Offaly Senior Hurling Management 2012

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Re: Offaly Senior Hurling Management 2012

Post by Lone Shark »

bracknaghboy wrote:
Lone Shark wrote: it was ten years ago. Hurling has completely evolved, and teams from back then would be eaten alive in the modern game.
This I think is a dangerous statement. True the modern hurling game is based around catching high ball and also trying to gain pocession into the hand at all cost. The idea of a lad pulling on the ball in the air today seems absurd. As for ground hurling.....forget about it. It doesn't mean that hurling is always going to be this way. The game has evolved, is evolving and will evolve in the future. I think a manager that is thinking a little outside the modern box would make some strides with the right team (its hard to know who this manager might be). Most teams are looking at Kilkenny and Tipp for ideas but perhaps a team to make the break through will do things a little differently.
Look at football. 13 men behind the ball is what the modern game is evolving into but already teams are looking at ways to unlock this and go for different approaches. In a few years time the notion of a team basing their entire game around the handpass will probably be absurd. Just because someone had success with teams 10 or 20 years ago when the game was different doesn't automatically exclude them from having a chance of success today. We need to be a bit more open minded on these things.
Tommy Lyons let the footballers run loose in 97 and we won a Leinster. A year earlier the notion of our footballers playing with the kind of flair that would have the country talking about us was laughable.
I'm not disagreeing for a minute that what worked in 2010 and 2011 might not be what works in 2012. I'm all for tactical innovation, and if somebody wants to make a case for ground hurling in the context of the modern game and how that could unlock the Kilkenny defence that we saw five weeks ago, then by all means I'm all for it. My point is that there are people saying we should do things the way we did ten to twenty years ago for no reason other than it worked ten and twenty years ago.

However as was pointed out, Ollie Baker has the job - and best of luck to him. It's a huge step up for him based on what he's done already, but as was pointed out here, a lot will depend on his backroom team. So let's see how that goes.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

GreatDayForTheParish
All Star

Post by GreatDayForTheParish »

This is disappointing news. Sad really. Whats done is done however, so we can but see.

Anybody know anything about Alan Cunningham, the coach? Anybody any info on the selectors?

kinnittyman
All Star

Post by kinnittyman »

Seems that Francis Forde has been dispensed with which I'm sure the players won't appreciate.

Cunningham comes highly regarded though. I think he might be a teacher in Shannon. Not completely sure.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Read more about Ollie Baker and Clare here . . .
http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Clare_GAA
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

alltheway
Intermediate

Post by alltheway »

Lone Shark wrote:
bracknaghboy wrote:
Lone Shark wrote: it was ten years ago. Hurling has completely evolved, and teams from back then would be eaten alive in the modern game.
This I think is a dangerous statement. True the modern hurling game is based around catching high ball and also trying to gain pocession into the hand at all cost. The idea of a lad pulling on the ball in the air today seems absurd. As for ground hurling.....forget about it. It doesn't mean that hurling is always going to be this way. The game has evolved, is evolving and will evolve in the future. I think a manager that is thinking a little outside the modern box would make some strides with the right team (its hard to know who this manager might be). Most teams are looking at Kilkenny and Tipp for ideas but perhaps a team to make the break through will do things a little differently.
Look at football. 13 men behind the ball is what the modern game is evolving into but already teams are looking at ways to unlock this and go for different approaches. In a few years time the notion of a team basing their entire game around the handpass will probably be absurd. Just because someone had success with teams 10 or 20 years ago when the game was different doesn't automatically exclude them from having a chance of success today. We need to be a bit more open minded on these things.
Tommy Lyons let the footballers run loose in 97 and we won a Leinster. A year earlier the notion of our footballers playing with the kind of flair that would have the country talking about us was laughable.

I'm not disagreeing for a minute that what worked in 2010 and 2011 might not be what works in 2012. I'm all for tactical innovation, and if somebody wants to make a case for ground hurling in the context of the modern game and how that could unlock the Kilkenny defence that we saw five weeks ago, then by all means I'm all for it. My point is that there are people saying we should do things the way we did ten to twenty years ago for no reason other than it worked ten and twenty years ago.

