Offaly Minor Hurling 2024

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
G91
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Re: Offaly Minor Hurling 2024

Post by G91 »

pigeon house biffo wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 12:12 am Appreciate the optimisim

But would we not want to be showing signs of closing the gap to wexford at this age group. A ten point loss to a county we should be setting our targets on at senior level doesn’t really bode well does it, just my thoughts
The way the game went and what the scoreboard showed are two different stories
Offaly didn't hurl very well but left behind an awful lot of ball in crucial areas

They had 2 goal chances they didn't take and throughout the hole game wexford had an extra man think Offaly had played a sweeper

Wexford were just sharper on the ball that made the difference

An example the ball landed around the middle with only one Offaly player and no wexford man near him , couldn't rise the ball first time fumbled it I think wexford won it went on and scored a pint

That happened so many times an offaly ball dropped, missed , fumbled ..

Wexford catching controlling and making runs first time
Last edited by G91 on Sun May 12, 2024 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

G91
All Star

Post by G91 »

Let's actually highlight player welfare here

Young dooley in the midfield came off hopping

Took of his boot his ankle was already strapped instead of making the sensible decision and leave him off they strapped the ankle more and sent him back in he eventually had to come back off

So he obviously wasn't 100% match fit considering he had injured his ankle but surely the second time was enough to call it

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

We have had one very good minor side in 20 years but we feel we should be competing with the top tier teams at this age group every year?

We are unfortunately at the Laois westmeath etc level most years and will continue to do so until things improve in schools clubs etc.

TerraceTalk
Intermediate

Post by TerraceTalk »

Hit the nail on the head there Greenairfield - can’t be patting ourselves on the back too much. Have to keep driving on in the early stages

G91
All Star

Post by G91 »

In all honesty you wouldn't say they were miles of wexford yesterday , were wexford at full tilt I don't thinkso they had a 6 point cushion for a long time and were punishing offaly for being sloppy

Faithfully
Intermediate

Post by Faithfully »

The reality is, whether people like it or not, is than we will be weaker than Galway/Kilkenny/Dublin/Wexford in a given year.

By dint of demographics/playing numbers, this is just fact. Let's take a look then at the next level (Laois, Westmeath, Antrim, Carlow, Kerry and Kildare in recent times at underage level). This group bested Laois, Westmeath and Antrim.

Would they have wanted to be a little bit closer vs Wexford? Sure. But I don't think there was any shame in that performance.

The class of 2005 being so exceptional has perhaps warped our short term expectations at the underage grades. They were excellent minors in 2022 and are on track to give 3 strong years at U20 through 2025. Should we aim to reach provincial finals and bring through strong groups? Of course, but we are not going to have that every year.

As a baseline, having groups each year that are able to beat the second level of opponents and put it up to the likes of Dublin/Wexford should provide us with the trickle of lads that are able to make the step up to the senior grade. This is what is needed, nice and all as it is to have a golden generation that wins multiple Leinsters (Who I am pretty hopeful will backbone our senior team for the next decade).

JimBwobb
All Star

Post by JimBwobb »

Jesus some performance by Tipp in the minor final, even though if it pains me to say it but they have to be commended.

Kk management should be shot from what I seen of the game which was only the extra time period to be fair.

G91
All Star

Post by G91 »

Tipp put some serious pressure on kk , 2 man advantage should be the opposite tale , kk touch and ball control was very bad where tipp was calm cool and collected

Although it would have been some karma to see kk get last gasp winner I'm genuine enough to say no young players should have to go through that heartbreak again

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

G91 wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2024 9:03 pm Tipp put some serious pressure on kk , 2 man advantage should be the opposite tale , kk touch and ball control was very bad where tipp was calm cool and collected

Although it would have been some karma to see kk get last gasp winner I'm genuine enough to say no young players should have to go through that heartbreak again
I only saw a bit of the first half, Tipp had a second player red carded, I thought a little harsh, maybe yellow.
Great for Tipp to win with 13 players.

ah lethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by ah lethimoutwithit »

What was harsh about a shoulder charge to the head in terms of card colour? Yes , he didnt break his jaw is the only mitigation! Maybe you mean the first sending off which was a shocker as linesman pointed it out to ref. And am I right in saying this was the same ref that did last years U20 all ireland?
Savage performance from the Tipp lads, and even though they are only 17 winning a game like that is savage.

From a KK point of view, management is one thing, sendings off at underage , certainly 2 would be highly unusual. But for the players not to create space to punish Tipp, particularly in the second half shows a lack of awareness and possibly skill levels.

Really harsh rule on remaining players on a team to have to play extra time without replacing sent off players in my opinion.

faithfulfanatic
All Star
Club: Coolderry

Post by faithfulfanatic »

ah lethimoutwithit wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 3:22 pm
Really harsh rule on remaining players on a team to have to play extra time without replacing sent off players in my opinion.
I’d imagine you’re in a very small minority who want that rule brought back.

It was a silly rule that was finally replaced this year.