Offaly Senior Hurling Championship 2013

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Senior quarter-finals considered

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Coolderry v Clareen

I expect this to be the tie of the round. Last year’s meeting in the group stages was a piquant one, two sent off, sulphurous in the Shinrone stand. And they say group games are meaningless? The 2011 quarter-final is also a guideline, a match that could have gone either way then swung on a single incident and Coolderry went on to go all the way to Croke Park.

Hard to credit that Joseph Bergin, (is this his tenth year hurling Senior?) and has never played for his club in a County quarter-final. That will change at some stage – now is as good a time as any. It is five years now since Clareen won the U21 title; boys then – time now to come of age as Seniors. They need Adrian Hynes to contribute three points. Eoin Coughlan is the better goalkeeper.

Suffice to say Coolderry are not playing well. Cathal Parlon remains a huge loss. Joe Brady needs to be playing matches the whole time to be sharp – Joe carrying rust is not going to work. The return of Kevin Connolly and Eoin Ryan will be a boost, but it leaves three very similar players in the full-forward line. On the other hand, it enables them move Brian Carroll to right half-forward where he can be more influential. And Coolderry don’t want Carroll at corner-forward where he would be tied up by Dónal Coughlan, an unheralded but consistent corner-back.

Coolderry have won seven of the last eight meetings, starting with the pivotal 2001 quarter-final replay win. Coolderry may well aim for (yet) another flying start and if they get it they won’t be reeled in. I expect Clareen to carve a groundbreaking win.

Birr v Shinrone

At some stage of the development, every team plays a match that they simply must win. I think Saturday’s quarter-final is just that match for Shinrone. As it is, they are a bit behind in their development as Seniors – needed to win their 2011 quarter-final and didn’t; needed to win last year’s semi-final and didn’t.

Michael Cordial is the barometer of Shinrone’s mood. On his game in last year’s quarter-final against Clareen, yet spent the semi-final with his head down, only lifting it to chaw with his management. Cordial in the humour equals Shinrone win.

The matchup of Paul Cleary and Seán Cleary will be a key one, a ‘swing state’ so to speak. Seán Cleary has been in impressive form. He may not gain as much possession here so will need to be patient. He will need some assistance from Dónal Morkan who is yet to find the good form he showed last year. Perhaps if he was taking the frees? A year ago, a different Shinrone forward showed up well each match – one day it was Dónal Morkan, the next it would be Jason Sampson, then Seán Cleary on another. They would be a difficult team to beat if two or more forwards really struck gold on the one day.

I would still prefer to see Mark Morkan at centre half-back with Derek Morkan on the wing and Daniel Hoctor at midfield. Colin O’Meara is a doughty corner-back who seems to be out of favour this year – which speaks volumes for his replacement. And Michael Cleary has filled the void left by Willie Comerford.

Birr’s struggle against Brosna Gaels hardly matters much – but then Coolderry, Kilcormac and Clareen all dealt ruthlessly with weaker opposition. Birr, in a rebuilding phase, are missing too many players – Verney, Hayden being the kind of men you want to lead a young team. Emmet Nolan has impressed. Colm Mulrooney will hardly hit the vein of form he did against Drumcullen when scoring seven points from play. Birr don’t have the kind of prolific scorer that Clareen or Coolderry do, so need about four forwards firing three each from play. Which may well happen here. And not having had such a consistent ‘shoot the lights out’ type scorer during their golden era never hindered success.

Shinrone have beaten Birr just twice ever, in 1961 and 1981. They reached the semi-finals both years. I think they can take a gigantic leap and win here with their third ever win over Birr.

St Rynagh’s v Tullamore

First, the end. ’Rynagh’s will win. Spurred by the shock quarter-final defeat at Tullamore’s hands, I focussed ’Ryangh’s will start well, lead at half-time, splutter a bit during the second half and will run out convincing winners.

