U20 hurlers 23

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Anonymous1
All Star

Re: U20 hurlers 23

Post by Anonymous1 »

timber wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 2:30 pm For me, the weekend before the leaving cert should have been straight up non runner for Offaly and refuse to play it. You cannot expect lads doing leaving cert to be preparing for the biggest game they have ever played in to be 3 days before starting their exams. We talk about player welfare and all that but this is ridiculous. You talk about stress. This is stupidity. Whatever about anything else, Sunday 4th was the worst possible outcome of this from an Offaly perspective as obviously we have a younger team and are more affected by leaving cert unfortunately. It is an issue, that should not be taken too lightly.

Downey is available for Cork now also but I reckon he would have been regardless. Ben O' Connor has been pretty vocal about that issue and would of made sure he had him. He said in interview after munster final that Downey was "being punished for being good. He's too good by the way playing with the 20s so he'll play with senior. If your too good at something". So thats how good they see him.
The thing is, it was Offaly who requested it be moved to June 3rd/4th so they were obviously ok with it.

Good point re Downey, Cork would’ve left him out of the senior team this Sunday if the U20 final was next Saturday so the argument that moving the U20 final back a week benefits Cork because Downey can now play is bogus.

faithfulfanatic
All Star
Club: Coolderry

Post by faithfulfanatic »

I feel the same people who are giving out about the games being separated would be the first to moan if they were on together with Mitchell and the 2 managements facing a dilemma.

If the fixture had been left where it was, we could have looked rightly stupid with Mitchell not playing in one of the games and Cork might have saved Downey to play in it.

Get out and support our 2 teams and ensure these 20s, whatever the result, have a chance to progress to a Liam McCarthy squad for next year.

G91
County player
Club: Ferbane

Post by G91 »

For me it's not really about the games being moved I'm more concerned that there's an attitude that offaly are in trouble without Mitchell and don't get me wrong he's brilliant but surely we have another player that can do a job maybe not as good sure but why is the narrative all about missing Mitchel and not similar to the senior vs carlow we have players that are carrying a few niggling injuries that need a week or two witch there is ?

faithfulfanatic
All Star
Club: Coolderry

Post by faithfulfanatic »

G91 wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 5:35 pm For me it's not really about the games being moved I'm more concerned that there's an attitude that offaly are in trouble without Mitchell and don't get me wrong he's brilliant but surely we have another player that can do a job maybe not as good sure but why is the narrative all about missing Mitchel and not similar to the senior vs carlow we have players that are carrying a few niggling injuries that need a week or two witch there is ?
If we went ahead without Mitchell, everyone would say that Offaly are taking Carlow for granted.

Why would anyone want to play an all ireland without a full strength squad available?

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Anonymous1 wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 4:23 pm
timber wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 2:30 pm For me, the weekend before the leaving cert should have been straight up non runner for Offaly and refuse to play it. You cannot expect lads doing leaving cert to be preparing for the biggest game they have ever played in to be 3 days before starting their exams. We talk about player welfare and all that but this is ridiculous. You talk about stress. This is stupidity. Whatever about anything else, Sunday 4th was the worst possible outcome of this from an Offaly perspective as obviously we have a younger team and are more affected by leaving cert unfortunately. It is an issue, that should not be taken too lightly.

Downey is available for Cork now also but I reckon he would have been regardless. Ben O' Connor has been pretty vocal about that issue and would of made sure he had him. He said in interview after munster final that Downey was "being punished for being good. He's too good by the way playing with the 20s so he'll play with senior. If your too good at something". So thats how good they see him.
The thing is, it was Offaly who requested it be moved to June 3rd/4th so they were obviously ok with it.

Good point re Downey, Cork would’ve left him out of the senior team this Sunday if the U20 final was next Saturday so the argument that moving the U20 final back a week benefits Cork because Downey can now play is bogus.
I don't think Cork would've have left him off to play. He didn't play in munster final did he? Limerick played all ireland final last year without a senior panel member.

Anonymous1
All Star

Post by Anonymous1 »

private joker wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 6:30 pm
Anonymous1 wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 4:23 pm

I don't think Cork would've have left him off to play. He didn't play in munster final did he? Limerick played all ireland final last year without a senior panel member.
He’s not named to start on Sunday. https://gaacork.ie/2023/05/18/the-cork- ... announced/

Anonymous1
All Star

Post by Anonymous1 »

Anonymous1 wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 2:15 pm I get the sense I’m in the minority here but I fully agree with decoupling the U20 final from the Joe Mcdonagh. I’ve already outlined why yesterday but just to summarise; It allows Mitchell to play in both games, it allows Rigney and Miller time to recover from their injuries and gives Screeney and Kavanagh an extra weeks rest off the back of their own injuries but aside from all of that it prevents a situation where one team loses in the first game and takes the air out of the stadium leading to a knock on effect for the second team or potentially trying to organise a celebration for one team as champions while the other team will be in mourning.

The suggestion here that we need 20,000 fans to beat Carlow in the Joe McDonagh is ridiculous. The seniors have been playing to small crowds all year from Ballycran to Hawkfield, if anything a massive crowd could throw our lads off, if we’re good enough to beat Carlow then we’ll beat them, we’ll still outnumber the Carlow fans in Croker.

The minors beat Clare last year in Thurles so it won’t faze any of them and I actually think we’ll get a bigger crowd in Thurles on a Sunday than we would’ve got in Croker on a Saturday. Anybody who wants to go see Offaly in an All Ireland final isn’t going to be put off by the fact the Joe Mcdonagh isn’t also on, the diehards will be at both and if we’re being honest a lot of the bandwagon crowd wouldn’t even know what the Joe Mcdonagh is. Thurles is also a shorter drive and doesn’t put off those who don’t like travelling into cities.

Oh and let’s all collectively put our biases to one side and cheer on the tribesmen in the minor semi so we won’t get a cork double header!
The tribesmen duly obliged, no Cork double header. Another one of the reasons people were using not to move the U20 final can be scratched off.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

Any idea when tickets are going on sale?

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Supposed to be later today.
Just beware that so far I don't see a separate U20 listing on the GAA site.
There is a listing for the All Ireland minor match that's the undercard.

https://am.ticketmaster.com/gaa/minorhurlingai

G91
County player

Post by G91 »

3pm still no sign of an update

G91
County player

Post by G91 »

10am tomorrow

Hasselhoff
All Star

Post by Hasselhoff »

How much will the tickets be?

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Tickets are €25 for adults and €5 for kids.
Just grabbed mine for ARDAN O RIAIN - The New Stand (It was new in 1984).

Anonymous1
All Star

Post by Anonymous1 »

Also went with the Ardan O Riain, link is here https://www.ticketmaster.ie/event/18005EB6B1AA818D

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

got some online just after 10am for some of my family, €20 for students and €25 for adults not too bad at all. Great 2 weekends for Offaly hurling ahead, lets make the most of them. Just one little thing I didnt like about the U20 set up with no All Ireland semifinals due to the structure, no doubt the powers that be are delighted they havent to fit in another 2 fixtures is a ferociously packed schedule, we will take our final appearance with Cork nonetheless..Wishing both teams the very best, starting with Seniors this weekend..