Offaly Senior Hurlers 2024

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
joey1001
All Star

Re: Offaly Senior Hurlers 2024

Post by joey1001 »

Anonymous1 wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 4:50 pm
joey1001 wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 10:54 am
greenairfield wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 10:10 am Have to give it to you joey you are talking complete nonsense
Right well sure grand so let's just focus on the u20 which we probably won't win and don't worry about the Mcdonagh cup or the lads that have been playin senior for years, we'll just spend another year or 2 there, maybe wait for wexford or dublin to come down and we can compete with them for it. None of the senior under 20s should line out for the u20s within a week of Mcdonagh match and our full team should start every match to ensure they are properly prepared for Laois in the final. That is the number 1 priority in offaly hurling right now and if it isn't then serious question's need to be asked! The u20 all Ireland we won a few years back would have meant nothing had a few lads not come through from the team and I'm sure some of those lads who haven't played on the senior team would swap their all Ireland medal for a place in the senior team!
You’re claiming that the U20s are so much better than Laois that they don’t need their best players so shouldn’t the same logic apply to the seniors who you claim are 10 points a better team than Laois? Should we rest Kiely and Sampson to have them in the best shape possible for the All Ireland Preliminary QF?
Of course an idiotic comment from you.. winning the under 20 is simply just not as important as the senior, end of story! we play our full team for the senior to ensure they get plenty game time together and are primed for laois in the final which is most important.. we rest them for the under 20s which is far less important.. its a very simple point but I didn't expect a jackass to understand it in fairness

joey1001
All Star

Post by joey1001 »

Dodge83 wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 11:33 am Joey what about the rest of the U20 squad ? Are they to be told “lads we are not here to win a championship, we are just here to try improve the senior panel “ because that’s basically what you are saying. Obviously the end goal is to get onto the senior panel and have an input but it’s also to win something along the way. Success breeds success. When a young lad gets a taste of winning they want more and more and that’s what’s drives them on. We should be putting out our strongest team available at every youth level to give these young men every chance at success.

Well the squad will get a chance to step up and prove themselves to play! Would you sit on the bench and be happy with a winners medal or have some of your team gone with the seniors and you get a chance to play, improve and increase your chances of making the senior team one day. As I said above, I guarantee some of them under 20 footballers that haven't made the senior team since would swap their medal for a place in the senior team.

Dodge83
All Star

Post by Dodge83 »

Joey you are some man to throw insults around. Give it a rest good lad

Wing Back
County player
Club: Coolderry

Post by Wing Back »

I'd sooner play our best possible team at both levels. We did it last year with Mitchell and Bourke.

Understand arguments for playing either for one team or the other. But I'd prefer to play our best team in all matches once they are fit and able.
'Babs keating 'resigned' as coach because of illness and fatigue. The players were sick and tired of him'

joey1001
All Star

Post by joey1001 »

Dodge83 wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 7:25 pm Joey you are some man to throw insults around. Give it a rest good lad
Never said one word of insult to anyone on here only anonymous who continuously berates players and management at all levels bar his beloved u20 hurlers and also made the first personal insult.. and again he took aim at me this evening.

Anonymous1
All Star

Post by Anonymous1 »

joey1001 wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 6:22 pm
joey1001 wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 10:54 am

Right well sure grand so let's just focus on the u20 which we probably won't win and don't worry about the Mcdonagh cup or the lads that have been playin senior for years, we'll just spend another year or 2 there, maybe wait for wexford or dublin to come down and we can compete with them for it. None of the senior under 20s should line out for the u20s within a week of Mcdonagh match and our full team should start every match to ensure they are properly prepared for Laois in the final. That is the number 1 priority in offaly hurling right now and if it isn't then serious question's need to be asked! The u20 all Ireland we won a few years back would have meant nothing had a few lads not come through from the team and I'm sure some of those lads who haven't played on the senior team would swap their all Ireland medal for a place in the senior team!
You’re claiming that the U20s are so much better than Laois that they don’t need their best players so shouldn’t the same logic apply to the seniors who you claim are 10 points a better team than Laois? Should we rest Kiely and Sampson to have them in the best shape possible for the All Ireland Preliminary QF?
Of course an idiotic comment from you.. winning the under 20 is simply just not as important as the senior, end of story! we play our full team for the senior to ensure they get plenty game time together and are primed for laois in the final which is most important.. we rest them for the under 20s which is far less important.. its a very simple point but I didn't expect a jackass to understand it in fairness
Ironic for you to be calling somebody else a jackass when your logic could be unpicked by a junior infant.

According to you the seniors are “10 points a better team than Laois” yet they need to play every game together to ensure they’re primed for playing Laois but the U20s will beat Laois handy enough so don’t need their best players…

Just so you can put your foot in it even more I’d love you to explain your logic for placing winning the Joe Mcdonagh above an U20 All Ireland.

I’ve never spoken to a single player who believes this to be true and given the enormous crowds that have followed this U20 team for a couple of years now compared to the paltry few who’ll be at the Joe Mcdonagh final, I don’t think many if any fans believe it either except you of course for some unknown reason…

There’ll be more Offaly fans in OCP on Wednesday for an U20 Leinster QF than will be at the Joe Mcdonagh final, that tells you all you need to know.

joey1001
All Star

Post by joey1001 »

Anonymous1 wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 12:38 am

Ironic for you to be calling somebody else a jackass when your logic could be unpicked by a junior infant.

According to you the seniors are “10 points a better team than Laois” yet they need to play every game together to ensure they’re primed for playing Laois but the U20s will beat Laois handy enough so don’t need their best players…

Just so you can put your foot in it even more I’d love you to explain your logic for placing winning the Joe Mcdonagh above an U20 All Ireland.