There are no doubts as to the quality of the ’Rynagh’s goalkeeper and full-back line. And marking Shane Dooley will be a good step up for Niall Wynne at this stage of his development. Same goes for Danny Maloney, come to think of it. The half-back line has been completely refurbished in recent weeks though this is more to do with players returning than being borne out of necessity. Conor Hernon and Dermot Shortt are back from abroad and Simon Lyons is recovered from injury. As a result, Pat Camon and Aidan Treacy now form the midfield partnership, one that is superior to whatever Tullamore might have to offer. That’s all very well but Gary Conneely gave an exhibition of scoring from distance against Coolderry yet finds himself at corner-forward.

Tullamore will play their fourth quarter-final in five years. All four have been in Tullamore. For the fifth time in as many years, St Rynagh’s find themselves travelling to face Tullamore in their home town. None were for a semi-final or Final. This isn’t fair or equitable. I expect that, for the fourth of those five occasions that ’Rynagh’s will make the return journey in good humour.

Kilcormac-Killoughey v Belmont

The difference a year makes – this time last year Belmont faced the same opposition at the same stage and regretted Colin Egan’s absence through suspension.

If K-K are to be upended, I suspect it will be at a time none of us suspect. I can’t see it coming here as Belmont just don’t score enough, or create enough opportunities. Then again, David Cox might be just the man to trouble Ger Healion, and Damien Egan might do likewise to Peter Healion. And for the unthinkable to happen, the K-K forward line would have to malfunction – which wouldn’t be unheard of now either.

Belmont have never beaten K-K in the championship, though St Saran’s (who Belmont traded as in the 1980s) did beat Killoughey once. K-K will advance, with Clareen the team most likely to trouble them later on.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

townman
All Star

Re: Offaly Senior Hurling Championship 2013

Post by townman »

should be two good tight games today in ST.Brendans park with little between the sides
with Shinrone and Clareen looking for two big wins.

unlike POTH i'd go for Coolderry and can't go again me own Birr to win to hopefully good games.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

just on another note, should be a good battle on the line today between two Birr greats
Big Daithi and Johnny P may the best man win :lol:

KillougheyGoBragh
County player
Club: KK

Post by KillougheyGoBragh »

Fantastic games by all accounts and well jealous I couldn't be there in St Brendans Park.
Congrats to Clareen and Birr and commiserations to Coolderry and Shinrone.
All roads lead to OCP tomorrow for another double header.
After match Interviews from Midlands Radio 3 with team managers
Mike Ryan(Seir Kieran) and Ken Hogan(Coolderry)
and
Daithi Regan(Shinrone) and Johnny Pilkington(Birr)

allstar2010
All Star

Post by allstar2010 »

Right, county board give Ken Hogan the job now and no waiting around. He's the ideal candidate and will be able to draw up his own panel and not like Baker inheriting Joe Dooleys panel which consisted of half the Clareen team!

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

Coolderry Clareen was a good game, but i though the Birr Shinrone game was poor enough
with Birr should have had it wrap up at half time missed two goals and brutal wides in front
of goal, Hayden,Hanniffy,Watkins,Cleary, Barry Whelehan at midfield saw Birr home.

the first game was great displays from Joe Bergin and Joe Brady even doe they were on each
other, Coolderry have gone back along way since there all ireland run and Damien Murray seems
to be a big lost to them, Declan Parlon stood out tonight and got 4 good points from play
for Coolderry.

GreatDayForTheParish
All Star

Post by GreatDayForTheParish »

Has time drawn in on the young Coolderry team that blazed to honours in 2004? A long time ago now.

What legacy is 3 titles with that team? Good, bad or indifferent?

joe bloggs
All Star

Post by joe bloggs »

Don't forget a leinster title too, which is nothing to be sniffed at.
'if your not part of the solution, your part of the problem' J. McClean

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

SEIR KIERAN 1-17 COOLDERRY 1-16

I’m delighted for Clareen, who celebrated the breaking of new ground at the end. They are back in the semi-final for the first time since 2000 and I must check but I suspect none of them have played in a semi-final before.

Clareen were clearly the sharper throughout and were very often forst to the ball. Yes, Bergin the younger scored 11 points (five from play) and is their leader but you couldn’t say he hurled incredibly well or anything. He’ll have better days. Soon.

Christopher Connors has a fine left hand, is able to pick a pass and is a fine target man full-forward. Adrian Hynes can pick a score. I thought they were wrong to take off Shane Ryan who is in form, looked lively, wasn’t fazed by his immediate marker and was a goal threat. Tom Carroll wasn’t up to much on his introduction.

Clareen struggled to cope with Coolderry’s seventh defender in the second half, with Trevor Corcoran coming on to win breaking ball and cover off for Joe Brady. Brady hurled well, particularly in the second half, and when Coolderry reverted to an orthodox formation late in the game, more space opened up for the Clareen attack.

I’m sure Clareen hearts were in their mouths after Brady scored a late goal and Coolderry gained possession in attacking positions on a few occasions late in the game. Disciplined defending ensured Coolderry weren’t given a ‘free to make a draw of it’.

Footnote - did anyone see who (if anyone) Coolderry took off when they put on the goalkeeper?

Scorers: Seir Kieran: Joseph Bergin 0-11 (5 frees, 1 ’65), Adrian Hynes 1-2, Christopher Connors, Brian Dunne, Dermot Mooney, Stephen Hynes 0-1 each.
Coolderry: Brian Carroll 0-6 (2 frees, 1 ’65), Declan Parlon 0-4, Kevin Teehan, Barry Teehan, Martin Corcoran 0-2 each.

BIRR 1-17 SHINRONE 0-14

Shinrone might as well have stayed in bed. Or gone to the Electric Picnic. I gather some of them did – they probably made the right choice.

Shinrone showed no desire to die with the boots on. They avoided collisions at all costs (a sure sign they weren’t up for the fight) and while hurling isn’t bumper cars, the lack of appetite was betrayed. For County titles are won during the knockout stages, not by batin’ the shyte out of the little people in the group stages.

Now, Shinrone weren’t helped by Brian Gavin allowing players to be almost strangled under the dropping ball, but them’s the setbacks you need to overcome to be successful. On the other hand, Gavin should have sent off Denis Coonan for a careless pull when the corner-back was already on a yellow card. Coonan was replaced by Colin O’Meara moments earlier – O’Meara should have started. And Daniel Hoctor should have been much further upfield, taking the game to Birr and not spending half his time covering an ailing full-back line.

It’s hard to know about Birr, though they’ll be all the better for having Tomás Bolger and Barry Harding back in the starting lineup. Simon Whelahan looks to have sustained a hamstring injury and will hardly be right for the semi-final.

The dire nature of the game led to a terribly muted atmosphere throughout. Perhaps tales of Birr’s legendary atmosphere are like hot summers and great Munster Finals – the odd good one made up for all the forgettable (and forgotten) ones.

Scorers: Birr: Michael Dwane 0-6 (4 frees), Dylan Hayden 1-3, Simon Whelahan, Tomás Bolger, Emmet Nolan 0-2 each, Barry Whelahan & Seán Ryan 0-1 each.
Shinrone: Michael Cordial 0-6 (4 frees, 1 ’65), Seán Cleary & Dónal Morkan 0-2 each, Darren O’Meara, Conor Doughan, Derek Morkan & Jordan Fogarty 0-1 each.

And it seems Rahan beat Carrig & Riverstown 0-14 to 0-11 in the last IHC quarter-final.

GreatDayForTheParish
All Star

Post by GreatDayForTheParish »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:SEIR KIERAN 1-17 COOLDERRY 1-16

I’m delighted for Clareen, who celebrated the breaking of new ground at the end. They are back in the semi-final for the first time since 2000 and I must check but I suspect none of them have played in a semi-final before.

Clareen were clearly the sharper throughout and were very often forst to the ball. Yes, Bergin the younger scored 11 points (five from play) and is their leader but you couldn’t say he hurled incredibly well or anything. He’ll have better days. Soon.

Christopher Connors has a fine left hand, is able to pick a pass and is a fine target man full-forward. Adrian Hynes can pick a score. I thought they were wrong to take off Shane Ryan who is in form, looked lively, wasn’t fazed by his immediate marker and was a goal threat. Tom Carroll wasn’t up to much on his introduction.

Clareen struggled to cope with Coolderry’s seventh defender in the second half, with Trevor Corcoran coming on to win breaking ball and cover off for Joe Brady. Brady hurled well, particularly in the second half, and when Coolderry reverted to an orthodox formation late in the game, more space opened up for the Clareen attack.

I’m sure Clareen hearts were in their mouths after Brady scored a late goal and Coolderry gained possession in attacking positions on a few occasions late in the game. Disciplined defending ensured Coolderry weren’t given a ‘free to make a draw of it’.

Scorers: Seir Kieran: Joseph Bergin 0-11 (5 frees, 1 ’65), Adrian Hynes 1-2, Christopher Connors, Brian Dunne, Dermot Mooney, Stephen Hynes 0-1 each.
Coolderry: Brian Carroll 0-6 (2 frees, 1 ’65), Declan Parlon 0-4, Kevin Teehan, Barry Teehan, Martin Corcoran 0-2 each.

BIRR 1-17 SHINRONE 0-14

Shinrone might as well have stayed in bed. Or gone to the Electric Picnic. I gather some of them did – they probably made the right choice.

Shinrone showed no desire to die with the boots on. They avoided collisions at all costs (a sure sign they weren’t up for the fight) and while hurling isn’t bumper cars, the lack of appetite was betrayed. For County titles are won during the knockout stages, not by batin’ the shyte out of the little people in the group stages.

Now, Shinrone weren’t helped by Brian Gavin allowing players to be almost strangled under the dropping ball, but them’s the setbacks you need to overcome to be successful. On the other hand, Gavin should have sent off Denis Coonan for a careless pull when the corner-back was already on a yellow card. Coonan was replaced by Colin O’Meara moments earlier – O’Meara should have started. And Daniel Hoctor should have been much further upfield, taking the game to Birr and not spending half his time covering an ailing full-back line.

It’s hard to know about Birr, though they’ll be all the better for having Tomás Bolger and Barry Harding back in the starting lineup. Simon Whelahan looks to have sustained a hamstring injury and will hardly be right for the semi-final.

The dire nature of the game led to a terribly muted atmosphere throughout. Perhaps tales of Birr’s legendary atmosphere are like hot summers and great Munster Finals – the odd good one made up for all the forgettable (and forgotten) ones.

Scorers: Birr: Michael Dwane 0-6 (4 frees), Dylan Hayden 1-3, Simon Whelahan, Tomás Bolger, Emmet Nolan 0-2 each, Barry Whelahan & Seán Ryan 0-1 each.
Shinrone: Michael Cordial 0-6 (4 frees, 1 ’65), Seán Cleary & Dónal Morkan 0-2 each, Darren O’Meara, Conor Doughan, Derek Morkan & Jordan Fogarty 0-1 each.

Did Tom Carroll play? Was he eligible?

The Bogman
Junior B

Post by The Bogman »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:SEIR KIERAN 1-17 COOLDERRY 1-16

Footnote - did anyone see who (if anyone) Coolderry took off when they put on the goalkeeper?

Eoin Ryan
GreatDayForTheParish wrote:

Did Tom Carroll play? Was he eligible?
Depends who you ask. He wasn't the only one playing with question marks over their eligibility

KillougheyGoBragh
County player
Club: KK

Post by KillougheyGoBragh »

Close encounters in OCP, Tullamore, none more so than that of Kilcormac/Killoughey and Belmont where last year's County Champions were pushed to the 'pin of their collar' for much, if not most, of the game and only 'experience' got the K-K men past a gallant Belmont team effort.
In the other game St Rynaghs got the better of Shane Dooley aka Tullamore in the second-half but -not- unlike K-K it took all their experience to find those vital scores to subdue the Blues!
Final scores
St Rynagh's 2-14 Tullamore 2-10
KK 1-24 Belmont 2-13
Look forward to the thoughts of those who attended this evening's games in person and eyes now turn to the Co-Board meeting Tuesday/Wednesday evening where, I'm led to believe, the all important semi-final draws will be conducted.

durra1
All Star
Club: Durrow/Ballinamere

Post by durra1 »

I’ll reserve judgment until confirmed but can anyone elaborate on POTH report that some of the Shinrone panel may have made off to EP?

If so, how many are we talking about and were they starters, fringe or bench warmers?

Shinroneman – any thoughts from an informed insider like yourself?

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

The Coolderry Vs Clareen and Kilcormac/Killoughey vs Belmont games were top class games. The Birr Vs Shirone game was poor but the Tullamore Vs St. Rynagh was the poorest match I’ve seen in Offaly in 10 years,

Coolderry vs Clareen Match was a great battle. The Battle between Joe Brady and Joe Bergin was worth the €12 on its own. The game turned Clareen way with the Adrian Hynes goal and the sending of the Stephen Corcoran. I thought more Clareen players were up for the battle more than Coolderry. they were great performance from Donal Coughlan, Eanna Murphy, Brian Dunne and Adrian Hynes. For Coolderry Joe Brady hurler well and Declan Parlon had a very good game.

Birr vs Shirone. this game could have being over at half time only the Birr Forwards were shocking. The Shirone game plan was to get the ball into their forwards fast and early. so their backs hit everything straight in on top of the Birr Full back line and Paul Cleary won it, use it and set up attack after attack which normal end up with a Birr forward hitting a bad wide. I'm not joking the Shirone Full forward are not big, tall lads and in the second half i counted the number of cross field balls the shirone backs delivery to their full forward line in the second half. The number was Zero. The Shirone backs never gave there forwards a chance. The best players for Birr were Paul Cleary, Brendan Murphy and Dylan Hayden(1-3). For Shirone Michael Cleary tried his best at full back.

Tullamore vs Rynagh. This was a game of two half. The problem was both half were very poor hurling. Tullamore had Shane Dooley to thank for scoring 2-6 in the first half. Including two massive long ranges frees. Rynagh had Dermot Shortt at centre back and he hurling and block a site of ball from getting to Shane Dooley. Rynagh play with only Sean Dolan in the full forward line for the 1st half and he had to deal with two Tullamore Defenders and at half time Rynagh had only score 4 points. Tullamore in the 1st half won almost all breaking ball and almost all the rucks. In the second half and with the wind Rynagh improved and with two players in the full forward line they got the score they need to win the game. James Sullivan came into midfield for rynagh and got through a lot of dirty ball. The story of the game is as simple as this, Rynagh had the better hurlers (expect for Shane Dooley) Tullamore fought harder and had a better game plan. Skill wise this was a very poor game. Sideline cuts, catching the ball and picking the ball were so poor it wasn’t funny.

Kilcormac/Killoughey vs Belmont. A very good game. The scoreboard said that Belmont lost by 8 points but that not a fair reflection on the Belmont performance. My Man of the Match was Conor Mahon his point taking and all round movement was excellent. Belmont played a very smart game and can be proud of the performance. If they were playing anyone other than K/K I thing they would have won. Dropping Colin Egan to centre back for the K/K Puck out was a brilliant idea. The use of the short puck work very well and broke up the K/K half backs strangle on the game and if the Damo Egan hand pass across the goal in the last few mins had being finished off, It would have lead to a grand stand finish. Kilcormac/Killoughey first half goal was one of the best I have seen in O’Connor Park. If a Kilkenny county team had score it they be saying that only a Killkenny county team would have the players to do something like that.
“Common sense is not so common.”

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

ST RYNAGH’S 2-14 TULLAMORE 2-10

Definite signs the spirit of ’09 hadn’t gone away, you know. It wasn’t just the wind, but Tullamore were really up for this and it showed in the way they competed for every ball (Shinrone might care to take note).

Many will say that they were over dependent on Shane Dooley, but that doesn’t do justice to those who fed the supply lines. I was passing behind the goal en route to the terrace when that brilliant ball was send into space which Dooley, moving into the vacant left corner, gathered, turned and sent a bullet beyond Conor Clancy. Who sent that ball in?

Stephen Egan and Nigel Mannion were tremendous, but with the wind their scoring rate wasn’t sufficient. St Rynagh’s made little headway. The breeze was considerable and everything seemed to have to go through Ger Rafferty, though they correctly ran at Tullamore too. By the 22nd minute Tullamore led 1-4 to 0-2, and it was 1-6 to 0-3 when Dooley scored his second goal, created by Cormac Martin who made a brilliant run through the St Rynagh’s defence.

Facing a 2-6 to 0-4 half-time deficit, St Rynagh’s needed to keep their composure. They didn’t just do that, they roared into it, and though Dooley opened the second half with an inspirational point, ’Rynagh’s went on to pick off points with incredible regularity. So much so that by the 43rd minute, seven unanswered points made it 2-7 to 0-11. Then Gary Conneely goaled for the lead and the identity of the winner seemed obvious.

Except, ’Rynaghs’ scoring rate slowed, Scales pointed a free to make it 1-12 to 2-7, but, as is their wont, n’Rynagh’s didn’t score for 10 minutes, by which time Cormac Martin, Nigel Mannion and Declan Hogan had restored Tullamore’s lead and the home side were brimming with confidence again. Pat Camon’s line ball crept over the bar for the equaliser, Camon then pointed from distance and Seán Dolan’s late goal ensured there would be no ‘free to make a draw of it’.

Tullamore will have regrets. Something quietly impressive about ’Rynagh’s. Their team has taken it’s shape and now picks itself, which is what you want heading into a semi-final. Stephen Quirke wil likely replace his brother and another scoring threat will be added. They would probably prefer Coolderry to have came through the first quarter-final but thems the breaks.

KILCORMAC-KILLOUGHEY 1-24 BELMONT 2-13

This should have been a doddle for K-K, and having faced the wind first half, led for much of the half and being just a point in arrears, the second half seemed a formality. That it wasn’t defies a certain amount of logic. That it wasn’t with David Kenny and Colin Egan largely on the periphery defied it even more so.

Tomás Geraghty’s coal, coming as it did from a flowing move involving Kevin Grogan and Peter Geraghty was a weekend’s highlight. Shane Nally’s goal just before half-time wasn’t a thing of such beauty but it brought Belmont level and Damien Egan’s pointed free gave Belmont a half-time lead that was incredible for much of that half.

The Geraghty twins are stylists and are a pleasure to watch. They will be the difference between K-K retaining their title, or not.

Damien Egan offered Belmont hope with a thundering ’65 as the wind seemed to drop in velocity as evening drew in. Yet, six successive points signalled K-K were on their way, as Barry Egan struggled to find the first 65 with his puckout. David Cox and Kieran McManus began to gain possession and run at the K-K defence with interesting results. Cox scored a goal and there followed 10 minutes of score-for-score, at the end of which K-K led 1-17 to 2-12 with about ten minutes to go.

Then K-K began to find the target again and closed the game out. Daniel Currams scored his first point of the evening, and a run of seven successive points saw them home. Joe Maher, who has potential if he can devote more time to the hurling, completed the scoring.

There’s something about Kilcormac. On the go for 18 months solid (granted that has been the time of their lives), didn’t look comfortable when ran at, and with a couple of forwards who need to contribute a bit more. For the first time, there are chinks. Just narrow ones revealing tiny slivers of light. The semi-final draw will be interesting.