Offaly v Antrim N.H.L 18-3-2012

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Toxicity234
All Star

Re: Offaly v Antrim N.H.L 18-3-2012

Post by Toxicity234 »

OK, lads as far as i could see the team lined out as follows. (Correct me if im wrong)
1. James Dempsey
2. Chris McDonald 3. Dave Kenny 4. Stephen Wynne
18.David Franks 6. Rory Hanniffy 5. Del Morkham
7. Diarmud Horan 12. Brendan Murphy
10. Joe Bergin 9. Connor Mahon 20. Dermot Mooney
20. James Mulrooney 14. Colin Egan 15. Shane Dooley.

I think after about 4 mins Wynne was being drag out the field by the Antrim forward. so they were playing with 4 in the half forward line.
there a lot of talk about Wynne playing in the half back line. Lets not forget that up to the 53 min we had only conceded 9 points.
and our back were well on top.
Our problem was in our forward, the Antrim backs were clearing way to much ball without any presure from the offaly forwards.
If you give any back time to pick out his forward your in trouble. and the ball they did win they were running into trouble with.
Joe Bergin, Bredan Murphy, Sean Ryan and Ger Healion all work well because they got out ahead of there men.
And Bergin and Murphy didn't waste a ball all day.

A Win is a Win, and a great team is build on solid backs playing as a unit. were close to having that.
they'll be disappointed to have conceded 1-17.

Its the forwards that need to work on there interplay but any team that scores 1-21 isn't doing to bad.
“Common sense is not so common.”

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

I thought it was McDonald, Kenny, Franks with Morkan, Rory & Wynne in the half-back line. You're correct with the rest, other than Dooley beeing on the right, naturally, and Mulrooney on the left.
Toxicity234 wrote:OK, lads as far as i could see the team lined out as follows. (Correct me if im wrong)
1. James Dempsey
2. Chris McDonald 3. Dave Kenny 4. Stephen Wynne
18.David Franks 6. Rory Hanniffy 5. Del Morkham
7. Diarmud Horan 12. Brendan Murphy
10. Joe Bergin 9. Connor Mahon 20. Dermot Mooney
20. James Mulrooney 14. Colin Egan 15. Shane Dooley.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

llkj
All Star

Post by llkj »

I don't think the venue today made a huge difference to the size of the crowd. I do not for one minute believe that there are hoards of people out there that would have gone to the game today if it was in Birr/Banagher/other.

However, the county board should be doing more to attract crowds to the venue, any venue. How about organising a bus from parts of the county for supporters that want to go. Advertise it well, take advance bookings, etc. make it really low-cost. Eg: ticket price+2euro for the bus. That way, it takes petrol prices out of the equation and gives everyone an opportunity to go - or as importantly, takes away one the main excuses that people make.

Try and build up a bit of a real supporters club. Might take time to build momentum, but could be really fun - do it for home and away games and then for Championship too.

Something new at least!

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

the old saying a win is a win , but feck me it was like wexford park all over again i thought 1-17 to Antrims 0-11
we switch off again and Antrim got 1-6 the last few minutes i thought here we go again.

but Dooleys free steady the ship but we won't get away with it again limerick or clare mind you we didn't get away with it again wexford
we don't have a midfield pair that can hurl with one another Diarmud Horan hurl well yesterday but i'd rather have him wing back.

don't know what the story is with Paul Cleary and Dylan Hayden but if they are ready by championship time add in the Coolderry lads
we will have room to move around then with Kenny to centre back Hanniffy to midfield Cleary to full back maybe Hayden midfield or centre forward.

the crowd was always going to be poor with the club final on the day before you don't think people from Coolderry and clubs around them would
travel across the county maybe with a few kids for the second day with the price of fuel.

the thing about it most were driving by Brendans park which makes no sense at all anyway that subject is done to death the game's are in O'Connor park
but they must be losing money hand over fist with the poor turn out most sundays in saying that they are getting feck all for the football games either
as someone said there are more at the two games in gracefield with the under 21's than at the senior county league matches.

Limerick next saturday which is the make or break game Limerick are back on track after the first round hammering from clare
but we can do it they had a good win over wexford on sunday but we should have had the same last weekend .