Offaly Senior Hurlers 2023

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
faithfulfanatic
All Star
Club: Coolderry

Re: Offaly Senior Hurlers 2023

Post by faithfulfanatic »

Only 2 or 3 subs up to the level of what we face today in Killarney, could cost us

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Great to pull a win out of the fire like that!
Kerry had reeled in an Offaly five point lead late on and it was anyone's game.
David Nally was also the late hero in last year's Joe McDonagh win down in Kerry.

Superhans75
All Star
Club: Birr

Post by Superhans75 »

Absolute awful finishing by both teams but a nice day out great scenery 4.80 a pint .
Mind you 3 euro for a tea !!!
Must be Kerry water .

TerraceTalk
Intermediate

Post by TerraceTalk »

Enjoyed that one. Worth the long drive! David Nally one of the best on the cuts I’ve seen anyway. Where would lads rate him??

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

ah lethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by ah lethimoutwithit »

Good to win the game but there is no doubt that we are way off where we should be in terms of dealing with any team running at us.

Was shocked at how easily Kerry walked the ball through us. They had us on the rack with that game for long spells of the first half. In fairness our tackling was a little better in the second half. When some pressure was applied and they were forced to go long they hit a lot of aimless ball, but credit to Jason Sampson who hoovered up a lot of this and used it well.

We were allowed our own puck out short and we hit at least 10 aimless balls into our inside line. Eimhin Kelly and Charlie Mitchell showed well when they came on. But some of our more established forwards have a good bit to do ahead of Joe Mc.
We butchered 2 good goal opportunities also, especially the second one where Oisin Kelly delayed the pass a little too long.

But credit to the lads, it took balls to get over the line when Kerry equalised late on, and some cut by Nally. Should help build confidence.
But we have to be able to mix short and long game better, we had great opportunities but the handpass or short pass off the hurl would butcher the final ball.
If Kerry are able to develop this skillset and diversify their game, why can't we? I would have hoped for greater inroads at this point as we are talking about it for a good few years now.

Still, with Carlow and Kildare to come, there should be more competition and hunger to nail that top spot.
But as was said, lovely venue and great weather. Looking forward to Newbridge already! :roll:

Superhans75
All Star
Club: Birr

Post by Superhans75 »

I agree but to be honest our half back line aren't great too
Many players having to drop back deep then lots of aimless long puck outs which teams alot Better than us will make us pay ..

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

No goal scored again this week..

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Big game vs kildare. 50/50 I'd say . Offaly by 3.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

while we probably have better defenders than what Kildare have faced to date, we should cut down their scoring rate somewhat, goals included, as I state above its hitting the net the other end of the field in worrying me in this division, and might cost us, even in this game if Kildare scored say only 2 goals, I think we would need 20 plus points to be getting a narrow win. I think we can and should win it, but I would be worried too..very hard to put a winning margin on it from an Offaly view point, Kildare have been scoring high scores too, with plenty of goals so Offaly have a job on their hands here if you ask me...

Claffey
Junior A

Post by Claffey »

private joker wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:25 am Big game vs kildare. 50/50 I'd say . Offaly by 3.
Big game against Carlow first. We are not even guaranteed a semi final place yet by my calculations, so I'm sure the focus will be on that game only.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

certainly, without checking fixtures I assumed Kildare was next when thread above mentioned them..certainly a big game V Carlow, havent feared us in recent times, infact have lifted their performances against us if anything..

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Thought was kildare was next. Carlow will be tough but don't seem to be going well? Kildare fairly hopped off them.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

Any opinions on Carlow game this weekend, Carlow aren't going as well as they were but we can't take them for granted either..

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

Huge game. Far from walkover. Carlow won well last time out. They wouldn't be happy with losing to kildare. They won't fear Offaly given games they have played v offaly in last few years, particularly last year in championship when they physically bullied Offaly off the field. Carlow can't make final but relegation if they lose is still possibility so they have everything still to play for. Offaly need to turn up for this game.
jimbob