Offaly Senior Footballers 2024

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
ruletheroost
Senior

Re: Offaly Senior Footballers 2024

Post by ruletheroost »

How can we go from a kick of a ball away from a Leinster final to finishing rock bottom of the 16 teams in the Tailteann cup in 12 months 😖.. Demoralising

G91
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by G91 »

It's actually disappointing to see how low we can become as a county , on one side we have great pride in the Under 20s

On the other we try fuck everyone involved with football under the bus

We were only in contention thanks to other results last year in the league not our own showing don't be fooled

If we bet louth that would have been a steal and undeserving everyone should know that

Again most wanted DK to progress ri senoir there was some disappointment when he took his hat from the ring

Football needs a massive boost simple as dk is not to blame for anything he's setting a team of young players

Stick with him

Mick d .. the lads who are complaining should never follow offaly again the man can do no right In some eyes he actually spent his entire time praising everyone today

A day for another thread but seriously have some cop on and common sense

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

i kept my powder dry til now on here, i did relate to this on the separate Declan Kelly post (which by the way i don't like the personalisation of the matter by allowing naming a post so personal - regulator again surely?)..anyway our chairman (whom i respect by the way) jumped in after the div 3
clare football league collapse...and told us most of us were never in a dressing room etc. etc. and all the work that was going on etc (I was in intercounty dressing room once upon a time before anyone jumps in)..fair dues..he was correct to defend the footballers..it was a cruel defeat that day...problem is...he has gone missing football wise since..he is flat out hurling weekends with his punditry..yes he for sure has a living to make same as us all..someone said here a while back he has a job the same as anyone else (paraphrased)..he has..but County chairmen (or persons) in the norm will not be 'ordinary Joe soaps' and won't be unavailable for big games or working as pundits or commentators etc..they wont be in 'ordinary' jobs
if ya get my drift suggesting they are otherwise is not true..nothing wrong with any job let me say..every one has an important role in society..we all lean on each other.. you dont climb those high profile heights though in ordinary people circles....saying we all can is kidding yourself..no need to expand most will know whats meant.. anyway..the U20 hurling final..great to see him at the game (this was a football weekend at senior level) but i think he over did the 'camera' abit..he was shaking his arms now it was abit much...lll say no more..itwas abit cringy in the end...i get it, he is very invested in all this, he's young enough as the profile of county chairmen go..he has Tipp blood, absolutely nothing wrong with that..but lock stock and barrell to the hurling last 24 hours..he is Gaa chairman not Hurling only.. home coming at 12 noon in OCP..and footballers playing away at 1.45..surely some thought or respect had to be shown to the senior footballers regardless if it was a dead rubber game...I like him as a person and Gaa man...he just needs to be abit cleverer if you could call it that...10/10 u20s yesterday..super proud and delighted..

joey1001
All Star

Post by joey1001 »

ruletheroost wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 7:20 pm How can we go from a kick of a ball away from a Leinster final to finishing rock bottom of the 16 teams in the Tailteann cup in 12 months 😖.. Demoralising
You lost all credibility when you said you were talking to a lomans player.. conveniently after a comment about no problems with lomans or Vincents you decides to bring that up! We get you don't want DK in charge but you're an ass for lying!! Had you mentioned you're "conversation" with this lomans player before someone said there was no problems then we might have believed you! Why would you wait to bring it up? I started secondary school in 1999 with one of the lomans players and spoke to him and his wife on Friday and they thought he was great and lads in lomans liked him! I started college with a lomans player September 2004 and I chatted him recently and he tells a very different story than the shit you are soreadin!! I get you want DK out but at least be fuckin honest about it and stop spreading bullshit here!!

