All Ireland Club Hurling Championship 2012-2013

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
townman
All Star

Re: All Ireland Club Hurling Championship 2012-2013

Post by townman »

puzzled wrote:
townman wrote:
puzzled wrote:so you are saying K/K might as well stay at home that they won't be at the races
hope they don't have your faith
Just giving my honest opinion on what I think could happen I hope that i'm wrong.
I notice that while you are having a pop at my opinion you are not making any predictions yourself?

Best of luck to K/K on saturday!
well what did i tell you :wink:
Well What did you tell me?
No balls to make any prediction yourself!
Totally delighted to be proved so wrong,what a great occasion to attend.
Fair play to all concerned and roll on Paddys day![/quote]

if you look back at my post before the game i went for k/k by 2 points
your the gobshite who said thurles in a canter :roll:

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

What's the population of KIlcormac-Killoughey?

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

I’m trying to get a handle on the population of the Kilcormac-Killoughey catchment area. I’ve got a map of the Electoral Divisions (civil parishes) of the county and the populations of those divisions. I’m getting a population of just over 3,000. Would this be in accordance with local knowledge?

What I have is –
Kilcormac : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : :: : :: : : : : : 1,306
Broughal (between Kilcormac & Lumcloon) : : : : 119
Derrinboy (Kinnitty side of Kilcormac) : : : : : : : 293
Killooly (between Kilcormac & Killoughey) : : : : 271
Killoughey : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : 653
Rathrobin (between Killoughey & Killeigh) : : : : 403
Total of the above : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : 3,045

I take it Lea is Boora which is in Ferbane? Hard to know about Derrycooley – is that The Island?

Almost all this area is in the Ferbane Electoral Area. The exception is Rathrobin, who vote in the Tullamore LEA. Is this Danny Owens’ area? Johnny Butterfield too?
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

SearingDrive
All Star

Re: What's the population of KIlcormac-Killoughey?

Post by SearingDrive »

Kilcormac is in the Ferbane EA, most of Killoughey and the Mountbolus area were transferred from Tullamore EA in a recent revision.
Danny Owens and Johnny Butterfield are based in the Tullamore EA.
You will find KK flags from the Blueball to the Boora bog/Finnamore lakes area. I take it this is the parish boundary.
Going from Blueball towards Killurin cross, townlands are, Pallas park-Pallas-MountPleasant, Blacklion, Ballincanty (Johnny Butterfield's home area), and finally Sconce. These maybe in the Killoughey ED.The KK catchement area stretches as far as the Laois border, next parish Clonaslee.
Gortnamona as in the Percy French song! is in the Killoughey area.

Hope this helps
Plain of the Herbs wrote:I’m trying to get a handle on the population of the Kilcormac-Killoughey catchment area. I’ve got a map of the Electoral Divisions (civil parishes) of the county and the populations of those divisions. I’m getting a population of just over 3,000. Would this be in accordance with local knowledge?

What I have is –
Kilcormac : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : :: : :: : : : : : 1,306
Broughal (between Kilcormac & Lumcloon) : : : : 119
Derrinboy (Kinnitty side of Kilcormac) : : : : : : : 293
Killooly (between Kilcormac & Killoughey) : : : : 271
Killoughey : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : 653
Rathrobin (between Killoughey & Killeigh) : : : : 403
Total of the above : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : 3,045

I take it Lea is Boora which is in Ferbane? Hard to know about Derrycooley – is that The Island?

Almost all this area is in the Ferbane Electoral Area. The exception is Rathrobin, who vote in the Tullamore LEA. Is this Danny Owens’ area? Johnny Butterfield too?

the veteran
Junior B
Club: bracknagh

Post by the veteran »

jtust like to congrat kk on there marvelous year so far .from a football backround but have been at all kk matches and have seen them grow as a team .the have good hurlers but it is there togetherness that stands out for me unreal workrate and commitment .last saturday one of my most enjoyable sporting moments in a while .best of luck in d final

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

http://www.gaa.ie/gaa-news-and-videos/d ... g-decider/

St Thomas’ 0-15 Loughgiel Shamrocks 0-7

St Thomas' are through to the All-Ireland final on St Patrick's Day, where they will meet Offaly's Kilcormac-Killoughey, after a clinical defeat of Loughgiel in their replay at Clones today.

The sides were level at 10-6 apiece at the start of the second half, but the Galway champions hit eight points in a row to seal a big win.

Bernard Burke and Conor Cooney were the stars of the show for the Galway side.

Kilcormac-Killoughey Vs St Thomas. should be a good game.
“Common sense is not so common.”

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

Heard much of this on Galway Bay FM, then saw the first half and the final quarter deferred on TG4.

St Thomas's did all the hurling from start to finish. They were absolutely dominant. That was pretty much what happened in Parnell Park last week, but today St Thomas's made it count on the scoreboard. Their forwards will be a handful for K-K in Croke Park on the big day. The fat lad of the Burke's covered some amount of ground.

