OFFALY Hurling 2014

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
GreatDayForTheParish
All Star

Re: OFFALY Hurling 2014

Post by GreatDayForTheParish »

It's hard to overestimate the importance of Rory Hanniffy's return. Great news.

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

great to see Rory return , Rigney will be a loss this weekend and we seem to be missing a few more lads out with injury for another while at least, Kenny, Dooley , Del, good chance for some new younger lads to get a run .

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Absolutely. I can't think of anybody with wrists like Rory Hanniffy.

Walking out of OCP last June, the disappointment of the loss to Waterford was exacerbated by the thought that that might have been Rory's last time to wear the tricolour.

Now that day will inevitably come, but at least there's one more year to enjoy the beauty of Rory's strokeplay.

Currently on 108 Offaly appearances (42 championship, 66 league) he is one of only two of the current squad to make more than 100 appearances - Brian Carroll is the other. I was surprised to see that it is Kevin Brady (91) who is next in line.
GreatDayForTheParish wrote:It's hard to overestimate the importance of Rory Hanniffy's return. Great news.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

GreatDayForTheParish
All Star

Post by GreatDayForTheParish »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:Absolutely. I can't think of anybody with wrists like Rory Hanniffy.

Walking out of OCP last June, the disappointment of the loss to Waterford was exacerbated by the thought that that might have been Rory's last time to wear the tricolour.

Now that day will inevitably come, but at least there's one more year to enjoy the beauty of Rory's strokeplay.

Currently on 108 Offaly appearances (42 championship, 66 league) he is one of only two of the current squad to make more than 100 appearances - Brian Carroll is the other. I was surprised to see that it is Kevin Brady (91) who is next in line.
GreatDayForTheParish wrote:It's hard to overestimate the importance of Rory Hanniffy's return. Great news.

Had he played in other counties or in other eras for Offaly - multiple awards and All-Stars would have been won. Instead, Rory has yet to play hurling for Offaly in August - the last 13 years have been that bad.
Hopefully 2014 will offer something better.

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by Ahlethimoutwithit »

Fair points regarding Mahon, but someone said it, he aint a guaranteed starter for the hurlers. Yes he can act as a spoiler, but his finishing most times is poor.
My point re the football was, he is exactly the type of player we need there, struggling for midfield, centre forward options. Himself and Dalton formed a decent midfield partnership at u21 level, and in terms of football, he has never given it a chance and thats a pity.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

Feel alot more confident of a fired-up Offaly now, following the motivational manna that fell from the pages of one of the tabloids this morning.

Unfortunate for Laois, as it's not of their making, but them's the breaks.

Anfearban
Junior A

Post by Anfearban »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:Feel alot more confident of a fired-up Offaly now, following the motivational manna that fell from the pages of one of the tabloids this morning.

Unfortunate for Laois, as it's not of their making, but them's the breaks.
POTH...can you elaborate please?

allstar2010
All Star

Post by allstar2010 »

Some statement from loughnane.... But does he have a point???

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

In Dublin Working.
Got a call to say that Loughanae said that Offaly Hurlers had Fat arse, Fat Belly and Fat Legs.
This that that he said???

http://www.joe.ie/gaa/national-league/p ... tar-today/

Yeah. Just got a call from a Kilkenny saying that according to Loughance i could still make the Offaly Panel. :twisted: :oops:

Read the article. Well he wasn't wrong. Last two year we have be a shambles.
Baker was not up to the job. I think this was more a dig at the Offaly structure than at the Offaly Hurlers.

I have said that we are 10 weeks behind other teams here in terms of training because of the time it took to appoint a manager.
Whatever happen this year, I think that the panel should training the whole year through so that we arrive at this time next year fit and ready. I know it a huge ask of the players but we lose ground on other team when we get knock out of the championship early. So lets training like we preparing for an All-Ireland. Release the players to the clubs and as the club go out of the championship the players come straight back to the county panel for training.
I'm not talking about running the lads up and down mountains but keep a basic level of fitness in the squad so that we are not starting each year from zero.
Last edited by Toxicity234 on Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Common sense is not so common.”

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

Ger is still a bitter c..t over 1998, i see Parkinson of laois getting his cut in as well, well we all know
what he was famous for and its outside of the game.

Sharp Eye
All Star

Post by Sharp Eye »

Toxicity234 wrote:In Dublin Working.
Got a call to say that Loughanae said that Offaly Hurlers had Fat arse, Fat Belly and Fat Legs.
This that that he said???

http://www.joe.ie/gaa/national-league/p ... tar-today/

Yeah. Just got a call from a Kilkenny saying that according to Loughance i could still make the Offaly Panel. :twisted: :oops:

Read the article. Well he wasn't wrong. Last two year we have be a shambles.
Baker was not up to the job. I think this was more a dig at the Offaly structure than at the Offaly Hurlers.

I have said that we are 10 weeks behind other teams here in terms of training because of the time it took to appoint a manager.
Whatever happen this year, I think that the panel should training the whole year through so that we arrive at this time next year fit and ready. I know it a huge ask of the players but we lose ground on other team when we get knock out of the championship early. So lets training like we preparing for an All-Ireland. Release the players to the clubs and as the club go out of the championship the players come straight back to the county panel for training.
I'm not talking about running the lads up and down mountains but keep a basic level of fitness in the squad so that we are not starting each year from zero.
Offaly Hurlers appear to have commenced training 2 months after Kilkenny, Galway and Tipperary. Offaly Co Board who are very efficient at "Cost Control" when it comes to Hurling in Offaly have not appeared to have appointed an Under 21 Hurling Manager & Selectors yet. One Rule for Footballers a much cheaper Rule for Hurlers. Time for a New "Hurling Committee". Our Players deserve the same level of preparation, gear, physio & medical support as players who play for Clare, Dublin etc etc

turk
All Star

Post by turk »

townman wrote:Ger is still a bitter c..t over 1998, i see Parkinson of laois getting his cut in as well, well we all know

I don't know what he is famous for!

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

well lets say its not something you would be proud about.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

For getting injured in 2003 and making way for Ross Munnelly?

For having an 'Oasis' hairstyle during the 1990s?

That's me all out of suggestions.
turk wrote:
townman wrote:Ger is still a bitter c..t over 1998, i see Parkinson of laois getting his cut in as well, well we all know

I don't know what he is famous for!

Buttons
All Star
Club: Club

Post by Buttons »

Brian Whelahan and his management team have named five debutants, four in defence, on the team to play Laois in the opening game of the Allianz National Hurling league in O’Connor Pk, Tullamore on Sunday.

Niall Wynne (St Rynagh’s), Dan Kelleher (Brosna Gaels), Conor Doughan (Shinrone) and Brian Watkins (Birr) all make their debuts in defence while Peter Geraghty (Kilcormac/Killoughey) makes his first senior league start at right half forward. In addition Kevin Connolly (Coolderry) will be making his first full start having appeared twice as a substitute in the past. The team in full is:

Offaly v Laois
1 James Dempsey Kinnitty
2 Niall Wynne St Rynagh’s
3 Dan Kelliher Brosna Gaels
4 James Rigney Kinnitty
5 Conor Doughan Shinrone
6 Brian Watkins Birr
7 Dermot Mooney Seir Kieran
8 Kevin Brady Coolderry
9 Cathal Parlon Coolderry
10 Peter Geraghty Kilcormac/Killoughey
11 Joe Bergin Seir Kieran