Offaly Senior Hurling Club Championship 2011

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
kinnittyman
All Star

Re: Offaly Senior Hurling Club Championship 2011

Post by kinnittyman »

Shinrone eased to a 1-19 to 0-11 victory in the end. 2 sendings off in the second half, one for each team. I think it was William Spain (no.3) for Drumcullen (it was coming in fairness) and I don't know who got sent off for Shinrone as I had no programme. I don't think there was any.

Drumcullen also did their best to start a fight after the game when one of their used subs laced a Shinrone mentor with a shoulder on the way off the pitch. Another selector then pushed the Drumcullen hurler back who proceeded to shape to hit the Shinrone guy with the hurl but thought better of it. Then we had the obligatory slanging match where the most vocal was of course Paddy Kirwan. He shouted some absolute dung it has to be said. The women in front of me in the terrace from Shinrone who were placed very near the field didn't help matters it must be said.so

It all passed off after a minute or so.

Shinrone just about guaranteed at worst 3rd spot in the group. Hard to judge them by tonight's performance as the opposition were so poor. They do seem to have nice forwards in fairness though.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

Thats William Spains second sending off in this years championship if it was him pulled a dirty stroke again Birr as well why do Drumcullen
play this jackase does he think he is some hard man or something he will meet his waterloo one day muppet :oops:

Bazil Brush
Junior A

Post by Bazil Brush »

Was at the match this evening poor enough game i thought. I think it was JP Cummins who was correctly sent off for a head high pull on Shane Molloy . William Spain was very harshly giving his marching orders in all fairness it was no more than an aggresive push. Paddy Kirwin was doin some serious mouthing alright. How he was let over our u 21s this year is baffling .Shinrone are through to the quarters now most likely in 3rd spot. They'll be tricky opposition for whoever they meet.

timber
All Star

Post by timber »

kinnittyman wrote:Shinrone eased to a 1-19 to 0-11 victory in the end. 2 sendings off in the second half, one for each team. I think it was William Spain (no.3) for Drumcullen (it was coming in fairness) and I don't know who got sent off for Shinrone as I had no programme. I don't think there was any.

Drumcullen also did their best to start a fight after the game when one of their used subs laced a Shinrone mentor with a shoulder on the way off the pitch. Another selector then pushed the Drumcullen hurler back who proceeded to shape to hit the Shinrone guy with the hurl but thought better of it. Then we had the obligatory slanging match where the most vocal was of course Paddy Kirwan. He shouted some absolute dung it has to be said. The women in front of me in the terrace from Shinrone who were placed very near the field didn't help matters it must be said.
Trouble seems to find Drumcullen wherever they play. Its become a major talking point here. Terrible carry on. Its only making these lads more wired than they ever were.
Last edited by timber on Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:45 pm, edited 4 times in total.

joe bloggs
All Star

Post by joe bloggs »

good man timber, i see you took my advice
'if your not part of the solution, your part of the problem' J. McClean

puzzled
All Star
Club: neutral

Post by puzzled »

Was at this game yesterday evening have to say St.Brendans was looking top drawer its great to see senior hurling back in Birr!
It wasnt a great game of hurling by any stretch of the imagination both teams were guilty of some terrible shooting Micheal Cordial must have ended with 10 points or more but he hit some poor wides and against better oppisition those misses will be punished.Drumcullen were well in this game with only a point between them after 10 minutes in the second half but shinrone had too many forwards able to pick off a score something which Drumcullen have not got,only two of their forwards scored from play with Damien Spain scoring a few great points!
The sendings off were total oppisites the Shinrone player totally deserved the red card he pulled across the Drumcullen player giving the referee no choice but to send him off!
The other incident happened when the Drumcullen player ran across to where a scuffle was going on and he pushed the Shinrone player to the ground,now for me it was a case of the referee getting conned by the Shinrone player rolling around the ground until the red card was produced!
Some of the guff that was thrown on the line wasnt pretty and it shouldnt happen at all,but some posters on here seem to think it was all one way the Shinrone mentors got involved in some ugly banter as well!
Have to wonder about some of the posters on here and how many actually attend the matches that they comment on!

Long John
All Star

Post by Long John »

Anybody got the teams and scorers from last night?

More trouble after this game so? The Drummies involved again?

keenonsport
Junior A

Post by keenonsport »

St Rynaghs 2-19 Tullamore 0-11

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Briefly. Rynagh's led 6-1 after 10 minutes and 12-3 after 20 kinutes, by which stage the game was up. It certainky was three minutes later after Michael Lyons finished a rebound to the net after Damien Fox saved well from Ger Scales. 1-12 to 0-6 at half time, and as keenonsport said, finished 2-19 to 0-11, Stephen Quirke adding the second goal with 7 minutes to go.

