I recognise the ironic fact that I am continuing this pointless debate whilst giving out about it.
Offaly awoke never more to sleep.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

faithful till I die wrote:Is this really happening or am I having a weird dream ? Surely after the couple of weeks we have had, there are more important items to be discussed. I recognise the ironic fact that I am continuing this pointless debate whilst giving out about it.
Welcome to the forum Taoiseach :D

bula bula
All Star

Post by bula bula »

I think there is definitely more important items to be discussed but it is always easier to discuss them if every point made is easily read and understood. A third level education is not required for this.
"Ohhh mamma!"

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

I've a question

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Something I've always ment to ask but never got around to asking - who are google [bot] and yahoo [bot] on the list of users browsing the forum?
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

TheManFromFerbane
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by TheManFromFerbane »

Me no good at English!? That's unpossible!!

(Got there ahead of ya AZ :D )
The night is darkest before the dawn

Muck Savage
All Star

Post by Muck Savage »

Lads, I'm not trying to say ye need a 3rd level education to post here or anything, it's just difficult to understand some posts when they are coded and I just give up half way through them, sorry :( It's also hard for me to take someone serious saying "Roe is a thick B*$*%x" when it's in the "Nokia form", maybe I'm the thick one :?

gutless08 wrote:have 2 say i enjoy readind sum great posts and its a refreshing site , but now i see the nerds are coming out in force, now guys come on lets all back each other now :(
Look it's great to see more people on the board, God knows we need some sort of help with Offaly GAA, but I didn't drit in here in the last week. I've been around since the old board was started so maybe it's old age or the nerd bit of me but I just get fustrated with the text message slang. Yer using a Keyboard and your not being charged by the letter. With some posts the point can get lost.

duckdiggler - Your correct, spent a bit of time over there bit on the other coast.

Anyway, I'm a bit cooled off today, so post what ye like :D

TheManFromFerbane
All Star

Much like the EU which started out as an economic co-operation between a few countries this board started out as a way to get Offaly supporters to arrange meeting places for games to improve the atmosphere and noise levels and to chat about current Offaly affairs.

Also much like the EU it has grown, expanded to take it new people, some of those people’s cultures are different to the socially accepted norm already in place, it doesn't make them right or wrong, just different.

New challenges face the site now (as with the EU). We probably have members in every club in the county, and if we really wanted to, could bring motions to those clubs to try and get them discussed at county board level.

Up to now the board was self policing, users kept the posts in the bounds of decency (if not good taste :D ). Personal abuse has been at a minimum with the focus nearly always kept on an individual’s sporting attributes rather than their personal ones and this has worked splendidly so far.

But now like the EU things are getting messy (Seven posts for one game was a bit ridiculous) so here is the question. Do we go down the boards.ie (Lisbon Treaty) route and try and bring in laws, guidelines that all posters have to stick to or face getting banned or do we stay on the course that we've been on up to now. A course that has served us brilliantly up to now.

I for one am quite happy the way the site is going now. New people are coming in and giving another view, if their posts don't conform to normal standards I don't really care, if their posts are unreadable then I don't read them.

I suppose its ones for the sites moderators to say whether they want the hassle of policing the board or not. We are, lest we forget, operating on a site put up by their good will and with the click of a mouse it could all be gone.

Bord na Mona man
All Star

Re: I've a question

Plain of the Herbs wrote:Something I've always ment to ask but never got around to asking - who are google [bot] and yahoo [bot] on the list of users browsing the forum?
They are active Offaly GAA fans!
These are automated (ro)bots that are constantly trawling sites looking for updates to add the their indexes.
So when you google certain search terms, you should be given results for this site, if they match.

Bord na Mona man
All Star

TheManFromFerbane wrote:Much like the EU which started out as an economic co-operation between a few countries this board started out as a way to get Offaly supporters to arrange meeting places for games to improve the atmosphere and noise levels and to chat about current Offaly affairs.

Also much like the EU it has grown, expanded to take it new people, some of those people’s cultures are different to the socially accepted norm already in place, it doesn't make them right or wrong, just different.

New challenges face the site now (as with the EU). We probably have members in every club in the county, and if we really wanted to, could bring motions to those clubs to try and get them discussed at county board level.

