NFL Div 3 predictions 2023

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Fairplayalways
All Star

Re: NFL Div 3 predictions 2023

Post by Fairplayalways »

The family won't be welded to Uibh Fhaili.com wondering what people are thinking about the game being played or not, it's not the issue by saying its a matter for the panel, county board and family want/don't mind the game been played, whether it's 6 clock or 2 O'clock the throw in is. If those concerned did meet and agreed to play that's fine, just I didn't hear that actually said until up above and didn't hear it in any sports news bulletins or on any national media. Is it right to play the game 48 hours after the funeral, mmm I don't think so and many agree. It's absolutely no disrespect to the great man or his family discussing the game being played, that's what's being discussed in the circumstances, I hope the Co. Board did not lean on those involved to play the game, as I said I heard no national media or local saying about any meeting or other taking place and agreeing to proceed, I won't prolong the issue but Gobsmacked that it's going ahead, its unbelievable to be honest..

Anonymous1
All Star

Post by Anonymous1 »

Fairplayalways wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:20 pm The family won't be welded to Uibh Fhaili.com wondering what people are thinking about the game being played or not, it's not the issue by saying its a matter for the panel, county board and family want/don't mind the game been played, whether it's 6 clock or 2 O'clock the throw in is. If those concerned did meet and agreed to play that's fine, just I didn't hear that actually said until up above and didn't hear it in any sports news bulletins or on any national media. Is it right to play the game 48 hours after the funeral, mmm I don't think so and many agree. It's absolutely no disrespect to the great man or his family discussing the game being played, that's what's being discussed in the circumstances, I hope the Co. Board did not lean on those involved to play the game, as I said I heard no national media or local saying about any meeting or other taking place and agreeing to proceed, I won't prolong the issue but Gobsmacked that it's going ahead, its unbelievable to be honest..
Reported here https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/gaa/ga ... d-29450531

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

A red top tabloid wouldn't be on my media list to be honest but thanks for that all the same.

ditchhurler
Intermediate

Post by ditchhurler »

So you wouldn’t trust a journalist who’s from Tullamore who’s close to several players and management. Would you rather it came from Martin Breheny or Colm Keyes who probably couldn’t name one offaly player without looking it up?

Anonymous1
All Star

Post by Anonymous1 »

Fairplayalways wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:57 pm A red top tabloid wouldn't be on my media list to be honest but thanks for that all the same.
So you wrote a big spiel about your thoughts on why the game shouldn’t go ahead and disregarded what I’d said because you “hadn’t seen it reported in any national media” then when confronted with it being reported in the national media, you try to cast doubt on it because it’s a tabloid so are you saying you’ll only ever believe a story if it’s in the Independent, Times or Examiner because if so you’d be waiting a very long time for an update on the comings and goings of Offaly GAA

Just to put a bow on this, it’s also been reported in the Offaly Express https://www.offalyexpress.ie/news/gaa/1 ... field.html

ah lethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by ah lethimoutwithit »

Anonymous1 wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:26 am
Fairplayalways wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:57 pm A red top tabloid wouldn't be on my media list to be honest but thanks for that all the same.
So you wrote a big spiel about your thoughts on why the game shouldn’t go ahead and disregarded what I’d said because you “hadn’t seen it reported in any national media” then when confronted with it being reported in the national media, you try to cast doubt on it because it’s a tabloid so are you saying you’ll only ever believe a story if it’s in the Independent, Times or Examiner because if so you’d be waiting a very long time for an update on the comings and goings of Offaly GAA

Just to put a bow on this, it’s also been reported in the Offaly Express https://www.offalyexpress.ie/news/gaa/1 ... field.html
People who do the doing get on with things, and generally get on with trying to do the right thing, not the wrong thing, (ie players, coaches, Co Board mgt etc), and I'll try do what I think is the right thing and go support Offaly. Let's leave it at that.
And I might treat meself to a pint and grub and cast a sneaky eye to the rugby after the match...hardly make it back to Birr in time for 5pm.

