Offaly Senior Hurling Management 2012

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
joe bloggs
All Star

Re: Offaly Senior Hurling Management 2012

Post by joe bloggs »

alltheway wrote:Paddy Kirwan appointed.

Either you are a top quality WUM merchant, or our county board has lost the run of itself
'if your not part of the solution, your part of the problem' J. McClean

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

did i hear right and that laois have appointed teddy mcarthy as senior hurling manager,if so it should generate some interest in hurling in laois.offaly have still no word on who they are going to appoint,teddy was at laois hurling semi final yesterday at least they are making some kind of sense of it,i wonder will offalys next manager be at our semi finals!!

azoffaly
All Star

Post by azoffaly »

Laois have appointed Paudi Butler as director of hurling type, and Teddy Mc as senior manager. That's a serious statement by them Good for them.
Shane Gavin. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Remember a few years ago Birr were missing Simon Whelahan for a Leinster Club final against Castletown, who were managed by an Sac Mór? The replay was originally fixed for a week later but an Sac Mór protested that Castletown didn’t do hurling on successive weeks. The replay was deferred for another week. The extra week gave Simon the opportunity to recover sufficiently to hurl and he played a big part in Birr’s win. There’s management judgment for you.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:Remember a few years ago Birr were missing Simon Whelahan for a Leinster Club final against Castletown, who were managed by an Sac Mór? The replay was originally fixed for a week later but an Sac Mór protested that Castletown didn’t do hurling on successive weeks. The replay was deferred for another week. The extra week gave Simon the opportunity to recover sufficiently to hurl and he played a big part in Birr’s win. There’s management judgment for you.
remember it well big slip up from paddy that day simon had a knee injured played the replay and scored 2-5 .

kinnittyman
All Star

Post by kinnittyman »

Two senior hurling weekends left and no move on the manager yet. Surely it would be of huge benefit to the incoming manager (if he's an outsider?!) to catch the tail end of the championship. Get himself familiar with certain players etc.

What's going to happen now is one of two things - a) He'll have to go on the word of whoever makes up his managment team from inside the county or b) (and this would be a disaster) he'll have pointless, ridiculous trial games in the depths of winter which we all know is a complte waste of time.

Maybe the county board have weighed this all up and have decided on an inside appointment hence the non-rush in appointing/announcing him??

GreatDayForTheParish
All Star

Post by GreatDayForTheParish »

Lads, if we were to go through all if Paddy Kirwans mishaps and deficiencies as a manager, we could be here all day. From this year alone we have the abject organisation and performance of the County U-21's along with the 'pull hard' techniques he instilled in Drumcullen (and not much else).

All I have talked to realise this, how bad this would be. All we can do is pray that the selection committe and the County Board realise it too. If not a winter if discontent could well follow.

old yellar
All Star

Post by old yellar »

i think any worthwhile hurling man from outside the county would have a decent idea of what talent etc is available for them to select from. its not rocket science and having a previous years squad and selectors from within the county, the new manager will know whats what in a short space of time. i m gone out of offaly 4 years and i d nearly pick most of the panel for next year! the one season wonders would have to be looked at granted, but i think its getting the commitment from the players is the big thing - i dont mean the lads that are there arent committed, far from it, but toask those lads with talent and who are showing up well in club matches are they going to make the step up to intercounty and all its demands.. one name mentioned a lot is francis forde, but can you tell me how many club matches hes been at in 14 years in offaly??!! it doesnt matter to him, or any decent hurling man, as within 3/4 sessions he d have lads judged and sized up to see if the cut the mustard at that level both in hurling terms and mentally.. dont panic, make sure ye get the right man more importantly, as the right man will pick the right players, and do the right thing. i dont think any manager will judge lads entirely on a trial game solely. thats u12 stuff!

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

well in all fairness maybe 3 or 4 that weren't in with the county the last two years it will be handy enough to pick a panel the same players
will be there again i don't think theres any outstanding young players breaking into the senior scene at the moment not what i have seen
over the last few years in underage hurling anyway or in the club championship this year you could nearly name the offaly team for 2012
bar maybe 1 or 2 new faces might be it.

