Offaly Senior Hurlers 2024

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
kingscounty
All Star

Re: Offaly Senior Hurlers 2024

Post by kingscounty »

Congrats to the all involved, we rode our luck which we didn’t get last year against Carlow. We were outclassed in midfield, we would need to look at improving that against Cork to avoid another big defeat.
If we didn’t get the win today management would have a lot to answer for, playing with the breeze in the second half and are forward line were way to deep, Mitchell is a great ball winner at full forward and nearly always comes away from a ruck with possession. Burke worked his socks off, vital for the progression of hurling in Offaly that we got back into the Leinster championship. Kelly made a huge difference, winning high ball and took a great goal.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Absolutely. Last year's hammering from Tipperary was never going to define them. The ones poo pooing it are those hurling snobs who think a match with a winning margin of >5 points is an abomination. The only thing I'll remember from that day is the wetting.

The preliminary quarter finals were a sop to the mid ranking counties to get them out of their provincial championship.
ditchhurler wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 9:10 pm As for next week I couldn’t care less. The players have achieved their aims for the season, I’ll be there to pay homage to them for their efforts all year
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Wonder how would offaly hurling have progressed if they were left in the leinster championship and the joe mcdonagh was a 2nd tier competition after exiting the leinster?. Like the way the football treats the TC? The way hurling is ran now is excellent. All competition s are competitive.

Doon Exile
All Star

Post by Doon Exile »

Absolutely delighted with the win today. Some absolutely brilliant performances- thought all the back line were very good especially Ben and Kiely. Ben really rolled back the years and Kiely was just super.

Midfield struggled a bit and Laois got a lot of scores from their midfield. Colin Spain did brilliantly when he came in. Oisin also did well when he came on. Duignan was really up for this one and his nearly goal set the stage for both his and rhr team’s performance. Dan Burke excellent throughout. Adam struggled with the physicality today but did his bit all the same.

Real man of the match stuff from Charlie. Out in front for every ball and his touch was excellent.

We met the team on their way to the bus so the kids got all the pictures. Team were very generous with their time 👏👏👏 felt sorry though for Adam - the whole place, including all the Laois fans were after him.
Doon exile....

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Great to win, though not necessarily a great win. That doesn't matter though. Offaly toughed it out at the finish.

Strangely I never felt we would lose. Despite all the evidence unfolding in front of me.
As I keep repeating, a comeback starts easy and gets harder, especially when you have to brace the possibility of actually taking the lead.

Hope and history collide. Laois have never beaten Offaly in Croke Park. White line fever hit them.
Remember what happened Dessie Dolan in 2003 when he had a gimmie 20 metre free in front of the goal to beat Meath for the first time in Westmeath's history?

And different players stand up at different times.
Brian Duignan's first half when he got Offaly motoring and Charlie Mitchell's brilliant 2nd half, living off scraps but still finding scores. Mark Troy's save from Purcell - the clean sheet was the difference.
And we did struggle to contain Corby and Purcell who were flying again, but the pair of them are better than any of the Dublin players who togged later for the Leinster final.

Pity there wasn't such a hectic Offaly crowd there. Though the cider mob from Laois chanting 'wanker' throughout was hardly much use to anyone.
Strangely enough they didn't hang around for long after the final whistle...

faithfulfanatic
All Star
Club: Coolderry

Post by faithfulfanatic »

Fantastic win yesterday.
Heard poor for long parts, but we hurled so well when we were good to get us over the line.
Tactics seemed off.
But none of that matters now, we got over the line and that’s what finals are for: winning.
I don’t know how the ref gave a free out against Screeney in the second half when we was clearly being fouled.

Had a Quick Look at the cork gaa forum this morning to see what they think.
I don’t think there’s a more arrogant, self entitled fan base in the country.
Absolutely no chance that Limerick, Clare or Kilkenny fans would carry on like this.
Attachments
IMG_8726.png
IMG_8726.png (369.46 KiB) Viewed 2789 times
IMG_8725.png
IMG_8725.png (296.85 KiB) Viewed 2789 times

JohnnyBoy24
County player

Post by JohnnyBoy24 »

Ahh they'll be crying more tears before the year is out , please god 🙏. They'll argue amongst themselves for a month on that..

