Offaly Senior Hurlers 2024

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Dodge83
All Star

Re: Offaly Senior Hurlers 2024

Post by Dodge83 »

frankthetank wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 12:37 am
greenairfield wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 7:52 pm A great success for the Tipperary outfit :lol:
Probably the stupidest, most idiotic and most immature comment I’ve seen on here in years.
Agree 100%

joey1001
All Star

Post by joey1001 »

I'll get slated for saying this but none of the senior u 20s should play an u20 match before we play the next senior match.. the senior and the fluidity of the senior team playing together at full tilt up to the final is too important.. we will still beat laois without the senior lads , fringe players will get a chance to play which will help them develop and a second game will help them develop even more.. it would be madness to risk the senior lads playing the u 20s against a team we can beat without and a team we won't beat with them anyway..need to get priorities right here .

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Not in a million years will that happen.

joey1001
All Star

Post by joey1001 »

private joker wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 6:17 pm Not in a million years will that happen.
Why? If we have any ambitions at all, it should happen and it would give 4/5 lads a chance to play and develop.. instead of the lads that are already developed.. u 20 isn't about winning its about developing lads for the senior team

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

You know well why. Relive last year all over again for one, egos need to be massaged. U20 mgt don't want any of them playing senior, senior want them only playing senior. The players themselves want to win here and now. Lads on those panels will never play county after u20. This is it for them.

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

Joey you are on a different planet Laois would beat us without our senior players we need everyone at both grades.

joey1001
All Star

Post by joey1001 »

greenairfield wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 7:27 pm Joey you are on a different planet Laois would beat us without our senior players we need everyone at both grades.

Lads here are expecting us to beat kilkenny.. kilkenny put a cricket score on laois, if we can't beat them without our seniors what chance have we against kilkenny? I think little or none anyway.. u20 is a development team for senior, if we don't win Mcdonagh, success in under 20 is not worth a crap.. success at under 20 is a few lads playing senior and making a difference.. I'd go as far as saying the senior under 20s should only be released to the under 20s once we win the Mcdonagh, time to get our priorities right.. I got ridiculed for saying the u20s has no chance to win leinster, now lads are telling me laois are our problem?

Hasselhoff
All Star

Post by Hasselhoff »

I'd like to win the Joe mcdonagh this year but id prefer an under 20 all Ireland or Leinster under 20 title.
Its a one off chance for these under 20s.

The Joe mcdonagh will come in time when the other younger hurlers come through anyway.

One of the main reasons we have improved on the senior front is because of the under 20s coming through but we have to balance this against their own under 20 ambitions.

Anyway it could all be over quickly in the under 20 championship as its now knockout.

joey1001
All Star

Post by joey1001 »

private joker wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 7:19 pm You know well why. Relive last year all over again for one, egos need to be massaged. U20 mgt don't want any of them playing senior, senior want them only playing senior. The players themselves want to win here and now. Lads on those panels will never play county after u20. This is it for them.

If that's the case then the under 20 management need to go.. u20 managers job is to prepare a team and develop the players for the next step to senior, winning something along the way is a bonus, im shocked to see someone say they'd rather a leinster u20 than a Mcdonagh cup win this year. When an under 20 manager is put in place, he should clearly know his job and should be prepared to lose lads to the senior team and not have them available. Best way would be to have a senior/u20 management team with one person looking after the 20s but the other I'm charge of seniors and has the say on availability based on the best interests of the senior team. When players are with the senior team other u20s have chance to step up, develop and prove themselves. If I was playing u20 my thoughts every time I went out would be "if I prove myself and play well here, senior management is watching, I might get called up or will definitely be considered next year" ask any kid growing up what their ultimate goal is, it's not to win an underage championship its to play on the senior team at the highest level possible. If Mcdonagh final and leinster u20 final were on the same weekend and players could only play in one, which would they choose? Anyway let's hope we win both.

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

Have to give it to you joey you are talking complete nonsense

joey1001
All Star

Post by joey1001 »

greenairfield wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 10:10 am Have to give it to you joey you are talking complete nonsense
Right well sure grand so let's just focus on the u20 which we probably won't win and don't worry about the Mcdonagh cup or the lads that have been playin senior for years, we'll just spend another year or 2 there, maybe wait for wexford or dublin to come down and we can compete with them for it. None of the senior under 20s should line out for the u20s within a week of Mcdonagh match and our full team should start every match to ensure they are properly prepared for Laois in the final. That is the number 1 priority in offaly hurling right now and if it isn't then serious question's need to be asked! The u20 all Ireland we won a few years back would have meant nothing had a few lads not come through from the team and I'm sure some of those lads who haven't played on the senior team would swap their all Ireland medal for a place in the senior team!

JohnnyBoy24
Junior B

Post by JohnnyBoy24 »

Be great if we won both, take each game as it comes whether it's senior or u20, see where we end up.

Dodge83
All Star

Post by Dodge83 »

Joey what about the rest of the U20 squad ? Are they to be told “lads we are not here to win a championship, we are just here to try improve the senior panel “ because that’s basically what you are saying. Obviously the end goal is to get onto the senior panel and have an input but it’s also to win something along the way. Success breeds success. When a young lad gets a taste of winning they want more and more and that’s what’s drives them on. We should be putting out our strongest team available at every youth level to give these young men every chance at success.

Anonymous1
All Star

Post by Anonymous1 »

greenairfield wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 10:10 am Have to give it to you joey you are talking complete nonsense
It’s always the same with him.

Anonymous1
All Star

Post by Anonymous1 »

joey1001 wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 10:54 am
Right well sure grand so let's just focus on the u20 which we probably won't win and don't worry about the Mcdonagh cup or the lads that have been playin senior for years, we'll just spend another year or 2 there, maybe wait for wexford or dublin to come down and we can compete with them for it. None of the senior under 20s should line out for the u20s within a week of Mcdonagh match and our full team should start every match to ensure they are properly prepared for Laois in the final. That is the number 1 priority in offaly hurling right now and if it isn't then serious question's need to be asked! The u20 all Ireland we won a few years back would have meant nothing had a few lads not come through from the team and I'm sure some of those lads who haven't played on the senior team would swap their all Ireland medal for a place in the senior team!
You’re claiming that the U20s are so much better than Laois that they don’t need their best players so shouldn’t the same logic apply to the seniors who you claim are 10 points a better team than Laois? Should we rest Kiely and Sampson to have them in the best shape possible for the All Ireland Preliminary QF?