GAA coverage

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
ah lethimoutwithit
All Star

GAA coverage

Post by ah lethimoutwithit »

https://www.rte.ie/sport/hurling/2023/0 ... nday-game/

Yawn, "We're so great" in RTE. Pure cringe stuff to be honest.

Word of advice to RTE, don't bother yer holes with the Sunday Game, so pretentious and light touch.
Joe McDonagh, no clip from Carlow v Kildare, 2 mins if even from OY v LS, and nothing I think from the Down v KY game. Not interested in lipservice anymore. Pointless exercise.

A side clip on the Sunday Indo....GAA has zero profile for these players and counties and the same for the Football championship kick off.

All the rumpus when Sky came in, "Ah me 85 year old father won't be able to see Offaly playing on the telly"....newsflash, he definitely won't now.

Matches through some medium should be capable of being shown retrospectively, and charge a fee for them, But anyway rant over.

Tmacmahon
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Re: GAA coverage

Post by Tmacmahon »

Brilliant coverage and analysis on the Sunday game evening show and indeed the live game Roscommon and mayo .
The pundits I felt upped their game and overall production was good. Poor camera in New York a obvious negative but that didn’t hinder my experience.
Not perfect but never will be.
Never going to please everyone .

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

hard to imagine how in 1980s when the country was in recession and I assume RTE were affected too, we had a Monday game, and we would be shown decent highlights of all the other games not covered on Sunday night, live Sunday game should not affect making and showing a Monday Game like the 1980s..highlights on Sunday night were woeful once the big games were out of the way, no camera showing the teams warming up anymore, saying such and such is replaced XY or Z..game cuts in now about 5 minutes in, mainly with a few scores on the board, the teams flash up at lightening speed on the bottom of the screen, dont take 2 or your finished..its all talk talk talk now about systems and results..the game itself is almost a side show...best we have but poor in my view..lesser teams arent getting a look in in either codes...

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

Fairplayalways wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 4:16 pm hard to imagine how in 1980s when the country was in recession and I assume RTE were affected too, yer we had a Monday game, and we would be shown decent highlights of all the other games not covered on Sunday night, live Sunday game should not affect making and showing a Monday Game like the 1980s..highlights on Sunday night are woeful once the big games are out of the way, no camera showing the teams warming up anymore, or commentators introducing the venue saying G when last time team X won there etc, or saying such and such is replaced XY or Z..a scroll now draws accross the screen and immediately the game cuts in now about 5 minutes in, mainly with a few scores on the board, the teams flash up at lightening speed on the bottom of the screen to add to the rush - dont take 2 on any name or your finished..after the rushed coverage is complete its all talk talk talk now about systems and results..the game itself is almost a side show...best we have but poor in my view..lesser teams arent getting a look in in either codes..this ould lark people won't watch a Monday Night game I don't buy.. Some interesting games outside the bill board ones too..

JimBwobb
All Star

Post by JimBwobb »

I think the GAA are missing a huge opportunity to promote the game further.

I believe their should be a midweek GAA show which features more game footage from the likes of the Joe Mc Donagh, Christy Ring, Tailteann cup etc.

In addition to this, have light hearted interviews with players as it will give exposure to the lesser known counties and also established counties.

With helmets on its near impossible without actually knowing the well known hurlers unless you actually know them.

TG4 do a phenomenal job promoting underage games on their YouTube Page, think they would do a brilliant job.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

A great reply there, indeed, RTE are penny wise and pound foolish as the ould saying goes..

JimBwobb
All Star

Post by JimBwobb »

Tg4 coming up trumps for anyone that didn't make it last night, they do some job promoting underage hurling in this country. A credit to themselves :)