It wasn't apparent from television pictures but the GBFM commentators constantly noted that Loughgiel attempted to play with a blanket defence but it backfired spectacularly once 1) St Thomas's organised themselves at half-time and 2) Loughgiel fell into arrears. John Burke, on the sideline, is smart enough.

Today, Watson was found out to be the spoofer he is. Took frees, drove them wide, did feckall else. Back to playing soccer in the parish hall in Ballymoney for him. Their half-back line, which won the All-Ireland for them a year ago, never got into it today.

glens3leafer
Junior C

Post by glens3leafer »

Ah steady on POTH, I have been reading and enjoying your posts for a considerable time and I am surprised that you would come over with such a mean spirited comment about Liam Watson and soccer. In fact his profile rightly or wrongly has been good publicity for hurling both north and south. His short term efforts on the soccer field are tiny compared to his promotion of hurling a game we will remain faithful to to the end of time. It would fit you better, if you reserved your sarcastic remarks for those who are relentlessly promoting rugby over all things and who are abusing their positions in the media and broadcasting institutions of this country to disproportionately push rugby as the sport we should all attend. So therefore enjoy Liam Watson while you can because the same people who have ransacked Ireland with debt will come for your hurling as well unless you stand up to them. I can assure you they will fail in the Glens of Antrim.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

Though disappointed with Coolderry's defeat, I actually shook hands with PJ O'Mullan, Liam Watson & Johnny Campbell an hour after the All-Ireland club Final last March when I bumped into the trio in Croke Park.

I look forward to LW committing to Antrim from now on so I can enjoy him while I can. Yet, his childishness on Twitter leaves a sour taste. My comments which you find objectionable are more a reflection on LW's commitment to Antrim rather than my views on soccer (a game I do not follow anyway).

Truth to tell, I'd much prefer watching Eddie McCloskey (a natural stylist who is grossly underrated nationally), Shea Casey, Neil McGarry and the like in hurling action. I sincerely hope to see Loughgiel back on the national stage again next year.
glens3leafer wrote:Ah steady on POTH, I have been reading and enjoying your posts for a considerable time and I am surprised that you would come over with such a mean spirited comment about Liam Watson and soccer. In fact his profile rightly or wrongly has been good publicity for hurling both north and south. His short term efforts on the soccer field are tiny compared to his promotion of hurling a game we will remain faithful to to the end of time. It would fit you better, if you reserved your sarcastic remarks for those who are relentlessly promoting rugby over all things and who are abusing their positions in the media and broadcasting institutions of this country to disproportionately push rugby as the sport we should all attend. So therefore enjoy Liam Watson while you can because the same people who have ransacked Ireland with debt will come for your hurling as well unless you stand up to them. I can assure you they will fail in the Glens of Antrim.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

Re: What's the population of KIlcormac-Killoughey?

Sconce. What a fascinating place-name. I also heard it mentioned by Ricey Scully on Saturday morning. I would love to know the origin of this place-name.
SearingDrive wrote:Kilcormac is in the Ferbane EA, most of Killoughey and the Mountbolus area were transferred from Tullamore EA in a recent revision.
Danny Owens and Johnny Butterfield are based in the Tullamore EA.
You will find KK flags from the Blueball to the Boora bog/Finnamore lakes area. I take it this is the parish boundary.
Going from Blueball towards Killurin cross, townlands are, Pallas park-Pallas-MountPleasant, Blacklion, Ballincanty (Johnny Butterfield's home area), and finally Sconce. These maybe in the Killoughey ED.The KK catchement area stretches as far as the Laois border, next parish Clonaslee.
Gortnamona as in the Percy French song! is in the Killoughey area.

Hope this helps

durra1
All Star
Club: Durrow/Ballinamere

Post by durra1 »

Glensleafer – Great to hear insight from Antrim. If you’re Loughgiel, commiserations at the weekend, If your Dunloy, congrats …
Re: Your comments on rugby – here’s a little anecdote for you …

I remember being in Ballygalget Co Down a few years back and slipped into the local GAA grounds to watch the local u-16 side hurl against a touring side.

Got talking to the father of the local centre forward who was the standout youngster on the home side in terms of physique / athleticism but hadn’t much in the way of natural hurling touch.

Anyway, Pops started to tell me that Jnr had trials with Glentoran youths and was invited onto their Milk Cup squad a fortnight from then. Pops then went on to say that Jnr had made up his own mind to focus on hurling because to be amongst ‘his own’ and because it was his ‘culture’ etc.

Didn’t see Jnr dribble the sliotar to make a call on his soccer skills but I can say with a reasonable certainly that he lacked the hurling skillset to mark him out as one to watch ahead of the 2021 Championship.

I personally think it will take about two generations before this mentality is weeded out of NI when people being to see sport for what it is. I accept what went before is something we don’t have to deal with in OY and elsewhere.