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

While Laois ultimately will know shooting 18 wides did cost them (all teams will have wides i know)but Laois know this morning a one third of the 18 would have gotten them over the line (allowing a two over as we had wides too)Referee was finicky too to both sides I thought...one Laois call back in second half was harsh ar a time they had momentum..hats off though to Offaly, they got the two majors against a keeper who would make most top county teams..they were crucial..all the names mentioned above were brilliant today..Mitchell has to be mentioned..Laois will wonder had they /brought on earlier Picky Maher and Ross King what would have transpired, but no doubt they started their best team in their eyes..the obs of entering JMcD after exiting province like the Tailteann in football is good comment..

ah lethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by ah lethimoutwithit »

Well done and fantastic to grind out a win like that, been a longtime since weve done that at Senior.
We had a number of sub par performaces but real heroics from Kiely and second half Mitchell.
The significance of this win was evident when I watched it back last night. Tactically our decision making was off on a number of occasions and playing at the higher level for the league and McCarthy should help with this.

So well done to all hurling people who have persevered from the difficult years and even though nothing is guaranteed, there is now grounds for hope.

On the crowd yesterday, very quiet Offaly support yesterday. Laois supporters particularly the younger ones were far more vocal, and not always in a good way. Hopefully people will get behind this Senior team in numbers in the coming years.
I can't understand why so many sat in the corners watching the game when there was so much space in the middle and Leinster final crwd were never going to be in for even part of the second half with it not throwing in till 6

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

Congrats to all involved! Was exciting as all get out. Glad we had the resolve to finish the job.

2 Cups in 1 week! Very encouraging.
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

joe bloggs
All Star

Post by joe bloggs »

ah lethimoutwithit wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 1:52 pm

On the crowd yesterday, very quiet Offaly support yesterday. Laois supporters particularly the younger ones were far more vocal, and not always in a good way. Hopefully people will get behind this Senior team in numbers in the coming years.
I can't understand why so many sat in the corners watching the game when there was so much space in the middle and Leinster final crwd were never going to be in for even part of the second half with it not throwing in till 6

I wouldn't be looking down on the behaviour of some of the Laois supporters. Belive me as somone who stood on the terrace behind the goals in Portlaois a few weeks ago we have plenty of our own plonkers to rival them.
From speaking to others on the Nowlan Park terrace they were making tits of themselves there too, at least their mammies kept them at home yesterday.

People were scattered around yesterday due to the way the tickets are sold online. I couldn't buy Hogan as I wanted juvenile tickets, which would have been the case for everyone with kids.

Anyway back to the hurling. It was superb to hit the last three points after Laois had threw the kitchen sink at us. I think Cathal King deserves a special mention. Having cramped up with about 15 minutes left he was still getting stuck in and winning battles right to the end of the match. Considering the shift he put in the week before it was outstanding.
'if your not part of the solution, your part of the problem' J. McClean

Wing Back
County player
Club: Coolderry

Post by Wing Back »

Agreed on young King.....thought he was very good. Actually thought we could have done with him in midfield....but was content to leave him there when i seen Purcell moved out of there for Laois.

Overall very content to just get the win and move forward. I think all could see there was a lot of jitters and hairy moments at times yesterday. But I think that was because both sides knew there was so much on the line.

I won't go into forensic analysis, as there's no need. The mgt team and players will do that. I'm just happy to smile and have some satisfaction after the best week for Offaly hurling in a long long time.

Well done players and mgt.
'Babs keating 'resigned' as coach because of illness and fatigue. The players were sick and tired of him'

JohnnyBoy24
County player

Post by JohnnyBoy24 »

Whats peoples thoughts on what would be a good outing for next Saturday?

I know it doesn't really matter as we've achieved our goals and cork are operating at a different level to us, but I wouldn't want to see us hammered like we were last year all the same.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

A good outing? Not getting soaked. I will never forget the wetting I got in the corresponding fixture last year.
Realistically it's going to be very difficult for the lads to refocus for this. And in the broader scheme of things I don't think it matters.
JohnnyBoy24 wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 9:08 pm Whats peoples thoughts on what would be a good outing for next Saturday?

I know it doesn't really matter as we've achieved our goals and cork are operating at a different level to us, but I wouldn't want to see us hammered like we were last year all the same.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

I'm with you on the forensic analysis, Wing. I do want to single out Dan Bourke, whose work rate and productivity was outstanding. Again.

And well done to everyone involved.
Wing Back wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 8:51 pm Agreed on young King.....thought he was very good. Actually thought we could have done with him in midfield....but was content to leave him there when i seen Purcell moved out of there for Laois.

Overall very content to just get the win and move forward. I think all could see there was a lot of jitters and hairy moments at times yesterday. But I think that was because both sides knew there was so much on the line.

I won't go into forensic analysis, as there's no need. The mgt team and players will do that. I'm just happy to smile and have some satisfaction after the best week for Offaly hurling in a long long time.

Well done players and mgt.