I’ve never spoken to a single player who believes this to be true and given the enormous crowds that have followed this U20 team for a couple of years now compared to the paltry few who’ll be at the Joe Mcdonagh final, I don’t think many if any fans believe it either except you of course for some unknown reason…

There’ll be more Offaly fans in OCP on Wednesday for an U20 Leinster QF than will be at the Joe Mcdonagh final, that tells you all you need to know.
Are you actually taking the piss? You're placing an under 20 ahead of senior? So the u20 are better than the senior and could win the Mcdonagh? You'd be happy for us to win at u20 level every year and never progress at senior? And you're right it does tell you all you need to know. Senior is the highest grade hence why ony a few under 20 players on the team but that's the ambition of all the u20 players and I doubt you've spoken to any players, you don't like offaly players except I suppose u20 hurlers

joey1001
All Star

Post by joey1001 »

Lads anyone else on here placing winning at u20 level above winning at senior level? I'm genuinely baffled by Anonymous1 and there was one other who said they'd take a leinster u20 ahead of a Mcdonagh win. If so what is the logic behind it?

Anonymous1
All Star

Post by Anonymous1 »

joey1001 wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 5:38 am

Are you actually taking the piss? You're placing an under 20 ahead of senior? So the u20 are better than the senior and could win the Mcdonagh? You'd be happy for us to win at u20 level every year and never progress at senior? And you're right it does tell you all you need to know. Senior is the highest grade hence why ony a few under 20 players on the team but that's the ambition of all the u20 players and I doubt you've spoken to any players, you don't like offaly players except I suppose u20 hurlers
You really should stop digging an even bigger hole for yourself… How many seniors have an U20 All Ireland medal? Why is that?

And I speak to players regularly unlike you or you’d know which is more prestigious. A second tier competition or a first tier…

Anonymous1
All Star

Post by Anonymous1 »

joey1001 wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 5:45 am Lads anyone else on here placing winning at u20 level above winning at senior level? I'm genuinely baffled by Anonymous1 and there was one other who said they'd take a leinster u20 ahead of a Mcdonagh win. If so what is the logic behind it?
What’s your logic behind taking a Joe Mcdonagh group win over an All Ireland U20?

joey1001
All Star

Post by joey1001 »

Anonymous1 wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 6:18 am
joey1001 wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 5:45 am Lads anyone else on here placing winning at u20 level above winning at senior level? I'm genuinely baffled by Anonymous1 and there was one other who said they'd take a leinster u20 ahead of a Mcdonagh win. If so what is the logic behind it?
What’s your logic behind taking a Joe Mcdonagh group win over an All Ireland U20?
It's senior its the highest grade and its most important for the county to progress there and all those u20s aspire to play for the seniors, I've been there myself! How many lads on this u20 panel will cement a place on the senior team over the next few years? If you told any of those players that they can have an u20 medal but will never have the chance to play with the senior team, how many of them would take it? Your issue is clearly that its a "second" competition? That to me makes it even more important to win.. seniors compete at the highest level in the league also! And again i ask you, would you rather success every year at under 20 with no progress at senior? Yes or no? When you answer that then tell me which is more important a Mcdonagh win or an under 20 win. All players on u20 are adults and eligible to play senior, only a few are good enough, yet this team winning is more important and "prestigious" than the senior team winning ? Its the highest level , its where all the u20 players want to be and its that simple..

joey1001
All Star

Post by joey1001 »

Anonymous1 wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 6:17 am
joey1001 wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 5:38 am

You really should stop digging an even bigger hole for yourself… How many seniors have an U20 All Ireland medal? Why is that?

And I speak to players regularly unlike you or you’d know which is more prestigious. A second tier competition or a first tier…
I doubt too many players would speak to you if they saw how you treat players/management on here! And none of the seniors have an All Ireland u20 medal, nor do the current squad, nor will they either unfortunately. I bet you put the under 20 football ahead of the tailteann Cup aswell? Bear in mind if this u20 team were to win an All Ireland , several of these players would end their career in 20 odd years with an All Ireland u20 winning medal without ever having been good enough to compete in the Mcdonagh cup not mind to win it.

faithfulfanatic
All Star
Club: Coolderry

Post by faithfulfanatic »

The 2 of ye are ruining the thread for everyone else.

Ye have both said what ye want to say, ye are clearly never going to agree on the answer so either move on or take it to private chat.

As with everything, balance is required and some of the u20s will have to play both competitions, that’s what all the hard training since October/November is for.
And that’s what the young lads will be eager to do aswell.
I hope Offaly win every single competition they enter.

joey1001
All Star

Post by joey1001 »

faithfulfanatic wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 7:11 am The 2 of ye are ruining the thread for everyone else.

Ye have both said what ye want to say, ye are clearly never going to agree on the answer so either move on or take it to private chat.

As with everything, balance is required and some of the u20s will have to play both competitions, that’s what all the hard training since October/November is for.
I hope so too and I apologise but this guy is just a nuisance and someone has to call him out.. he's knocked every team since last November apart from this u20 team , people have disagreed and when the team loses he came back to say "I told you so". Great to praise when things are going well, first to slate when they're not.. I won't be engaging any further with him from here out, I've done enough to show him for what he is. Anyway agreed yes let's hope we win them all. Hon offaly!

dubbiff
Intermediate

Post by dubbiff »

faithfulfanatic wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 7:11 am The 2 of ye are ruining the thread for everyone else.

Thank you fffanatic. Well said