The Betting Thread

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
bula bula
All Star

Re: The Betting Thread

Post by bula bula »

Offaly at 5/6 -8 points on the handicap with Paddy Power.
Seems like a cracking bet to me. 8 points is probably around the mark but if we turn up hungry and really go for them then it will go in to double figures. How's that for confidence! :D
"Ohhh mamma!"

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

bula bula wrote:.... if we turn up hungry and really go for them ....
I agree on the price, however I hate betting on the basis of the above. There are several games like that at the weekend - Kilkenny against Clare being another. Obviously on recent form, Kilkenny should win by a lot more than five, but you never really know if they're interested in cutting loose like that.

Now if you had a few lads from the Offaly team tell me that Niall Rigney ran over one of the lad's pet dog and that the whole squad were out for revenge, then I'd pile in. However you just never know with these games.

Still the side to be on though - if I was the bookie I'd have put a handicap of ten or eleven on this one.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

bula bula
All Star

Post by bula bula »

I agree about Kilkenny but I always stay away from backing against Clare in Ennis, even if it is against the cats. Burnt too many times before!
I still reckon that we are the stand out bet of the weekend so will just be sticking with that one.

Anyone got any ideas for a good football bet? Am I mad in thinking that Kilkenny even money plus 26 points at home to Leitrim is worth a look? I know they are woeful but Leitrim are no world beaters and not the biggest of score getters. I might just have a small go at it myself and take the ridicule after.
"Ohhh mamma!"

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

I'm not sure about the big ball this week, I think the best bets are in the hurling myself - Kilkenny possibly, but Tipp at home to dublin on the handicap certainly. It would be easy to overestimate Dublin and underestimate Tipp after last week but I think Tipp will do their usual trick of going to town on a weaker team at home. They're my nap of the week.

Kildare to beat Fermanagh at 8/11 might be the call in the football. Fermanagh are really at nothing in that division and while we might like to think that Kildare are beatable, they're still operating at a damn decent level right now.

GOOFY
County player

Post by GOOFY »

Surely Antrim footballers at home even money is worth a bob or two??
First ball is when you make your mark

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

Not sure why you think that? Antrim and Sligo in Casement looks like a fairly even match on paper to me, even money each of two seems bang on.

What's your thinking on this one?

bula bula
All Star

Post by bula bula »

LS, I think that you have been reading my mind! The 3 bets that stood out to me were ourselves, Tipp and the cats. I am going to play it safe and leave the cats out of it and just do ourselves on the handicap with a Tipp straight win and maybe a small bit on Tipp against the handicap.
By the way, what do you think about Kilkenny in the football with the handicap?
I agree regarding the Antrim /Sligo game. I would have Antrim ahead but only because of home advantage. They could easily beat Sligo but they are also capable of turning in a shocker, so for me they would be a dodgy bet at the odds.
"Ohhh mamma!"

INOFFALYIBELIEVE
Junior B

Post by INOFFALYIBELIEVE »

The 13/10 about Derry to beat Tyrone in Omagh is a tempter too.. Tyrone havent really got going this year, will be a different proposition as the year progresses of course but at the minute they are struggling.

They only managed one point in the second half against Donegal last week and are definitely missing their suspended and injured players , justin & joe mcmahon, mcmenamin, dooher, o'neil and gourley is missing this weekend as he's managing St.Pats dungannon the next day

The 13/10 isnt as big as the 2/1 the bookies offered on galway beating them in Omagh a few weeks ago (they must have took a fair hit at that price) but its still attractive as going strictly on form, Derry would have to be the pick.

Having said all that, there is fierce rivalry between these pair, a spiteful encounter is in store and as tyrone need the points more it could be just the game to see them return to form, but im willing to chance my few bob on Derry.

As already posted on this thread, offaly,tipp and kilkenny on the handicap in the hurling look the best on offer..

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

bula bula wrote: By the way, what do you think about Kilkenny in the football with the handicap?
I think that you might as well be betting on whether the first number to come out of tomorrow night's lotto draw is odd or even. It's random stuff, entirely dictated by the attitude of the two squads and that's not the kind of thing I like to put my money on. On paper at least, Kilkenny are losing every game by an average of over thirty points so I suppose this will be no different, however you never know what factors will be at play in a game like this.

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

INOFFALYIBELIEVE wrote:The 13/10 about Derry to beat Tyrone in Omagh is a tempter too.. Tyrone havent really got going this year, will be a different proposition as the year progresses of course but at the minute they are struggling.

They only managed one point in the second half against Donegal last week and are definitely missing their suspended and injured players , justin & joe mcmahon, mcmenamin, dooher, o'neil and gourley is missing this weekend as he's managing St.Pats dungannon the next day

The 13/10 isnt as big as the 2/1 the bookies offered on galway beating them in Omagh a few weeks ago (they must have took a fair hit at that price) but its still attractive as going strictly on form, Derry would have to be the pick.

Having said all that, there is fierce rivalry between these pair, a spiteful encounter is in store and as tyrone need the points more it could be just the game to see them return to form, but im willing to chance my few bob on Derry.

As already posted on this thread, offaly,tipp and kilkenny on the handicap in the hurling look the best on offer..
I'm pretty much in agreement with this one having seen the teams. I think Derry did a bit of showboating in thesame fixture last year which may come back to haunt them, but right now Tyrone simply aren't at their best and Derry are going really well with a rock solid defence. At midfield they look to have a huge advantage as well.

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

IOIB, (or anyone else who made the trek up to Ballycran last weekend for that matter...)

What would ye make of Down plus ten against Wexford this weekend? Wexford really aren't going well and Offaly obviously had to hurl well to cover that handicap with a bit to spare - is there possibly some value in punting this? Looks a bit chunky to me, I'd have said seven points or so would have been about right in this game.

Edit: I see that Wexford have dropped Diarmuid Lyng and Eoin Quigley for disciplinary reasons this weekend - two of their best players imo. I see Boyles are Down plus eleven, I'm definitely liking this bet.
Last edited by Lone Shark on Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

GOOFY
County player

Post by GOOFY »

Nothing more than a hunch and the fact that Sligo dont seem to travel that well. Ive long thought that Antrim were underrated myself and think they would have too much for Sligo at home, where they appear to be very strong - i agree with the betting, maybe 4/5 Antrim if i were pricing it but i just have the feeling they will have too much for Sligo - there it is then, Sligo win by four :roll:

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

GOOFY wrote:Nothing more than a hunch and the fact that Sligo dont seem to travel that well. Ive long thought that Antrim were underrated myself and think they would have too much for Sligo at home, where they appear to be very strong - i agree with the betting, maybe 4/5 Antrim if i were pricing it but i just have the feeling they will have too much for Sligo - there it is then, Sligo win by four :roll:
If nothing else then, at least go to Ladbrokes - 6/5 Antrim this weekend, best price that I can see. May as well get the best value you can.

GOOFY
County player

Post by GOOFY »

Cheers ls,

Might just throw in tipp-4 for a 3/1 double........... or get incredibly greedy and put in tipp footballers as well - i know how you feel about accums :D

Thanks for the price by the way

INOFFALYIBELIEVE
Junior B

Post by INOFFALYIBELIEVE »

LS, Down +11 wouldnt be a bad bet but i wouldnt be lumping on it, the wind had a big part to play last week, it kept them going in the first half as they were toe to toe with us, but their heads dropped and became indiscplined and the same effort wasnt there when we tipped ahead, Offaly's winning margin could have been greater in the end, ya'd worry for them if wexford went 4 or 5 points up the first half but as you said wexford arent going well at the minute so the boyles +11 is certainly value..

its hard to know how good or bad wexford are at the minute, but going on form i.e losing to Antrim and then Carlow ( a team so poor in o'connor park it was unreal beating Antrim) it certainly wouldnt look good for them

id sooner be putting my faith in tipperary and kilkenny and offaly (hopefully!) to cover a handicap though.