Can’t guess what your issue from rugby stems from but I can see your an ardent ash plant man.

Rugby would hardly be a threat to up and coming stickmen in the Glens or West Belfast? Correct me if otherwise please.
I’m guessing it might be because it’s the sport that “they” play or it’s the old Karl Marx argument that it’s the sport of the moneyed classes.

It might be worth your while coming down to Tallaght, Dingle, Castleisland, Golden, Gort, Tuam, Inverin, Carrick-on-Shannon , Ballyhaunis, Birr and Donegal town to see that normal people play, watch and enjoy rugby. If you don’t believe me, PM me and I’ll bring you to a club game next time your down.

Moreover, you will see a strong and a healthy cross-over in rugby and GAA in many parishes up and down the country. Monivea in Galway would be a firm example of that. Ja Fallon is currently seeing out a golden autumn for Tuam RFC.

Trevor Ringland, the former Irish international has a good organisation up there that encourages cross community attendance of sports called One Small Step. You can see the work its doing across NI here : http://www.onesmallstepcampaign.org/media/

You should reach out to them to get some Ballymena RFC elders up to the Glens for a game or maybe head down to Eaton Park some Saturday afternoon yourself – although they are doing fairly shite at the moment.

One of the best stories to come out of last year’s Club AIF was DUP Mayor of Ballymoney, Cllr Ian Stevenson attending and supporting Loughgiel.

I’m not one for political stunts and essentiality I’m applauding someone for doing something normal but when you consider what folk in his party have done to sour cross community relations in the past, it was in my view a big step.

glens3leafer
Junior C

Post by glens3leafer »

Durra, Thanks for insightful reply

Firstly I would like you to explain your wholly unjustified attack on some innocent member of a County Down club. Such condescention says a lot about you. You have quickly jumped to conclusions about myself

glens3leafer
Junior C

Post by glens3leafer »

Durra,

My post appears to have been truncated and got lost in the ether
I will respond more fully in the next few days

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by Ahlethimoutwithit »

In that case POTH we are all spoofers! Watson is a fine hurler, who was excellent last year, buried a crucial penalty to earn his side a replay. Fair enough, he performed badly in the replay. Yes he has toyed with soccer, so what? Its not a shooting offence anymore, well not in most parts.

Also with regard to the Glensmans points about rugby, it is now a real threat in nurturing underage footballers and getting panels together in Offaly as much as anywhere else. And the GAA needs to be more proactive in facing up to it.I would say that its different down here in the sense that from a rugby perspective they encourage allcomers and actively seek out young GAA players as they have good handling skills.
Again its great that kids have the option of these sports, but the point I am making is there is an issue in trying to get underage panels together with both rugby and soccer, and in a small county like Offaly that can/will be an issue down the line.

KillougheyGoBragh
County player
Club: KK

Post by KillougheyGoBragh »

A Wagon load of support is Wheeled out as Kilcormac-Killoughey count down to All-Ireland Final day!
The amount of support continues to grow from all parts of our county and beyond in an amazing show of support for our lads as they prepare for the the final in Croke Park on Saint Patricks Day.
I'm really proud to see this for it shows the momentum that Offaly can gather to support its sports people and undoubtedly it will help the team to know that they have the goodwill of Offaly and her neighbouring counties behind them.
An album of colour can be seen here and some of the captions are just wonderful. Hope you enjoy these graphic images especially if you are abroad like I am and wishing you could be around to enjoy the atmosphere that has enveloped the whole County.
Many thanks.

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by Ahlethimoutwithit »

Great Stuff!
Lets hope that the lads can stay focussed on the job ahead.
A key for KK is that the have adapted to the challenges well since they came out of Offaly,
-Solid performance in Carlow, could have been caught on the hop
-Hung in against Laois champs in a tight game in Tullamore
-Leinster final, were serious underdogs, but hurled to a plan and with huge determination, applied serious pressure in the tackling and forced the favourites into mistakes
-Semi, Thurles again serious favourites, KK opened up when they believed in themselves and hurled with a freshness and determination that was really uplifting, from a purely sporting point of view. Lads from all ove rthe county were really thrilled to witness that display from an "Offaly" team.

So now the final. Thomas's are new to it also, so no great advantage there. Thomas will be fresh too. So again the key for KK, to maintain their focus, like any final, it will not be won with mesmerising skill, but whoever applies the basic skills well with the least mistakes. They have delivered these types of performance so far, and especially outside of Offaly.
So, its there for the taking, and I think it will be a good solid dogged game, and with the promise of a great occasion with the football, it could be a really special day in Croke Park. Hopefully for the KK's, from the foothills of the Slieve Blooms, it will be the final successful steps on an epic climb to the summit of club competition. The very best of luck to all players, mgt, the club and the Parish on what will be a special day for the area, and also the county!!