Offaly Minor Football and Hurling 2023

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
private joker
All Star

Re: Offaly Minor Football and Hurling 2023

Post by private joker »

I dont know, don't know whose involved team mgt wise or player wise.do you? And stop deflecting from ongoing issues within the county.

ah lethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by ah lethimoutwithit »

Plain of the Herbs wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 7:17 pm You know the answer to that. You're the poster with all the gossip around here.
private joker wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 12:53 pm Absolutely, results are not important. Preparing properly and been coached correctly along with game time are what matters. Who are the mgt team of the celtic challenge group?
Ah go on, tell us

Fear Uibh
Junior A
Club: Doon

Post by Fear Uibh »

Good win for the minor footballers , came from behind to win it at the end 2-11 , 1-13

Superhans75
All Star
Club: Birr

Post by Superhans75 »

Great fighting spirit in the young lads probably not the most talented team but they have spirit and an attitude
That would put some of the senior players to shame .
Congratulations to everyone one involved 👍

ah lethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by ah lethimoutwithit »

Superhans75 wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 5:52 am Great fighting spirit in the young lads probably not the most talented team but they have spirit and an attitude
That would put some of the senior players to shame .
Congratulations to everyone one involved 👍
Like who Hans from the Seniors?

I actually thought the opposite, I thought many of the players from 7 up the field actually hid, heads went down, played too narrow , took crazy options and did everything to lose the game during minutes 40 to 59?
Played too narrow, carried the ball into the tackle, didn't track the Louth runners most of the game gave away lazy frees.
Our defence was heroic in last 15mins.

Fantastic to win in the end but complete robbery based on much of the second half and bear in mind we were 1-02 to 0 up after maybe 10 mins.

In fairness this is a development competition, so don't wish to be harsh on anyone and I think that the mgt have done a great job in general. There were plenty of heroic displays and some fantastic scores but a number of players were well below par.

But your comment is a little cheap in fariness...short memory in relation to expectations for the Seniors at the start of the year.

Yes Down was poor, and we rode our luck, but 3 Leinster champ games and a whisker away from Leinster final...no need for sly digs.

Superhans75
All Star

Post by Superhans75 »

Don't get your knickers in a twist .
I'm not slagging off anyone .
One game at at time but the young lads are our future
Not 28+ which is getting on in the modern game

Fear Uibh
Junior A
Club: Doon

Post by Fear Uibh »

Best of luck to the minor footballers tonight, what are thier chances does anybody know?

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

It's a big ask for them I think. Dublin topped group beating all teams well incl Louth, who we struggled to beat last time out. One thing you can be sure of is that they will try their hearts out. This group has done really well to make semi final given how uncompetitive they had been through development years. Tonight might be step too far but they certainly have given everything to get this far. Can't ask any more than that.
jimbob

biffinbanner
All Star
Club: ferbane

Post by biffinbanner »

its on tg4 youtube

Superhans75
All Star

Post by Superhans75 »

Tough game on the lads last night but your playing against a different Beast .
You learn from them experiences !enjoy your summer
Good luck with any exams 👍

GreatDayForTheParish
All Star

Post by GreatDayForTheParish »

Tough result and a tough start for the team last night but great effort shown as always. Thanks for the effort and keep at it.

Anonymous1
All Star

Post by Anonymous1 »

I was at this game and it’s taken me 24 hours to collect my thoughts because quite frankly that was the worst Offaly performance I’ve seen in a very long time, maybe ever.

It was all over before some people had even taken their seats, two goals in the blink of an eye but it only got worse from there.

Our kickout strategy was nothing short of a disaster, lumping high balls straight into the arms of Dublin players who probably couldn’t believe their luck.

Some of the decision making by our players was mind boggling and we seemed to have absolutely no strategy going forward, we didn’t play a running game nor did we deliver quick balls inside, anytime we turned ball over and had a chance to break we slowed everything down to allow Dublin to regroup.

We missed frees that were right in front of the posts, missed a penalty, dropped countless score-able shots short yet never had anyone in the square to challenge the keeper, coughed up some of the worst goals you’ll ever see and anytime Dublin attacked it was like Moses parting the red sea, they walked in at ease.

This is no slight on any of the players, I’m sure they’ve worked just as hard over the past few years as the U20 team from two years ago did but sadly haven’t seen the same rewards but you’d have to question the tactics and strategy of management and being brutally honest say that there should be a new regime in place for the next three years to give this group of lads the best chance of overturning this result at U20.

G91
County player
Club: Ferbane

Post by G91 »

We are going nowhere fast at intercounty football , there seems to be this style of slow build up to try get a score. It happened vs louth at stages 2 goals came from fast snappy play, then at times it went backwards and sidewards it was said before that game offaly had the pace and louth had the physical attributes but didn't play out that way.

Doesn't look to be much progress since winning the under 20 all ireland declan kelly didn't want to step up to senior management think the boat was missed there

This is no disrespect to the players they train hard just like every other team and getting knocked out by dublin isn't anything to be worried about

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

Think some of comments are unfair here. This group got to semi final against all odds. They were getting beaten heavily in most games through underage ranks and it was known they were not genuine contenders for championship unlike teams previously. They did well in earlier games and got further than expected.

Players did their best. I'm sure management did too. I'd accept that kickouts maybe didn't go as well as they might have done. Not really sure re kick out strategy or if there was one - it wasn't obvious that there was but Dublin had two beasts in midfield, one of whom would probably be good enough for Offaly seniors currently. It was obvious that Dublin did have kickout strategies in place and they did look really well organised.

Dublin could be All Ireland winners yet, we don't know. They were on different level physically and ran us off pitch in middle third and were really well organised. This is why we conceded so many goals as they had so many 5v3 or 6v4 situations running down our necks and being honest, they left another two or three goals behind them. The question was, why were they getting so many overload situations? Was it because of not being fit enough or not having work done? Or not being tuned in? Or just not being as naturally athletic in middle third as Dublin were. I really don't know to be honest but Id suggest it may have been the latter and hope this was the case.

There is only so much a full back line or goalie can do in them situations. Dublin caught fire and we just couldn't stay with them.

I wouldn't be at all put out at result as this appears to be particularly strung Dublin team against what we already knew was not our strongest minor team in a while. However, there were some good players on show for us too and I think we will be fairly strong at minor level in coming years given how well current development squads are doing in underage games.

It would have been perceived around Leinster that this Offaly group have over achieved by reaching Leinster semi final, given their underage results at development level. The day we start running our U17s (who have given their best) into the ground for getting bad beating off Dublin is the day we need to look at ourselves as supporters.
jimbob

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Don't know about the footballers but in the minor hurling there was no S/c work done.