However as was pointed out, Ollie Baker has the job - and best of luck to him. It's a huge step up for him based on what he's done already, but as was pointed out here, a lot will depend on his backroom team. So let's see how that goes.

Brilliant point LS regarding 20 years ago and what is needed now. Anyone that would breed in ground hurling particularly with the younger generation now, will infact put our development back as a county by another 20 years. Ground hurling worked for successful Offaly teams, simply because they had some masters of the skill and they done it with a certain speed and it worked, at the time their hurling was revolutionary and we reaped the rewards. However with every generation, a new brand comes, the game evolves. We as a county, from the ground up, are years behind in developing a style and a system that will allow us to equal and surpass other teams. It actually defies logic, and is a credit to the players themselves who put in a lot of work and are reasonably competitive on championship days given the level of training they were exposed to since under-age in this county.

Now, barring we have a revolutionary who has everyone buying into a new band of play that miraculously works immediately, then we will have to really really develop our youngsters in a mould that will introduce them to the style of playing the modern game. Step One, get them coming, get them enjoying it, keep it fresh, interesting and do all you can to get to them loving the game first. Then, when you have the respect and commitment, we need to develop their skills, speed, and awareness of how they should play the game, and breed this mentality into them. They are more likely to buy into message you are the message and retain it as they move along.
That is that they learn to be competitive in the air, learning to fight, and win primary possession, breaking the tackle, when clearing a ball, its not the 90 yard big ball up the field that lifts the crowd but does little more than give the opposing back line a great chance to mop up. Either they find there they team-mate or the create a running game to make the space to work a score. Emphasis on collective team play rather than individual play, i.e, the option of taking a point from 30 yards, or breaking the tackle and offloading to a team-mate in a genuine goal scoring position.
Speed needs to become a huge part of the game, and as they develop their skills from 6-10, and start honing them from 10-14 years, coming out of 14 they should be able to do more 'physical' training, let these be sprints, Speed and agility work etc.
Kids should not be subjected to laps and weights from that age, instead having the emphasis on speed work. Coming toward minor and beyond is crunch time for their physical power and development and a core of gym work would have to be implemented to get themselves in a shape to compete with the Kilkenny's, Tipperary et al., of this world, because a part from being extremely talented hurlers, the are seriously conditioned athletes, something which we are not on a par yet, with the exception of a few.

Granted all this will take time, and a system something like what I am trying to get across would require patience. Rome wasn't built in a day, neither was Kilkenny's. But persistence is key. Also, the basics of what I have tried to explain doesn't mean that is the total answer, but bringing kids to a field to have them puking in two's across the field, ground striking the length of the field which takes the guts of 20mins when all is said and done, does not improve their skill levels. As Paudie Butler adhered to, one needs to get on average 200 touches per training session or they aren't improving from session to session. (In his pomp coming up to the 2001 All-Ireland, Eoin Kelly wouldn't stop until he had 1000, he had a person designated with a clicker-counter to count for him, extreme maybe, but did it work? Yes)

All in all, there will be younger posters here in twenty years time lamenting how far we are now unless people are appointed in their clubs to devote serious time and effort doing what is best for our future players and equip them with the best possible, skills, methods and trainings to give them the utmost chance of becoming great once again.

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

Yea, Alan Cunningham is or was a teacher at St Caimans in Shannon. He played for Clare for a good few years in the 80s and maybe even early 90s before succumbing to a knee injury. He would be well respected as a coach and has been involved in a few Clare teams in the last few years. He served as a coach under Anthony Daly for a year or two and also served with the ill fated Mike mac regime for a while. He was also the manager of Wolfe Tones Shannon reaching the All Ireland club final in the mid nineties. He would widely be regarded as a progressive thinking coach with a good head and understanding of the game and would be well respected in Munster. He would not be a a fitness trainer per se, so it will be interesting to see if somebody is brought along in this role as expertise in this area is a requirement for any team intending to compete at the top table. Expertise in the area of physical conditioning has gone to advanced levels among the top three (Tipp KK and Dublin) so it is up to the rest to follow. If they dont they will be left behind...
jimbob

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

If hurling ever switches to 13-a-side Offaly could be called . . . The Baker's Dozen.