Superhans75
All Star
Club: Birr

Post by Superhans75 »

Was at the Antrim London game on Sunday
A delight too watch
London unlucky ( the ref didn't want an English team in the quarter final it happens)
Talking to some of the London players
I asked what did the think of the Offaly squad
To a man they said the opinion they got
Talking to the players
Was a bit of aloofness but also they were
Very unhappy. About the situation there in .
That is there opinion not mine
Great day as ever Antrim gaa are credit to
Association
Mind you a few quid from Charles does help the situation.lol
Enjoy the summer roll on January 2025

del
County player

Post by del »

It appears from the what the county board are putting out there that they are backing the current manager and both the county board and the manager are putting the blame on the performances this year on the older members of the panel. These guys who live bread eat football are been thrown under a bus . I’d love to know where all these footballers are gonna come from because even the younger players are sick of it too 2 have already left during the year and couple more defo ain’t going back
We are in serious bother and quiet clearly the county board don’t care about football football in in the county is been destroyed and the sooner clubs take a stand the better
Michael Duignan will be remembered for a lot of good things but letting a manager off Scott free and backing him for the debacle that was the current year is unforgivable.
There is no defending losing to London by a cricket score The manager has to go simple as. Get good positive people involved and players will row in behind them

pigeon house biffo
All Star
Club: Rynagh

Post by pigeon house biffo »

del wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 10:34 am It appears from the what the county board are putting out there that they are backing the current manager and both the county board and the manager are putting the blame on the performances this year on the older members of the panel. These guys who live bread eat football are been thrown under a bus . I’d love to know where all these footballers are gonna come from because even the younger players are sick of it too 2 have already left during the year and couple more defo ain’t going back
We are in serious bother and quiet clearly the county board don’t care about football football in in the county is been destroyed and the sooner clubs take a stand the better
Michael Duignan will be remembered for a lot of good things but letting a manager off Scott free and backing him for the debacle that was the current year is unforgivable.
There is no defending losing to London by a cricket score The manager has to go simple as. Get good positive people involved and players will row in behind them

What is it that they have put out there? Not read , heard or seen anything?

Do you mean the lack of communication suggests they are sticking with the status quo?

Behindthegoal
Intermediate
Club: Ballinagar

Post by Behindthegoal »

The county board can back him all they want the reality is when he goes ringing lads in October he won’t get 20 to agree to come in and play and from talking to players that’s a fact, so exactly what a previous poster said if he’s left in charge they are clearly happy to see football decline in the county

Superhans75
All Star
Club: Birr

Post by Superhans75 »

He has to go simple
But the people that are backing him have to go as well.
You don't leave rotten fruit hanging on the tree ..
I suppose the county board will be happy with
The money from the Kildare loais
game .
££££££👀👀👀👀👀.

ruletheroost
Senior

Post by ruletheroost »

Be interesting to see how this plays out. He’s definitely planning on staying on. Whether he has the players or not is another question. Lots of disgruntled players and not just the older ones.

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

The last thread on this got very toxic and was rightly taken down. I hope this thread steers clear of such toxicity and remains fair and balanced.

There is no doubt there were issues between players and management. The question is if the player management relatioship is too far gone. Only those involved will know the level of that. Some pitch it as issues with Declan Kelly but there is more to management team than Declan Kelly and elements may be helped with changes in backroom team if that is what players seek.

All I'd say is if many senior players decide not to go back in as is being touted, then have we a team to be competitive next year? I don't know answer to that but I'd somehow doubt it. If it's the case and we put ourselves in danger of going backwards, then Co board have to weigh it up and decide to stick or twist. They need to sit down with management and players and figure out the level of issues if they are to be resolved.or otherwise.

This year was a poor year there's no doubt. A 14 pt defeat to London in championship is simply not acceptable and following it with 8pt defeat to 4th div Limerick team is also not acceptable. At that stage there was clearly a fractured relationship between players and management and there is likely appetite for change among some players. The question is the volume of this group and how good or bad the relationship is. If it is somewhat retrievable, I'd say management will remain with big changes in player personnel next year. If not, via a player representative, the players need to be represented in process of next manager selection so that this type of dynamic does not surface again. As poster above said, will be interesting to see how it plays out.
jimbob

ruletheroost
Senior

Post by ruletheroost »

jimbob17 wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 9:59 am The last thread on this got very toxic and was rightly taken down. I hope this thread steers clear of such toxicity and remains fair and balanced.

