U20 hurlers 23

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Anonymous1
All Star

Re: U20 hurlers 23

Post by Anonymous1 »

first_touch wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 11:14 pm
private joker wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 6:43 pm Very unfair on lads doing leaving. Can't enjoy victory after or get over defeat. Player welfare obviously not being considered. Leaving cert most important exam these lads will do.
I totally agree. Surely the Offaly county board won't accept this? While it gives the team an extra week to prepare for the final it puts severe pressure on lads sitting the Leaving Cert. The welfare of these lads is paramount.
Offaly have requested it be moved to the weekend of June 3rd/4th, probably hoping it would be granted on the 3rd but Cork won’t accept that as Downey would miss out so it’ll be up to the CCCC whether or not to go ahead with it on the 4th despite guaranteed backlash over it being a couple of days before the leaving cert.

chimbonda
County player

Post by chimbonda »

Anything to be read into eoin downey not starting for cork om sunday?

G91
County player
Club: Ferbane

Post by G91 »

chimbonda wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 10:24 am Anything to be read into eoin downey not starting for cork om sunday?
Hardly pm the presumption that the under 20 will go ahead and they will only use him if needed

The Biff
All Star

Post by The Biff »

Double Header not happening.

U20 Final fixed for Thurles on Sunday 4th June at 3 pm, following a Minor game that might also include Cork.
JMD Final v Carlow is on Saturday 27th May at 4:45 pm in Croke Park.
Peter Parker: I missed the part where that's MY problem.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Pity that Offaly hit the panic button on this one instead of playing smart.
They could have dragged Cork away from their hinterland and possibly nobbled one of their players.

first_touch
All Star

Post by first_touch »

Any advantage gained in terms of additional time to prepare for the game and allowing Charlie Mitchell to play in both finals is more than nullified by the fact that there will be a much bigger Cork support and the inclusion of Eoin Downey in the Cork line-up.

But a much greater issue is that guys are playing an All Ireland final just three days before they begin their Leaving Cert. I can't understand why Offaly County Board didn't consider this when looking for a deferral.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

While Offaly seniors are boosted by getting Mitchell back, Croke Park will now have about 7 or 8,000 people in it for the McDonagh final instead of about 25,000, heavily skewed Offaly's way.

Anyway, what's done is done. Carlow can't claim any disrespect from Offaly when we've gone to such lengths the take their threat very seriously.

offalyman
Senior

Post by offalyman »

We Shot our selves in the foot with this one. Instead of having about 20,000 Offaly fans in croke park next weekend roaring on our seniors,They'll be lucky to get 2000 up there. Croke park will be a disaster for that game now, they’ll be no atmosphere an glorified challenge game is what it will turn into, and we’ve gave the advantage to Carlow regardless of the availability of charlie Mitchell and the few panel members.
We’ve also given Cork a boost moving the game to thurles. They’ll bring a far bigger crowd to the game now and w’ll have Downey available back from the seniors.

Pure ridiculous decision jumped the gun without even thinking

first_touch
All Star

Post by first_touch »

offalyman wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 1:22 pm We Shot our selves in the foot with this one. Instead of having about 20,000 Offaly fans in croke park next weekend roaring on our seniors,They'll be lucky to get 2000 up there. Croke park will be a disaster for that game now, they’ll be no atmosphere an glorified challenge game is what it will turn into, and we’ve gave the advantage to Carlow regardless of the availability of charlie Mitchell and the few panel members.
We’ve also given Cork a boost moving the game to thurles. They’ll bring a far bigger crowd to the game now and w’ll have Downey available back from the seniors.

Pure ridiculous decision jumped the gun without even thinking
Exactly. There's also the risk of Charlie Mitchell picking up an injury in the senior game. He's a key player for us in the Under 20s.

Anyway the decision is made and best of luck to both Offaly teams.

G91
County player
Club: Ferbane

Post by G91 »

Absolutely ridiculous and backwards thinking are we that bad at senior we can't afford to loose 1 player , all the talk about Liam Mccarthy and div1 the first sign of a player caught between 2 teams and offaly board shit thier trousers all the bragging going on about Micheal digan , Absolutely madness croke park will be dead and a late throw in will put a few people off going

Anonymous1
All Star

Post by Anonymous1 »

I get the sense I’m in the minority here but I fully agree with decoupling the U20 final from the Joe Mcdonagh. I’ve already outlined why yesterday but just to summarise; It allows Mitchell to play in both games, it allows Rigney and Miller time to recover from their injuries and gives Screeney and Kavanagh an extra weeks rest off the back of their own injuries but aside from all of that it prevents a situation where one team loses in the first game and takes the air out of the stadium leading to a knock on effect for the second team or potentially trying to organise a celebration for one team as champions while the other team will be in mourning.

The suggestion here that we need 20,000 fans to beat Carlow in the Joe McDonagh is ridiculous. The seniors have been playing to small crowds all year from Ballycran to Hawkfield, if anything a massive crowd could throw our lads off, if we’re good enough to beat Carlow then we’ll beat them, we’ll still outnumber the Carlow fans in Croker.

The minors beat Clare last year in Thurles so it won’t faze any of them and I actually think we’ll get a bigger crowd in Thurles on a Sunday than we would’ve got in Croker on a Saturday. Anybody who wants to go see Offaly in an All Ireland final isn’t going to be put off by the fact the Joe Mcdonagh isn’t also on, the diehards will be at both and if we’re being honest a lot of the bandwagon crowd wouldn’t even know what the Joe Mcdonagh is. Thurles is also a shorter drive and doesn’t put off those who don’t like travelling into cities.

Oh and let’s all collectively put our biases to one side and cheer on the tribesmen in the minor semi so we won’t get a cork double header!

timber
All Star

Post by timber »

For me, the weekend before the leaving cert should have been straight up non runner for Offaly and refuse to play it. You cannot expect lads doing leaving cert to be preparing for the biggest game they have ever played in to be 3 days before starting their exams. We talk about player welfare and all that but this is ridiculous. You talk about stress. This is stupidity. Whatever about anything else, Sunday 4th was the worst possible outcome of this from an Offaly perspective as obviously we have a younger team and are more affected by leaving cert unfortunately. It is an issue, that should not be taken too lightly.

Downey is available for Cork now also but I reckon he would have been regardless. Ben O' Connor has been pretty vocal about that issue and would of made sure he had him. He said in interview after munster final that Downey was "being punished for being good. He's too good by the way playing with the 20s so he'll play with senior. If your too good at something". So thats how good they see him.

Kemo Sabe
All Star

Post by Kemo Sabe »

Jesus there is some amount of moaners on here,
We are in 2 finals and All some people do is moan,
Let's just get behind both teams,no matter where The game is being played,
great history hoping for a better future

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

I dont think where is a real issue, when is definitely a huge issue.

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

Given our group is so young, there has to be at least 10 of panel due to sit leaving cert. I'd imagine there are a number of parents annoyed at movement of u20 to 4th of June, especially those whose sons are to sit Leaving cert. Just was this even considered when looking to have game moved.

It is quite unfair on these players and goes against player welfare in my opinion, given the emotional and time investment that will be involved for players. The GAA are not at fault here I'd imagine as it is probably what both Cork and Offaly requested. It'd have been no harm to leave u20 back until end of June / early July when nobody would have been affected by leaving cert exams.

There are often unintended consequences to such decisions and if opposite was done and staus quo remained, people would be on here complaining about one of teams being short of Mitchell. Either way, fixture stands now and all must just get on with it and managing leaving cert prep as best as they can.
jimbob