WHAT GOOD LADS HAVE LEFT OFFALY?

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Let the lady speak!
Junior C

WHAT GOOD LADS HAVE LEFT OFFALY?

Post by Let the lady speak! »

and might I add more luck to them, Richie a bad choice from the beginning - we need a manager that can dictate to the players and the county board. God be with the Tommy Lyons days no matter what!!!!!

bracknaghboy
All Star

Re: WHAT GOOD LADS HAVE LEFT OFFALY?

Post by bracknaghboy »

Call me insane if you wish but would there be any chance of ever getting Tommy Lyons again. I'm serious by the way. We are drifting badly at the moment its hard to see stability is going to come from.

Let the lady speak!
Junior C

anyone got tonights evening herald - seemingly article on "walk-out" and the Rhode boys the ring leaders (suppose to be bitter over Stephen Darby not getting the job) ........ and I haven't a clue who else because I haven't seen the paper.

Let the lady speak!
Junior C

Wednesday February 04 2009

THE managerial future of Richie Connor remained shrouded in doubt today after the embattled Offaly football boss met some of his county panel last night.

Only around ten players attended the summit, which had sparked by Monday's dramatic development when ten disenchanted players informed the county board that they were quitting the panel.

The Evening Herald also understands that a majority of the players who had walked out were not in attendance last night. Under-21 players on the senior panel, along with those playing Sigerson football today, were not at the meeting.

Contacted earlier today, Connor reiterated that he would not "stand in the way of Offaly football" if he was the issue - but he was still at a loss to know exactly what the main problem was.

He also called on his entire panel to meet at a group, thrash out the issues and then come back to him.

Offaly chairmain Pat Teehan declined to comment on last night's developments until he had spoken to Connor today.

However, unlike the current Cork hurling crisis, there has been no indication yet that the Offaly footballers are 100pc united against their new boss, who essentially only took charge a month ago after the November/December closed season.

However, the former All-Ireland winning skipper has endured a dismal start to his reign. Offaly were heavily beaten by a third-string Dublin team in the O'Byrne Cup and lost to Carlow in the O'Byrne Shield. The last straw for the disaffected group came with Sunday's crushing nine-point loss away to Roscommon, in their opening NFL Division 3 outing.

Connor claimed that the objections raised by the disaffected players were "very hazy" and that a "lot of stuff" still needs to be addressed after last night's meeting.

"It's arising, I think, from frustration - coming on from last year's championship and then going into this year, starting off with the same results," he told the Evening Herald.

But he stressed that his door was open if players had any grievances and this option was never entertained, "so it just seemed to be a premature action. I am not sure exactly what the issues are. There are all sorts of things being thrown out - tactics, team selection, the availability of (training) pitches."

Connor added: "The players need to meet themselves, throw everything out and then meet me. And after that, it would seem at this stage that if the players don't want to play for me or Offaly, there is very little I can do about it. I am not going to stand in the way of Offaly football if that's the issue."

HANDLES

"I would just like to know the issue -- and if there is somebody else coming in, that there is a procedure set up for disputes that handles it better than this."

Asked about a rumour, published today, that selectors Mark Plunkett and Ollie Daly had resigned, Connor replied: "They would be saying now that if players don't want to play under them, they are not going to stay there. I would basically feel the same, but I want a chance to address some of the issues."

It has been claimed in media reports that players from county champions Rhode have voiced their concern about management, and that they favoured the appointment of former Rhode coach Stephen Darby, who was interviewed for the county job last September.

However, according to an Offaly source, the Rhode players are denying that Darby's non-appointment is an issue.

- Frank Roche

INtheNET
Junior B

dismantle offally football team

Post by INtheNET »

so here we are at the start of a fresh new season...the championship of 09...and where do offaly lie??
1.DO WE HAVE PLAYERS THAT WANT 2 PLAY FOR THE COUNTY
2.CAN WE GET A PROPER MANAGER(that the player like)
3.DO WE HAVE ANYWHERE FOR THEM 2 TRAIN
4.ARE WE GOOD ENOUGH 2 WIN ANYTHING?????????

well my feelings for all the above are a big "NO"its costing way 2 much money 2 get this team up and runing(500,000 a year)
would it not be better not 2 field a team for 2/3 years n get in Tom Coffey n Phill Reilly(the minor coaches 2 years ago n great friends with each other)2 pull together n set r sites for 3/4 years time with a team they no and the players no....

Oskar
Intermediate
Club: Clara

Post by Oskar »

I'm scratching my head trying to remember what good lads are in the Offaly set-up :roll:

Dynamite
Junior A

Re: dismantle offally football team

Post by Dynamite »

INtheNET wrote:would it not be better not 2 field a team for 2/3 years n get in Tom Coffey n Phill Reilly
No.