Over The Black Spot
County player

Post by Over The Black Spot »

I would honestly be of the opinion that we couldn't find a worse man for the job than Paddy Kirwan. His ineptness knows no bounds and the sight of him standing on a sideline balling at all and sundry while wearing the bainisteoir bib is actually quite disturbing. His spell as u21 manager was a farce from start to finish, culminating in an embarrassing defeat to the dubs. The fact that he even got that job or is having his name mentioned in connection with the vacant senior job speaks volumes about those sitting at the top table of offaly gaa.

I'm of the opinion that we should look at getting someone in from outside the county. I'm not a massive fan of outside managers as a rule but, it seems to lead to disaster when we do things in house. Whether it's a political thing or just plain lack of know how, managers from within the county always seem to make a mess of the job and it's not someting we can afford to stay doing indefinitely. My only requirements when appointing someone would be that a) they know their hurling,ie can coach, pick a team and have a bit of tactical awareness before and during a game and b) are keen to do the job properly, ie not just looking to boost a cv, punch in time while waiting for another job to come free or pick up handy money. Obviously a bit of experience would be ideal but not vital imo.

I think, or hope more like, that we will see the right decision but then I think back to a quote I read from our county chairman in some of the papers last week when asked about progress on appointing a manager. With the journo suggesting it would be best to have someone in place before the semi-finals, the reply was (and I paraphrase slightly because I can't find the paper) "shur anyone that's interested in the job will be there anyway". Sounds more and more like an inside job everytime I think of that quote.....

alltheway
Intermediate

Post by alltheway »

From interviews this week, the latest that rumblings are infact it looks highly likely that Paddy Kirwan will be appointed on a ticket with Brian Whelehan and John Troy as selectors.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

alltheway wrote:From interviews this week, the latest that rumblings are infact it looks highly likely that Paddy Kirwan will be appointed on a ticket with Brian Whelehan and John Troy as selectors.
If Moodys were rating us now, we'd be gone from BBB- to junk bond status on the strength of that rumour alone. If there was a way to short Offaly hurling right now, most of the country would be doing it.

I actually don't believe this is possible. Genuinely. There is no way people charged with the development of Offaly hurling could think that this could possibly end well.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

alltheway wrote:From interviews this week, the latest that rumblings are infact it looks highly likely that Paddy Kirwan will be appointed on a ticket with Brian Whelehan and John Troy as selectors.
You've caught a few whoppers here alltheway!

alltheway
Intermediate

Post by alltheway »

Look lads, Im not here saying he's good bad or indifferent, just putting it out there that the talk is getting stronger about it by people in the know around Birr so don't be at all surprised if a formal announcement is in the offing very soon. One thing about the man is that there is very few, if any, that will have as much of an insight into club hurling within Offaly as he is a regular at every dogfight across the county. Maybe the the talk will prove unfounded, but in these circles that its being, I would be surprised if he dosen't get it. And with the County Boards penchant for getting former stars back in the loop at all levels, bringing back John Troy and Whelehan makes to them an attractive looking ticket in their eyes.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

alltheway wrote:Look lads, Im not here saying he's good bad or indifferent, just putting it out there that the talk is getting stronger about it by people in the know around Birr so don't be at all surprised if a formal announcement is in the offing very soon. One thing about the man is that there is very few, if any, that will have as much of an insight into club hurling within Offaly as he is a regular at every dogfight across the county. Maybe the the talk will prove unfounded, but in these circles that its being, I would be surprised if he dosen't get it. And with the County Boards penchant for getting former stars back in the loop at all levels, bringing back John Troy and Whelehan makes to them an attractive looking ticket in their eyes.
as for having an insight into club hurling in offaly you would think he would have trained the under 21's better than he did, there is a lot of people that go to every match from
senior to junior F that doesn't make him a good manger or should get the job.

his carry on with Drumcullen this year and the way he has spoken to underage players and his manner with them has to be seen to be belive, as for Sid and John Troy wouldn't
mind them in with offaly as they might bring something to the table for the younger lads coming onto the squad and know there stuff and might bring some skill back into the
county side with Sid looking after the backline and Troy the forwards.

i like to see an outsider over them this year with Sid and Troy, Nicky English, Micheal Walsh of kilkenny, justin McCarthy maybe.