Superhans75
All Star
Club: Birr

Post by Superhans75 »

Why are people arguing about which paper is Which.
A man has died there should be respect and let the family grieve.
In my opinion the game should have been postponed
Or are the gaa having a little bit of kick at the rugby
Crowd .?

Anonymous1
All Star

Post by Anonymous1 »

Superhans75 wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:45 am Why are people arguing about which paper is Which.
A man has died there should be respect and let the family grieve.
In my opinion the game should have been postponed
Or are the gaa having a little bit of kick at the rugby
Crowd .?
I’m not arguing about which paper is which. There seems to be a suggestion here that the Offaly County Board didn’t want to ruffle the GAA’s feathers by seeking to postpone the game and I’m just pointing out that this is completely false. The players, management and board met on Monday night and agreed to play the game, I don’t understand why this is being denied?

Also, how would the game being moved back to 2pm = a kick at the rugby crowd? If anything, it allows people to watch both.

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

It is down to the players and all involved, maybe they want to honour Liam by playing the game and I am sure both Tipp and Offaly will pay a fitting tribute before and after the game.
You can have an opinion on whether or not the game should be played but unless you know exactly what is going on within the set up there’s no point arguing over the matter.
I am happy for the game to be played, Liam was great football man, may he rest in peace.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

The anoraks are out putting their life and limb on the line defending the Co. Board whom amazingly they seem to know what decisions are made etc. I won't waste my time countering, there is no point, thankfully while I follow Gaa I don't know or particularly care where journalists are from, I just said red tops are not a source I go to for information, ime more current affairs of serious type myself and not into tabloid headlines, that's simply why I don't buy into those type of papers..personally I don't care if the game goes ahead or not in reality, I have more to worry about, I was merely pointing out my surprise that the game was going ahead, if it does it does, I won't worry too much about it and no one else should either, the sun will still rise on Sunday morning, win lose or draw..no need to personalise the issue..goodbye all and thanks.

Anonymous1
All Star

Post by Anonymous1 »

Fairplayalways wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 5:38 pm The anoraks are out putting their life and limb on the line defending the Co. Board whom amazingly they seem to know what decisions are made etc. I won't waste my time countering, there is no point, thankfully while I follow Gaa I don't know or particularly care where journalists are from, I just said red tops are not a source I go to for information, ime more current affairs of serious type myself and not into tabloid headlines, that's simply why I don't buy into those type of papers..personally I don't care if the game goes ahead or not in reality, I have more to worry about, I was merely pointing out my surprise that the game was going ahead, if it does it does, I won't worry too much about it and no one else should either, the sun will still rise on Sunday morning, win lose or draw..no need to personalise the issue..goodbye all and thanks.
I’m certainly no defender of the county board and am the first to criticise them if they deserve it but I just don’t understand what you’re arguing about here, I can only describe it as creating a storm in a teacup.

I know for a fact and it’s been reported in many places that the team, management and county board met on Monday and agreed to play the fixture but requested the time be moved to 2pm, why are you still attempting to cast doubt on this?

You “won’t waste your time countering” because you’ve realised you haven’t got a leg to stand on in this argument.

I’m no great fan of tabloids myself but it’s naive to just dismiss out of hand every article ever written by these publications. Yes they can often sensationalise and misconstrue things in order to sell papers and get clicks but they can also just as easily have important information before the broadsheets do.

I also don’t care whether or not the game goes ahead either, my initial reaction was to think it would be postponed but if the players want to play in Liam’s honour then who are we to stop them?

Lastly, nobody has personalised anything here as my username states, we’re all anonymous to each other.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Well said.

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Offaly 2-14 Tipp 0-13 , well done to all involved

ryot
All Star
Club: Doon

Post by ryot »

Great win== Safe in Div 3 now and an outside shot at promotion=====

Anonymous1
All Star

Post by Anonymous1 »

ryot wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:58 pm Great win== Safe in Div 3 now and an outside shot at promotion=====
More than an outside shot. It’s as simple as Offaly beating Down and Cavan beating Fermanagh and we’re up!
Last edited by Anonymous1 on Sat Mar 18, 2023 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.