Up to now the board was self policing, users kept the posts in the bounds of decency (if not good taste :D ). Personal abuse has been at a minimum with the focus nearly always kept on an individual’s sporting attributes rather than their personal ones and this has worked splendidly so far.

But now like the EU things are getting messy (Seven posts for one game was a bit ridiculous) so here is the question. Do we go down the boards.ie (Lisbon Treaty) route and try and bring in laws, guidelines that all posters have to stick to or face getting banned or do we stay on the course that we've been on up to now. A course that has served us brilliantly up to now.

I for one am quite happy the way the site is going now. New people are coming in and giving another view, if their posts don't conform to normal standards I don't really care, if their posts are unreadable then I don't read them.

I suppose its ones for the sites moderators to say whether they want the hassle of policing the board or not. We are, lest we forget, operating on a site put up by their good will and with the click of a mouse it could all be gone.
I think the forum has worked well so far.

The main danger would be that posters start getting very abusive towards players.
We should be discuss aspects of their play without resorting to insults.

gutless08
County player

Post by gutless08 »

MUCK SAVAGE, possibly you didnt walk in here last week, but sum of us ,myself included have watched offaly for the last 20 years. okay so im learning slowly and cant paste other comments and stuff, but im not here for ego. with the last couple of weeks having me in the horrors, this is the last thing i want to chat about.
i seen a comment within the last 2 days where another member said You are A GOBSHITE SURELY THIS IS NOT ACCEPTABLE NEVER MIND UR FAMOUS NOKIA SPEAK .

TheManFromFerbane
All Star

gutless08 wrote:okay so im learning slowly and cant paste other comments and stuff, but im not here for ego.
It's easy gutless. All you do is click the "Quote" button on the post that you want to talk about and that's it. The computer will do the rest and then you can add the text you want to write under it. You can even remove some of the text (like I did above) if there is a particular point you want to discuss.

I think its fair to say that what most of the established people here are worried about is that this site will turn into hogansh*te. That site was ruined by people just coming on abusing players and saying ridiculous stuff about how some 50 GK for a Junior C club should be the GK for the Offaly seniors etc...

To be honest I think the text speak is more a symptom of a virus people are worried about this site getting infected with!!

I think it would be a very interesting social study to see how the established members react to the new members, now that would be nerdy :lol:
Last edited by TheManFromFerbane on Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gutless08
County player

Post by gutless08 »

[
It's easy gutless. All you do is click the "Quote" button on the post that you want to talk about and that's it. The computer will do the rest and then you can add the text you want to write under it. You can even remove some of the text (like I did above) if there is a particular point you want to discuss.

thanks man from ferbane, appreciate it.

Muck Savage
All Star

Post by Muck Savage »

gutless08 wrote: i seen a comment within the last 2 days where another member said You are A GOBSHITE SURELY THIS IS NOT ACCEPTABLE NEVER MIND UR FAMOUS NOKIA SPEAK .
Who said I was a Gobshite?????? :evil: :evil: :evil: Where was that comment :evil: :evil: :evil:

gutless08 wrote:MUCK SAVAGE, possibly you didnt walk in here last week, but sum of us ,myself included have watched offaly for the last 20 years. okay so im learning slowly and cant paste other comments and stuff, but im not here for ego. with the last couple of weeks having me in the horrors, this is the last thing i want to chat about.
Look, I'm delighted that there is new blood coming into the team (unlike our county team) and it's great to have more interested in the GAA in Offaly. It makes no difference if your supporting Offaly 1 month or 50 years, all welcome. I just want to make sure the newer lads are coached the right way and we're all playing to the same game plan (again unlike our county team) :( Now I could be considered a bully as one of the older people and if you were here maybe I'd hit you a slap to get you off the squad but I won't be doing that. Your welcome to post what you like, I just wanted to be able to understand what your points are. :wink:

gutless08
County player

Post by gutless08 »

Who said I was a Gobshite?????? :evil: :evil: :evil: Where was that comment :evil: :evil: :evil:

it wasnt said about you,but it was said, i just wonder why no uproar over it

maybe I'd hit you a slap to get you off the squad but I won't be doing that.

no wouldnt be a good idea unless the gpa are paying your vhi :wink: