Offaly v Waterford, SH qualifier, 22nd June 2013

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Re: Offaly v Waterford, SH qualifier, 22nd June 2013

Post by Lone Shark »

I have to say, I love this draw. I love it for several reasons, but mainly I love it because one way or another, our season was always likely to come down to a qualifier fixture against a Munster opponent, and if we win that tie, it can be considered a moderately decent championship - all the more so in the light of the wholehearted and full blooded showing against Kilkenny.

It's a great draw because it's at home, against an opponent that will be very unfamiliar with the ground, and it's a great chance for the hurlers to further develop a bond with O'Connor Park, since they'll have even more positive memories of playing there. That's not meant as an OCP vs SBP comment, merely that the facts are that we'll be hurling any home championship games in OCP for the foreseeable future and it would be great to put this idea that it's not a home ground to bed.

I love this draw because we have a tendency to underperform after big games, and I'd have dreaded a game against Laois or Antrim now - everything to lose and nothing to gain. I love it because we're coming in with a positive vibe about Offaly hurling, which is not often the case after a defeat in any county. In contrast, Waterford must be feeling like they really let things slip against Clare. They could have put Clare away early in the second half of that fixture but they didn't, and that's a much more painful defeat to overcome.

Above all, it's a great chance for the hurlers to go out there and prove that they aren't just a group of players who are capable of delivering a big showing now and again, but who then slip back to type with a lacklustre effort. A friend of mine remarked to me that you've to go back a long time to find the last time Offaly put two really good performances together back to back, and when you look at the results, that's very much the case. It's all very well to hurl like a demon one day and then rest on your laurels, but the only way we'll really improve is to maintain the level of performance we saw against Kilkenny and build on it. We mightn't always get the rub of the green as we got for Colin's goal, or even for Joe Bergin's second, but if that level of intensity and commitment becomes the norm, then incremental steps forward in tactics could work wonders.

I really hope we get a big crowd in for this one and the player feed off it and hit the ground running. If that happens, we could be in for a great game of hurling and maybe even a good result.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by Ahlethimoutwithit »

Really looking forward to this and the best of luck to the lads, in this case, we are up against a team who are in transition, some doubts appearing over their manager and some lads coming to the end of their days. A full blooded , yet composed use of the ball is what we are seeking and on this occasion if we can deliver this, we could be able to deliver the win.

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Cant wait for this game, we have been blessed this year getting a few homes draws and about time to . I would hope there would be a much bigger crowd from Offaly at this game , the last day it seemed that Kilkenny fans out numbered us and I hope we get behind the team and drive them over the line. Best of luck to all involved again , supporters and players come on the faithful.

Sharp Eye
All Star

Post by Sharp Eye »

Two Senior Football Championship games fixed by the Offaly Co Board were cancelled at short-notice. The games involved St Brigids v Ballycumber and Clara v St Rynaghs. I do not know the reasons why they were cancelled, but I suspect it was due to the Offaly v Waterford Qualifier. Clara and St Brigids have no players on the hurling panel. Ballycumber has one. St Rynaghs have not got many to my knowledge. In order to "rest" 2 or 3 county players over 80 club players (4 teams) and 4 club team-managements have had their plans destroyed. They will no doubt be given short notice to play these outstanding games, whenever the County Senior Team Management give their approval. The fact that Offaly are hurling senior championship next weekend was virtually certain for the past 3 months. It is now time for club county board-delegates to stand up for the ordinary club player and stop our Senior Team Managements calling all the shots.

biffo1991
Junior C

Post by biffo1991 »

Cathal Parlon sustained a broken hand within the 1st 5 minutes of the Kilkenny match and had surgery on it yesterday so he is ruled out for the near future.

Seniors played the Under 21's in a challenge match and Del Morkan played the second half was way off the pace, as expected.

If del is not passed fit its a bit of a worry for the half back line, as he would be a huge loss, yet again.

red exile
County player
Club: edenderry

Post by red exile »

Has this game been moved to parnell park

blue biffo
Junior A
Club: tullamore

Post by blue biffo »

Sharp Eye wrote:Two Senior Football Championship games fixed by the Offaly Co Board were cancelled at short-notice. The games involved St Brigids v Ballycumber and Clara v St Rynaghs. I do not know the reasons why they were cancelled, but I suspect it was due to the Offaly v Waterford Qualifier. Clara and St Brigids have no players on the hurling panel. Ballycumber has one. St Rynaghs have not got many to my knowledge. In order to "rest" 2 or 3 county players over 80 club players (4 teams) and 4 club team-managements have had their plans destroyed. They will no doubt be given short notice to play these outstanding games, whenever the County Senior Team Management give their approval. The fact that Offaly are hurling senior championship next weekend was virtually certain for the past 3 months. It is now time for club county board-delegates to stand up for the ordinary club player and stop our Senior Team Managements calling all the shots.
Not sure if Offaly v waterford was the reason these games were called off, Tullamore and Ferbane went ahead with both Shane Dooley and Colin Egan playing but i may be wrong on this.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Team selections which are published during midweek can generally be ignored, but the numbers Waterford have announced they will wear are as follows -

1. Stephen O'Keeffe, Ballygunner
2. Shane Fives, Carrigtwohill
3. Liam Lawlor, Fourmilewater
4. Noel Connors, Passage
5. Jamie Nagle, Dungarvan
6. Michael Walsh, Stradbally
7. Darragh Fives, Tourin
8. Paudie Prendergast, Lismore
9. Kevin Moran, De La Salle
10. Jake Dillon, De La Salle
11. Séamus Prendergast, St Declan's Ardmore
12. Shane O'Sullivan, Ballygunner
13. Jamie Barron, Fourmilewater
14. Maurice Shanahan, Lismore
15. Brian O'Sullivan, Ballygunner

That Maurice Shanahan is nominated to wear 14 probably means he will line out at right half-forward.

This morning, Newstalk noted rumours that Eoin Kelly was back in the fold. He's not named in the team but I suspect a number 27 could appear at some stage of the game.

For the Clare match, Waterford lined out as follows - O’Regan; D Fives, Lawlor, Connors; Nagle, M Walsh, Prendergast; S O’Sullivan, Moran; Shanahan, S Prendergast, O’Halloran; Barron, Mahony, Dillon.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

westender
Junior A
Club: n/a

Post by westender »

biffo1991 wrote:Cathal Parlon sustained a broken hand within the 1st 5 minutes of the Kilkenny match and had surgery on it yesterday so he is ruled out for the near future.

Seniors played the Under 21's in a challenge match and Del Morkan played the second half was way off the pace, as expected.

If del is not passed fit its a bit of a worry for the half back line, as he would be a huge loss, yet again.
"Might get shot for this"Del being a fine hurler, for the last few years; he's oponent gets too many scores for my liking.
Should he play further out the field, midfield/Halforward, as he is a bit loose in at half back.

Aragorn
Junior C

Post by Aragorn »

This is the perfect draw for Offaly in my view and as soon the draw was made I fancied yer chances. If the high ball into the Kk full-back line caused problems for Delaney and co., I don't see the Waterford full-back line coping. When teams telegraph ball into their full-forward lines v Wford it allows them time to get organised. It's admirable how Liam Lawlor, for a limted enough hurler, has managed to survive so long at 3 for the Deise, but you could probably count on one hand how many fetches/clearances he was made in the last few years. Delay the ball going in and you are playing into their hands, fast high ball in is the key as it won't allow Brick the time to drop back and shore things up.

I had my doubts whether Slevin would make it at county level, and while it's not fair to judge a lad on one championship game, it's quite the gamble to give him another chance in what will likely be a close game. Tom Carroll looked very lively around the middle of the field against our u21's and I'd be far more inclined to go with him at wing forward.

At the other end Offaly are well placed to deal with Waterfords main threats. Prendergast enjoys a big strength advantage over most inter-county players but he'll meet his match in this department v Healion. Move Prendergast into 14 and it's out of the frying pan, into the fire v Kenny. Waterford have nice young hurlers in the corners and on the wings, but it's hard to pick a game winner among them.

Too many times in recent years Offaly have gone very close without finishing the job. Hannify, Dooley, Bergin etc. aint getting any younger either. This is a vital game for Offaly, I hope ye do it.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

Carpe Diem. Seize the day.

I’d be a lot more confident about this if Offaly actually ‘did’ momentum. But they don’t. Then again, I do expect Offaly will be as fired up as they were the last day. Which is a good starting point.

Because the stakes are massive. Win, and Offaly will enjoy a long season and be a part of Championship 2013.

To do well, Offaly need to pick off scores right from the start and keep up a decent scoring rate. They cannot afford to go score-for-score while maintaining a narrow lead. The longer Waterford stay in this, the better Waterford’s chance of winning.

I keep thinking back to the 2006 qualifier against Limerick in Tullamore. Then, a fragile Limerick, who were in the middle of yet another crisis came to Tullamore. Offaly went a goal up after about 3 minutes, went about 8 points up, left the door open, were level at half-time and could only watch Limerick drive a procession of points over the Park Avenue crossbar. A great chance to progress had been lost and has never been regained.

Having driven what must have been over 20 balls into Kilkenny’s full-back line, it’s not improbable that Offaly’s biggest problem will be getting the ball into the danger area on Saturday. And while driving up-and-unders is all very well, Offaly will need to score almost twice as many points as the nine they did the last day.

Kilkenny tended to keep their formation a fortnight ago (in that, while Richie Power did roam to right and (sometimes) left, they generally kept three full-forwards and three half-forwards). Waterford will be more likely to roam. Five years ago Eoin Kelly scored 2-13 from corner-forward and while he was taking the frees, many of those were created by Waterford’s right half-forward on Kelly’s side (I think that was Eoin McGrath but passage of time means I’m not sure) vacating his position leaving space for Kelly to make hay. How will Offaly react in this instance?

Then again, Offaly went to Cork in each of the last two years. They left it behind them in 2011 – creating chance after chance and driving them all wide. That was the day Colin Egan came of age, scoring a great goal and cracking another off the crossbar. Last year Offaly went to Cork with a plan to vary the puckout and to use possession wisely. No Eoin Kelly in goals this time though.

Hard to know how Waterford are fixed. That their match against Clare made for such bad hurling was largely due to Clare’s swarm defence strategy. In contrast, Waterford will have more room to hurl on Saturday.

The Offaly public can be an unforgiving sort betimes. Which is why Offaly need to take seize the initiative from the start. Doing so will get the crowd on their side (programme flingers included) as they warm to the action, as opposed to finding their voices following a perceived refereeing injustice. Many might have gone to the Kilkenny match but didn’t, fearing another 6-28 job. No TV this time, I expect they’ll come on Saturday. Maybe about 7,000 will.

A win would restore everyone’s faith in Offaly hurlers. The team drives the crowd, not the other way around. Offaly hurlers put in as much effort as the Munster teams who occupy All-Ireland quarter-final and semi-final days. Hopefully Tullamore will rock. For the hurlers. They deserve it.

GreatDayForTheParish
All Star

Post by GreatDayForTheParish »

I wonder.

My own feeling of the KK game from two weeks ago is that Offaly are getting far too much credit for their performance both from the national media and our own supporters. While the first 30 minute performance was indeed laudable what proceeded there after was an absolute hammering - enough to rival any of the beatings Offaly have received against KK over the past 10 years. Two goals at the death administered a nice tinge but truthfully, watching the second half was a difficult experience. Why the reaction? Well to explain the national media is easy - they're patting us on the head. Like a child. They expect us to be gone soon. As for our own supporters - well the last 10 years will leave you clamoring for any positivity. Tis understandable.

Grave concerns surround the team, in particular the positioning of certain players. It worries that these would seem to have been forgotten by many in the clamour to bask in the success drilling four past KK. How much more Paul Cleary must do at club level to merit a place at either full or centre back (no where else, preferably the former) remains an enduring question. Cathal Parlon (out on Saturday) and Dermot Mooney as defenders is something nobody in their own respective clubs would have considered while to use Rory Hanniffy on a wing is to waste our best hurler. And Ger Healion just doesn't have the pace.

The forwards remain something of an enigma with point scoring from play remaining a continuing weakness and criticism of this team. 3 points from play was all that the offensive six managed 11 days ago. A unit containing Brain Carroll, Joe Bergin, Shane Dooley et al should be able to do damage yet our ability to raise the white is underwhelming. Shane Dooley in particular needs to begin contributing from play both with and without the ball. A move of either him or Bergin to the half forward line might add some creativity to the 40. Will Currams make a difference? Consistently inconsistent, he's as likely to be subbed at half time as to score 1-3.

A role for Pat Camon, Tom Carroll in defense and midfield respectively, their best and natural slots? I would certainly think so, there are certainly enough holes in the team. It's time for the best of next generation to be given their chance.

Baker reamins uninspiring, out of his depth and rudderless. It would appear he has believed the hype of 11 days ago. I pray this hasn't seeped into the team.

Set up for Offaly to win? Fear the opposite.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

Derek Morkan in for Parlon (injured), Derek Molloy in for Conor Mahon, and Daniel Currams in for Seán Cleary, according to the RTE site.
http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/hurling/201 ... um=twitter

Faithful 85
Junior C

Post by Faithful 85 »

First all of i agree with previous comments that this is a good draw,no point drawing a lesser county and waiting for the big guns to come along...Waterford in Tullamore is perfect. As POTH has stated we were able to rise it for cork the last 2 years and maybe 2 years didnt have enough belief to beat them..From Last years Cork game Eoin Kelly and Diarmuid Horan are big losses..I really feel we need Kelly in goals if for nothing else but his pin point puck outs.full back line was solid against cats and should do well again,slightly worried about midfield.how fit is Del? Delighted to see Molloy and currams back in forwards,2 of them with Egan,Bergin and Dooley have loads of experience and should be enough to get us over the line hopefully

DAF
All Star

Post by DAF »

With Currams and Bergin in the full forward line it looks like we're going the direct route again , should make for a lot of excitement.There is great physical presence in the Offaly team at the moment.