Me head can't take it anymore

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Muck Savage
All Star

Me head can't take it anymore

Post by Muck Savage »

Lads it's doing me head in :x For Christ sake ye all went to school, ye know how to turn on a computer anyway. The bloody grammar and spelling is shocking over the past few weeks. I don't expect everyone to be perfect but some of the posts here in the past few weeks have me thinking I'm not reading English anymore.

Spelling
For Christ sake yer not doing that text messaging crap so you won't get charged for extra letters or running over the number of letters you use. Cut out the 2 and 4 crap and put it in as to and for. Good is spelt good not gud! Some of the posts are almost coded at this stage and it takes forever to try make out what yer trying to talk about

Basic rules grammar rules

Periods
Use a period at the end of a complete sentence that is a statement.

Capitalization
Capitalize the first word of a quoted sentence.

I'm not trying to be a grumpy auld lad but it's doing me nut in, this dung :x

Sydthebeat
All Star

Re: Me head can't take it anymore

Post by Sydthebeat »

The irony of Muck Savage being the civilised one...... :D

Oceans 15
County player

Post by Oceans 15 »

Muck Savage wrote:Lads it's doing me head in :x For Christ sake ye all went to school, ye know how to turn on a computer anyway. The bloody grammar and spelling is shocking over the past few weeks. I don't expect everyone to be perfect but some of the posts here in the past few weeks have me thinking I'm not reading English anymore.

Spelling
For Christ sake yer not doing that text messaging crap so you won't get charged for extra letters or running over the number of letters you use. Cut out the 2 and 4 crap and put it in as to and for. Good is spelt good not gud! Some of the posts are almost coded at this stage and it takes forever to try make out what yer trying to talk about

Basic rules grammar rules

Periods
Use a period at the end of a complete sentence that is a statement.

Capitalization
Capitalize the first word of a quoted sentence.

I'm not trying to be a grumpy auld lad but it's doing me nut in, this dung :x

Hey Muck Man "Capitalization" is spelt Capitalisation :D :D :D

Killer B
Intermediate

Post by Killer B »

How sad - A topic on spelling & grammar.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

duckdiggler
Junior B

Post by duckdiggler »

And since when is a full stop called a period in Ireland ?

Muck Savage must have spent some time over in America playing for New York to pick up that lingo ?

C U LTR - apparently I've just shouted that !!

Heh heh

Archangel
All Star
Club: Ballycommon

Post by Archangel »

I'm with Mr.Savage on this one! On you phone/Bebo/myspace/ wherever you can use TXT SPK.
This is an open forum, where open discussion takes place, so in this instance I always refer back to my basic mantra...

TXT SPK

From an informal note to an important business communication, there’s almost nothing that can’t be made to sound like the syntactically inept burping of an emotionally retarded 12 year old with TEXT SPEAK! Why use the word ‘to’ when you could move your hands off the letters and up to the number ‘2’, thereby saving yourself the massive effort of having to type an extra letter AND making you look like an ill-educated, snot-dribbling moron in the process! English is the proud international language of business, shipping and aviation. With TEXT SPEAK we can reduce it to the grunting, vowel-less, comma free, lower case lingua franca of the relentlessly stupid!

Thank you. :D
Blasphemy is a victimless crime

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Translation attached, in case some of the Nokia speak folks didn't catch what Muck Savage said:

lds its dng me head in fr chrst sk ye al wnt 2 school ye knw hw 2 trn on a cmptr anywy. th bloody grmmr and spllng is shckng ovr th pst fw weeks. i dnt expct evryn 2 be prfct bt sm of th psts hr in th pst fw weeks hv me thnkng im nt readng englsh anymr.spllngfr chrst sk yr nt dng tht txt mssgng crp so u wnt gt chrgd fr extr lttrs r rnnng ovr th nmbr of lttrs u us. ct out th 2 and 4 crp and pt it in as 2 and fr. good is splt good nt gud sum of th psts r almst cdd at ths stg and it tks frvr 2 try mk out wht yr tryng 2 tlk aboutbsc rls grmmr rlsprdss a prd at th end of a cmplt sntnc tht is a sttmnt.cptlztncptlz th frst wrd of a qtd sntnc.m nt tryng 2 be a grmpy auld ld bt its dng me nt in ths dng

gutless08
County player

Post by gutless08 »

maybe u guys should get a job with a county board, the same mentality applies. rules rules , dictatorship. maybe we didnt all go to school or college . maybe sum of us grew up with a hurl in our hand, while you guys were trying 2 get your big points for your leaving cert. sum people are passionate about offaly hurling and football, sum appear to be stuck on grammer ,txtspell etc. if u cant read sum of the posts as quick as ud like mayb u shud move on to the next one.
have 2 say i enjoy readind sum great posts and its a refreshing site , but now i see the nerds are coming out in force, now guys come on lets all back each other now :(

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Partially it's manners, but partially it's because this is an open forum for discussion and debate and it's a simple fact of life that if you make your posts difficult to read, people won't read them. It's in your own interests to be clear if you want to get your point across.

This isn't about snobbery, it's just that some people, including myself and Muck Savage too it appears, get a pain in the head from reading that stuff and stop trying about halfway through. What's the point of going to all the effort of making a post about some aspect of Offaly GAA that matters to you, only for a lot of people to be unable to read it? I'm sure there are several posters who could write wonderful stuff here as gaeilge, but the fact is that it woulf be lost on most of us so what's the point. Same principle applies.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Archangel
All Star

Post by Archangel »

gutless08 wrote: if u cant read sum of the posts as quick as ud like mayb u shud move on to the next one.
I think the reason for posting if for others to read and hear what you say.
I'm not a nerd, I wasn't in college, I just like to be able to read clearly what others say.

gutless08
County player

Post by gutless08 »

:shock:

Archangel
All Star

Post by Archangel »

:mrgreen:

DD
All Star
Location: He's on the 45.. he's on the 21..he's on the 14..a shot..

Post by DD »

gutless08 wrote:maybe u guys should get a job with a county board, the same mentality applies. rules rules , dictatorship. maybe we didnt all go to school or college . maybe sum of us grew up with a hurl in our hand, while you guys were trying 2 get your big points for your leaving cert. sum people are passionate about offaly hurling and football, sum appear to be stuck on grammer ,txtspell etc. if u cant read sum of the posts as quick as ud like mayb u shud move on to the next one.
have 2 say i enjoy readind sum great posts and its a refreshing site , but now i see the nerds are coming out in force, now guys come on lets all back each other now :(
:lol: I just hope for your sake, that you're taking the piss.

All text speak should be an automatic ban - that'll sort the problem out in no time :wink:

gutless08
County player

Post by gutless08 »

fair point archangel. to dd il offer to resiqn from the site if yee wish. :?: . unlike kildare i wont change my style overnite.

Silken Thomas
All Star

Post by Silken Thomas »

I have to agree wholeheartedly with M.S. and others on this topic.

For a start punctuation is a necessary evil. Without it writing loses shape, focus and ultimatly meaning...

In the last few months this site has received a transfusion of new positive blood who make some very interesting points. However, these productive points are lost in a swirling wind of missing commas, apostrophies, full stops and capital letters.

I don't think anyone is expecting third-level standard assignments just informative debate with some form and clarity.

It would be really appreciated. :)
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.