(I'll get me coat) :oops:
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

KingLurk
Junior B

Post by KingLurk »

A post doesn't have to be laid out impeccably to be understood and for what it's worth I would agree in a broad sense with gaalltheway - Pat Kirwan has more virtue than vice as a hurling manager. I'm not totally convinced he'd be the right man for the job but i'm 100% convinced he'd be a better choice than what we now have.

As for hurling has evolved, it's still a simple game and the image of offaly as "ground hurlers" is something of a myth. Go back and actually look at the videos - the focus was on first touch, fast ball and keeping it moving, with quick delivery to the forwards which often resulted in fast ground ball, but there was a lot of fast high ball too. That method holds as true today as it did then.

I hope it goes well for the new manager, but I'm far from confident about it.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

KingLurk wrote: As for hurling has evolved, it's still a simple game and the image of offaly as "ground hurlers" is something of a myth. Go back and actually look at the videos - the focus was on first touch, fast ball and keeping it moving, with quick delivery to the forwards which often resulted in fast ground ball, but there was a lot of fast high ball too. That method holds as true today as it did then.
Correct, there was less ground hurling than people actually think. However one man's quick delivery is another man's 'drive it', 'get rid of it' and 'lash it away'.
Its no use being quick if it isn't intelligent.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

alltheway wrote:As it turned out Ollie Baker did get the job, so the confidence around Kirwan's appointment must have been over zealous from who I heard it from.
Anyhow, looks like we have Ollie and it will be interesting as to who is appointed to his backroom staff.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/championshi ... ffaly.html

Also Townman, it's well noted Mick Dempsey's role with the KK hurlers, takes all the coaching sessions and alot of physical work.
Brian Cody openly praises him and notes him in his autobiography as 'team trainer and selector'. So it just proves that having a good manager
overseeing it all and making the final calls, the importance of a well balanced, well run backroom team is essential. On a sidenote, his mother is actually from
Drumcullen (nee Spain). He would be a nephew of Mick Spain.
my point about Mick Dempsey was you don't have to play the game or be brough up with it to be a good manger

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

so ollie is the man at least we have someone let him get on with it now and wish him and Alan Cunningham the best

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

On Ollie Baker. I wish him well in the job. His name wouldn't have jumped out at me as a potential manager, but I'll keep an open mind.

Who knows, he might bring something extra to the role.
Remember that as a player he wasn't a naturally talented hurler, so he would have had to listen to coaching advice a lot more and absorb it.
Players who are natural stickmen are very often poor at coaching others, simply because they haven't fully thought about and can't explain what is second nature to them.

Also he isn't from Offaly and presumably less infected by the group think and outdated mantras that dog Offaly hurling. The list of successful hurling managers from Offaly reads like the list of successful Jewish athletes. The list of failed...we won't go there.

If teams mimic their manager - Baker's Offaly won't shirk any challenges.
In his playing days, I don't recall Joe Dooley emerging from many rucks with the ball or fielding high ones under pressure. He was a 'watch for the breaks' player, Baker was the lad who dived into the pit and wrestled the alligators.

Alan Cunningham seems to be highly rated, so this won't be a one man show.
If Baker brings his own strengths to the mix and delegates on areas he is less expert on, then it could work well.
I'd rather have an inexperienced manager who takes heed of quality advice than a good manager who believes he is a great manager.

If we beat Wexford, then some progress will have been made. If we don't, then another chapter will have been added to the lost decade of Offaly hurling.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

i think that will be one of Ollies best points if you put on the county jersey you fcuking die for it as himself never left anything on the field of play in his day
i think he might bring a little more shall we say cutting or fire back into offaly.

