Offaly Under 20s hurling 2024

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Glendassaun
Junior A

Re: Offaly Under 20s hurling 2024

Post by Glendassaun »

Point taken Faithfully.

There’s still so much scope for the expansion of the game through traditional footballing areas to at least offer the possibility of playing both.

All sports science literature points towards a positive correlation between the exposure of kids to multiple sports and their improved motor neurone skills and their development as athletes.

So without a doubt these clubs, even from the perspective of developing overall athletic ability are missing a trick here, perhaps on both sides for that matter.

JohnnyBoy24
County player

Post by JohnnyBoy24 »

Faithfully wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 6:59 pm
Glendassaun wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 6:36 pm

I would say there’s no hurling club in the county that only plays hurling? Yet there’s about 10/12 football clubs that only play football. Something which should come into focus in order to develop hurling further.
In fairness I would have to call out that this is not quite correct.

Of this cohort, I would say there’s a handful of football teams in a given year:

Shinrone
Coolderry
Seir Kieran
Birr
Kinnitty
Drumcullen
Crinkill
Ballyskenach / Killavilla
Lusmagh

B/K entered a Junior C team in football and got to the final which was great for them.

Birr and Kinnitty have on/off entries into lower levels of junior but have often not had teams.

Drumcullen entered Junior C/B for sure in recent years but I don't think so anymore. Crinkill were due to enter Junior C but not sure if that happened.

Lusmagh once again entered their own football team which was great to see. Indeed some of their lads would have been missed by Rynaghs.
Yeah Iv played enough junior b football to know the who's who at those levels 😂

Birr would have been very competitive in the early 2010s in junior a , fell away for a few years. Played in a junior b final a couple of years ago.

Lusmagh won junior and c during the 2010s, then went with ryanaghs I think.

Kinnitty won the junior b not to long ago, and playing them on there pitch in a football match is a place no man with extra timber wants to find himself of a Friday night 😂

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Glendassaun wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 6:08 pm The level of enthusiasm across the county for hurling is at an all time high.

Just passed through the footballing heartlands of Rhode and Croghan, with two lads in their teens carrying hurls over their shoulders, before witnessing three lads of no more than 8/9 in Croghan school out pucking around.

It’d bring a tear to the eye!
I felt a tear on Saturday night, when Offaly won the All Ireland title, with a display full of skill and courage.. Offaly join Cork and Galway as the only counties to have won All Ireland titles at all levels in both counties.
Theatre are a credit to themselves, and their families. Well done Leo O’ Connor and his management team.
I have to say that Brendan Cummins, the losing Tipp manager was gracious in defeat, when it must have been difficult for him and his talented team.

G91
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by G91 »

Tipp got some great scores and full credit to thier reaction afterwards no bitterness

As for premier view on X the least can be said little respect towards offaly in the lead up to the game

faithfulfanatic
All Star
Club: Coolderry

Post by faithfulfanatic »

G91 wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 9:36 pm Tipp got some great scores and full credit to thier reaction afterwards no bitterness

As for premier view on X the least can be said little respect towards offaly in the lead up to the game
They are an absolute disgrace.

I hope everyone has seen Shane Lowry’s comment replying to one of their Instagram posts 😂

JimBwobb
All Star

Post by JimBwobb »

faithfulfanatic wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 11:00 pm
G91 wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 9:36 pm Tipp got some great scores and full credit to thier reaction afterwards no bitterness

I hope everyone has seen Shane Lowry’s comment replying to one of their Instagram posts 😂
What did he say :lol: :lol:

Whoever is behind the page is a sack. They block anyone who says anything back.

faithfulfanatic
All Star

JimBwobb wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 1:03 pm
faithfulfanatic wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 11:00 pm

What did he say :lol: :lol:

Whoever is behind the page is a sack. They block anyone who says anything back.
They had posted a video of their winning goal from 2 years ago, telling the Kilkenny Co. board that this would help avoid Offaly pitch invasion like in O’Moore Park.

Shane replied late Saturday night asking ‘how did that one work out lads’.
It had been up a few days so he must have had it saved ready to go back to 😂

Hasselhoff
All Star

Post by Hasselhoff »

Can anyone screenshot this and post it up please.

faithfulfanatic
All Star

Should be attached here
Attachments
IMG_8658.png
IMG_8658.png (813.17 KiB) Viewed 6999 times

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

They were asking for that!
Beforehand on the premierview forum there was some talk about how Offaly were going to choke, they were going to sicken Duignan and then fuming at how Offaly were getting the media coverage.

However, in the aftermath, there has been dozens of contributors giving fulsome praise to Offaly and not being begrudging about it.
So you'd have to give credit to their sporting response to the defeat.
I guess Offaly and Tipp don't play that often for the same animosity to develop as you'd see with their Munster rivals.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Glendassaun wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 6:20 pm
JohnnyBoy24 wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 6:16 pm
Glendassaun wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 6:08 pm The level of enthusiasm across the county for hurling is at an all time high.

Just passed through the footballing heartlands of Rhode and Croghan, with two lads in their teens carrying hurls over their shoulders, before witnessing three lads of no more than 8/9 in Croghan school out pucking around.

It’d bring a tear to the eye!
Genuine question as i don't know the answer but where does a young fella go to hurl from these parts ? Just thinking of all the football clubs Rhode st brigids Clonmore harps and ballyfore etc. would they all be served by edenderry ?
Traditionally they’d all have hurled with Edenderry. It’s the most established club in the area and great work has been done with underage in the club over the past couple of years which will reap rewards down the line.

Alternatively, I know there is great work also being done in Daingean with underage sides, so that’s another option.

The more the game can be promoted in these areas the better for all in Offaly. We’ve seen what can be done bringing through the likes of the Clara lads and Donal Shirley from Tubber.

There’s no reason why with the right training and dedication lads of this calibre can’t be fostered in the traditional footballing areas as well. As a small county we need to max out our playing populations.
That is true Glendossaun. Good to see players from Durrow, Clara and Tubber on the 2024 U20 winners.

llkj
All Star

Post by llkj »

Could someone help clarify the rule around playing Under 20 players if the county is in Leinster/Liam McCarthy championship next year please?

If Offaly win this weekend, is it that once a player plays in the senior championship next year they are not able to play U20 in the same year? or is there some other caveat to the rule (like within a certain number of days of playing, etc)

Does league come in to it at all?

Faithfully
Intermediate

Post by Faithfully »

60 hour gap required between games. That's it.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Fixtures will be done to make sure there no clash

dubbiff
Intermediate

Post by dubbiff »

In a week where there was a huge amount of sport including international soccer and Munster rugby Dan Bourke gets named Irish Independent sports star of the week. Massive recognition for an amazing performance