There is no doubt there were issues between players and management. The question is if the player management relatioship is too far gone. Only those involved will know the level of that. Some pitch it as issues with Declan Kelly but there is more to management team than Declan Kelly and elements may be helped with changes in backroom team if that is what players seek.

All I'd say is if many senior players decide not to go back in as is being touted, then have we a team to be competitive next year? I don't know answer to that but I'd somehow doubt it. If it's the case and we put ourselves in danger of going backwards, then Co board have to weigh it up and decide to stick or twist. They need to sit down with management and players and figure out the level of issues if they are to be resolved.or otherwise.

This year was a poor year there's no doubt. A 14 pt defeat to London in championship is simply not acceptable and following it with 8pt defeat to 4th div Limerick team is also not acceptable. At that stage there was clearly a fractured relationship between players and management and there is likely appetite for change among some players. The question is the volume of this group and how good or bad the relationship is. If it is somewhat retrievable, I'd say management will remain with big changes in player personnel next year. If not, via a player representative, the players need to be represented in process of next manager selection so that this type of dynamic does not surface again. As poster above said, will be interesting to see how it plays out.
If even a small number of the established players go and some fringe players that got very little to no game time this year don't return, I don't know where the players are going to come from. It's worrying to see 2 guys that were at the heart of the u20 success walk away. It's not like the u20s from this year have 5 or 6 that could come in.

Our biggest issue ths year has been conceding large scores. We have some very good backs but we aren't making defending a priority. It's all very well defenders getting up the field and scoring like in the Down game. (David Dempsey 0-1, John Furlong 1-0, Daire McDaid 1-1, and Cormac Egan 1-0) Cormac had been moved into the forwards at the time he got the goal but you get the jist. We can't afford to do that while conceding 2-22 at the other end. A decent hurling score that would be.

ah lethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by ah lethimoutwithit »

Ruletheroost is off again when things were getting a little quite in this.

Pure toxic stuff posted here in general on this topic. Sure things finished up poorly, but most rationale GAA people are of the mindset that the year wasn't bad and surviving Div 3 and beating Laois were key objectives.
as regards our defending, you are cherry picking the results at the end of the season. League, we didn't concede heavily.

Personally, I think a few players need to have a look at themselves and the lads that walked away are not guaranteed anything just based on having a part to play in U20 team.

I'm sure there are discussions to be had ahead of next season, but we have to have a bit of patience here and a bit of perspective.

Anonymous1
All Star

Post by Anonymous1 »

ah lethimoutwithit wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 4:52 pm Ruletheroost is off again when things were getting a little quite in this.

Pure toxic stuff posted here in general on this topic. Sure things finished up poorly, but most rationale GAA people are of the mindset that the year wasn't bad and surviving Div 3 and beating Laois were key objectives.
as regards our defending, you are cherry picking the results at the end of the season. League, we didn't concede heavily.

Personally, I think a few players need to have a look at themselves and the lads that walked away are not guaranteed anything just based on having a part to play in U20 team.

I'm sure there are discussions to be had ahead of next season, but we have to have a bit of patience here and a bit of perspective.
“most rationale GAA people are of the mindset that the year wasn't bad”

Really? I’ve yet to meet anybody who doesn’t believe this was a horrendously bad year.

ruletheroost
Senior

Post by ruletheroost »

ah lethimoutwithit wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 4:52 pm Ruletheroost is off again when things were getting a little quite in this.

There’s nothing toxic in anything I said in that post. And anyone that thinks this wasn’t a bad year has something wrong with them. Tell me a worse year in the last 25 years?
London by 14 is enough to make it possibly the worst year ever.