Tullamore were abject. There was none of the heart or spirit they showed against Clareen. Lusmagh wouldn't be wothout hope in the final round. it was a good solid performance by Rynagh's. Nothing spectacular, which would suit them better. They're guaranteed a top 2 slot and will avoid Birr and Coolderry in the quarter-final - they'll probably face Kinnitty who look likely to finish 4th in th'other group.
keenonsport wrote:St Rynaghs 2-19 Tullamore 0-11
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

This was my first time this year to see Tullamore hurl, so I'm open to being corrected if they were way below their usual standard, but I have to say I was hugely underwhelmed by the town this evening. There were a load of players who couldn't strike the ball off one side (or either side in a couple of cases), there were players whose touch was way off, and there were players who were unfit, out of shape or both. Rynaghs fell asleep for a long period in the second half and failed to contest the breaks and even when Nigel Mannion and Mark Conlon started to pick up a few breaks, Tullamore still couldn't get any scoring rhythm going.

Stephen Egan was excellent, albeit he rarely got going due to constant fouling, and Cillian Bane was very solid at full back too, but other than that there was little to like about Tullamore. They'll obviously improve immensely for the return of Shane Dooley, and you would expect Ed Finnerty to be better from frees than he was tonight, but even at that they look way off the pace of the better teams in the county.

I'm still not sure what to make of Rynaghs. There's something a little bit wrong when your midfielder is your most frequent scorer from play, and though most of the forwards got on the scoresheet tonight, only Stephen Quirke really looked sharp to me against a moderately decent opponent. On the other side of that, their back line is hurling well and in club championship, the value of a good freetaker cannot be overstated and Gary Kelly is in great form right now. I still find it hard to see them beating a Birr or Coolderry team in a knockout game, but time will tell.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Hugely disappointing game in Shinrone this evening between Birr and Coolderry. Finished 1-16 to 0-10 in favour of Birr, and the match was played at a pedestrian pace throughout. Coolderry were woefully poor, shot eleven first half wides and really struggled in the back line and at midfield. Tomás Bolger top scored with 1-7, 1-2 from play, and all over the field Birr had players that were dominating - Brian Watkins, Neil Rogers, Rory Hanniffy and Dylan Hayden were all in good form, but the lack of any meaningful challenge from Coolderry was very disappointing.

Brian Carroll and Michael Ryan came off the bench in the second half and both men looked fit, but even allowing for their absence, and that of Kevin Connolly and Kevin Brady, they look way off the pace. Possibly they weren't trying or something, but that would be a ridiculous plan if so.

Four games into another round of SHC matches, and no good games yet. Not encouraging at all.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

just back in from the match Lone Shark has got it spot on in was like a league match with Coolderry very poor
but i think they will be a different kettle of fish if we are to meet later on in the championship.

well you can only beat what is in front of you as they say, great displays by Dylan Hayden who is hurling great stuff this year plus Rory Hanniffy
glad Thomas Bolger had a good game was on the bench the last day again Shamrock's and prove his point tonite, well anytime you beat Coolderry
by 9 points is a good night anyway great win from the lads and lets hope they cam keep it going for the whole championship this year.... HON BIRR

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Speculation on my part at this stage but are we looking at a quarter final pairings of: -
Birr v Belmont / Tullamore
Coolderry v KIlcormac
Shinrone v Clareen
Kinnitty v Rynagh's

Dare I say wins for Birr, Kilcormac (nap), Shinrone (who have a good record against Clareen) and Rynagh's?

Kinnitty v Shamrocks was horrendous mullocking altogether yesterday evening. It doesn't even bear thinking about. An hour of my life I'll never get back!
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

backofthenet
All Star

Post by backofthenet »

Bad game in shinrone tonight no doubt, I think you have to bear in mind Coolderry were missing Brian Carroll, Kevin Connolly, Cathal Parlon & Kevin Brady. Thats 4 out of the 5 lads that were involved with the county team this year!!

However fair play to birr in fairness you can only beat whats in front of you and Birr done just that. I think tactically Birr got it spot on, kept their half back line tight to their full back line to stop space for Eoin Ryan and Damien Murray in the corners who were swallowed up time and time again whilst Gary Hanniffy was tasked with the job of running Joe Brady anywhere but in the direction of the ball which worked beautifully with the movement of birrs forwards causing serious problems.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

Birr also have a few to come back in :wink: