1981 Offaly v Laois SHC now on Youtube

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

1981 Offaly v Laois SHC now on Youtube

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Limerickman Henry Martin has posted some hurling footage on Youtube recently. Among the videos is footage from the Offaly v Laois Leinster hurling semi-final from 1981 - the 3-20 to 6-10 one. The attached link contains a part of the Munster Final from that year but towards the end contains both the Kilkenny v Wexford and Laois v Offaly matches.

Some lessons to be noted include "how not to keep goal" by Christy King and "How not to hurl full-back" by Mick Kennedy.
Link here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAa3mUSkrd8
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

llkj
All Star

Re: 1981 Offaly v Laois SHC now on Youtube

Post by llkj »

One word for that - Jaysus?

Now I know that is a legendary Offaly team and i'll probably be shot for saying this, but looking at that video; if you told me that it was a clip of a bad junior game from the 80s, I'd have asked you to stop running down junior hurling. The standard is terrible - and that's the highlights show!

On a side note, viewer discretion is advised as the guys bends over to place the ball for the 2nd penalty - i havent seen shorts that short since the chicken ranch in rochfordbridge closed down.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

remember that day well Christy King was brutal in goals that day in all fairness they came on a long way that year after that match
Damien Martin came back in goals with Eugene Coughlan taking the full back jersey after that game.

Laois hadn't a bad side back then but they seem to always rise it for offaly bar beating wexford in 1985 maybe its because offaly beat them in
80,81,82,(REPLAY) 85, 86,87,89, the draw match in 1982 was a great game as well, Brendan Birminghams late goal in 1986 was another close shave as well

i like to see the leinster final of 1981 again it was a hot summer that year the 1982 first round game was might game as well with wexford offaly weren't long
home from their trip for winning the all ireland in 81, Brendan Keeshan line ball over the bar that day was unreal to win it great to look back at them matches again.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

just back to that laois game Horans goal in the second half was as good as any goal that was got, plus laois got two soft pens

GreatDayForTheParish
All Star

Post by GreatDayForTheParish »

It never fails to strike me how poor games of generations past look in comparison to today's fare. For that reason it's usually best to take a skeptical view of any crys of falling standards compared to the magic of 'back in the day'.

To quote Christy Ring: 'Let no one say the best hurlers belong to the past, they're with us now and better yet to come.''

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Jaysus, all Leix had to do was drop it into the square and it would roll into the net!

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

Bord na Mona man wrote:Jaysus, all Leix had to do was drop it into the square and it would roll into the net!
what was the story will Damien Martin back then was he hurt or what, king was also in the goals for the league final again cork that year
it was christy last day in goal for offaly after that .

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Damien Martin retired from inter-county hurling after the 1980 championship season. Christy King hurled in goal for the League and Jim Troy was sub-goalkeeper. King was still in goal for the 1981 League Final and that 3-20 to 6-10 ‘effort’ against Laois.

Damien was recalled to the squad after that semi-final win. Jim Troy held the no. 16 jersey and King was demoted to the bottom of the list of subs.

I’m not sure why Kennedy was full-back that day – Eugene Coughlan was full-back for the entire league campaign, so I suspect he was injured. Kennedy was taken off that day, replaced by Seán O’Meara of Shinrone. That’s O’Meara wearing the red helmet. It looks to like Pat Delaney (in the black helmet) is full-back for that last Laois goal, judging by the way the defenders run back to their positions.
townman wrote:
Bord na Mona man wrote:Jaysus, all Leix had to do was drop it into the square and it would roll into the net!
what was the story will Damien Martin back then was he hurt or what, king was also in the goals for the league final again cork that year
it was christy last day in goal for offaly after that .
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

Jaysus poor auld Christy he let in 10 goals again laois in two games back in 81, league semil 4 and the championship game 6 :(