Joe Dooley done the best he could but i think sometimes joe is to nice i think Baker might have offaly going onto the field with the frame them again us
as he said himself in a paper back in the 90's he was brough up watching the offaly team of the 80's and how clare base themselfs on what offaly done in the 80's.

well its done now he could do well or it could end in tear's we shall have to wait and see i wonder who his selctors will be.

thegander
Junior C
Club: Coolderry

Post by thegander »

lads I am sorry but enough is enough. This is a disasterous appointment for Offaly hurling. Baker is 38/39 years of age not long finished hurling and whilst an effective player he was certainly no great ( even Ger Loughnane comments on this in his book). To manage a county team you have to serve an apprenticeship (as with any role in life). That is at least 10years managing various teams at various levels. This results in you gaining valuable lessons in people management, ethics, lifestyle and culture and thats before we even get into the hurling. What happened the last 'Greenhorn' who took over Offaly?? Well after the last 4 years I dont think I need to elaborate. Baker trained Roscrea for 2 years and I know for a fact was ran out of Killimordaly when he was their coach!!! Now thats some managerial CV..
A few points to note
(1) Will Ollie Baker really have a genuine passion for Offaly hurling that say Paddy K or Damien Fix would have brought to the table? This isnt his fault he wasnt raised watching Offaly he hasnt a 'Grá' for Offaly but can he really care as much about us as a genuine Uibh Fhaili??
(2) Can someone really tell me that this isnt a political decision?? In the next few days his 2 'Offaly' selectors will be revealed. Any bets on at least one being from the Brewery Tap brigade which are often mentioned on this forum? Way I see it is that the power must at all costs be kept in Tullamore - South Offaly once again dismissed.....
(3) If anyone here was asked to name Offaly's top 5 hurlers of all time then Brian Whelehan would be in everyone's top 5 and John Troy not far behind. PK's management package was designed to give these lads the experience that they could eventually go on and perhaps be managers themselves one day of this proud county. When this was rejected it will have finished those 2 guys ever having anything to do with Offaly ever again. What a loss, what a shame , what a joke. Would DJ Carey be cast aside in KK if he exoressed an interest in getting involved in the county scence in the future!!! No way
(4) Money......... Ollie has a coach coming up from Clare and a trainer coming from Clare???? Thats a lot of mileage compared to a lad from Birr, Banagher, Lusmagh or wherever.
(5) Whilst on the topic of a coach- since when would a Clare coach bring a package that would fit with Offaly's ethos?? A KK coach yes of course because we play a Leinster brand of hurling not a banner brand...... Can you ever see KK bringing in a coach from Waterford or indeed even Tipp bringing in a coach from Limerick??????? It wouldnt happen
Finally I do wish PK had been successful for the simple reason that he is straight honest passionate (if ignorant and abrupt by times) and knows Offaly hurling inside out. When the County Board wanted a sucker to take over a U21 team who had no prospects they turned to him. The result wasnt acceptable but it probably hurt him more than anyone. But PK could well have pushed for potentially some league games in Birr (heaven forbid!!) so of course that would have been met with disdain from our County Board.. Mark my word fellas we will not progress one inch this year unfortunately as Ollie's lack of tactical knowledge and inability to make changes at the appropriate times will be his downfall ...

llkj
All Star

Post by llkj »

2) Can someone really tell me that this isnt a political decision?? In the next few days his 2 'Offaly' selectors will be revealed. Any bets on at least one being from the Brewery Tap brigade which are often mentioned on this forum? Way I see it is that the power must at all costs be kept in Tullamore - South Offaly once again dismissed.....
Hey Gander, I just want to pick up on one of your points, as it is something that I have been meaning to ask on this forum for a while. What do you mean by the 'Brewery Tap brigade'? I too have heard the phrase a few times and it really does baffle me. I have been into the pub a fair few times but I wouldn't see it as a 'GAA pub' at all. I know the owner has an interest in GAA and you would see a few of the county team in there as well as some ex-players, but that is normal as it is a busy pub in the centre of the town. Also, I know that it would not be a pub of the local teams either, except for the Tullamore rugby club. So, just for clarity could you specify who or what you mean by this? Thanks.

Also, as I read your point more, I also notice that you say that power must be kept in Tullamore. What has Ollie Baker got to do with Tullamore, apart from working there? He doesn't even live in Offaly or have any connection to the clubs in the area either.