Offaly Senior Hurlers 2023

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Re: Offaly Senior Hurlers 2023

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Some people in Tipp won't be expecting much from Offaly.
pv.png
pv.png (84.1 KiB) Viewed 9782 times

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Tipperary, after the kick in the arse they got off Waterford will be in no mood to mess around. They'll also have a few key injuries coming back, forde, Morris in particular.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

Could be a tough watch.

JimBwobb
All Star

Post by JimBwobb »

Not gonna lie and I hate been negative but could be a very long day at the office

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Except that it does matter what Dara thinks because it has to be deliberate contact. That's the rule. Which for me means 'malice aforethought'.

I can only assume the card will be appealed. We'll know then.

I do agree, it wasn't the reason Offaly lost. Dammit, the U20s only got going against Wexford once reduced to 14.
Toxicity234 wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 2:24 pmYeah, I knows what your saying but it doesn't matter what Dara thinks, It how the ref thinks. Maybe this ref think that any contact with the faceguard is intentional. but in the league with Limerick Tipperary they was 4 clashes where the faceguard was pulled. It happen all the time.
Intentional, not Intentional. I 'm not even sure in the heat of battle the player knows.

I think is more about consistency- if Dara getting sent off of it, Then Gearóid Hegarty Co get sent off of it.
Is it Nigel Owens that said "i'm not trying to be perfect, I'm trying to be consistency"
To enforce that Rule, At this stage, After a year of it been let go is inconsistency.

Anyway, it wasn't the reason we lost the game.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

The hand went into the face guard and it pulled it outwards, whether Dara intended it or not is irrelevant, it happened and ref and/or umpire seen it, a red card. The commentary of the game no one has mentioned was poor, mixing up names and counties all afternoon, despite the colours being blatantly different on the day..back to the hurling itself, the annoying bit is the inconsistency, a clash of an Offaly player and a Carlow player further out the field if it was football lads would have been sent off for sticking heads together and if I remember right one player hit the deck after it, from memory Offaly got away with that incident, referee was poor on both sides I thought from early on in the game and it did not improve all game..Nallys foul where he was tripped and Carlow scoring from the continued play was more of a terrible call than Dara Maher sending off.. Also we shot 26 wides, to be kind we will say 13 too many..we are not entitled to get a pint every shot we took.it was a tough game to lose after we putting out a reserve team against them 2 weeks ago.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

What part of the word 'deliberately' do you not understand? Rule 5.19 refers.
Fairplayalways wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 7:08 pm The hand went into the face guard and it pulled it outwards, whether Dara intended it or not is irrelevant, it happened and ref and/or umpire seen it, a red card.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

I suppose for the ones who don't want to face upto the sending off..Maher did deliberately pull the face guard..I have sympathy for him of course as he would not have set out in the initial interaction to do so, but it seems to be a fairly harmless thing to some but pull OR put his hand in (call it what one wants if it furthers your defence) , he did pull out of the helmet (face guard to be more precise) as the Carlow forward got away from him..red card..unfortunately I don't have access to all the rules nor the desire to read them..ww are only discussing the issue, the Gaa won't be watching this forum for views before dealing with the matter..if he gets away with appealing it, he will be fortunate, again, only my opinion.

Hurlingmadman
Junior C

Post by Hurlingmadman »

Fairplayalways wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 8:41 pm I suppose for the ones who don't want to face upto the sending off..Maher did deliberately pull the face guard..I have sympathy for him of course as he would not have set out in the initial interaction to do so, but it seems to be a fairly harmless thing to some but pull OR put his hand in (call it what one wants if it furthers your defence) , he did pull out of the helmet (face guard to be more precise) as the Carlow forward got away from him..red card..unfortunately I don't have access to all the rules nor the desire to read them..ww are only discussing the issue, the Gaa won't be watching this forum for views before dealing with the matter..if he gets away with appealing it, he will be fortunate, again, only my opinion.
To say its deliberate is a big statement, after talking to the young lad himself you can tell by him it wasn't deliberate and if you even look back on it im not sure how you can come to the conclusion it was. Two hands on the hurl in the air and as he releases his hand and is turning in the air the hand briefly touches the helmet. If you think in a split second on the turn in a high pressure situation his first thought would be to pull a helmet you havent seen much of him hurl over the years.

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

https://twitter.com/TheSundayGame/statu ... 30915?s=20.

When the Ball won. He pull the face guard.
If this match was Any Munster team - It be a penalty and that all.

But Offaly and Carlow are easy targets.

Austin Gleeson Ripped the Helmets off a Cork player a few years ago in a Semi Final nothing given.
“Common sense is not so common.”

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

not in position to be talking to many players to be honest. Look, if he said he didnt mean it, fair enough, its not tellying me and you that that will exonerate him, hopefully the powers that be believe him. As regards his 2 hands on the hurl as the ball came in, fair enough, but when the Carlow player went to move away Mahers hand was in contact with the faceguard, intentional or not, the faceguard could be seen going outwwards fairly obvious to the umpire and the referee secondly..what could they do then, if they were to accept Mahers plea there would be very few sendings off in anygame..I dont know the chap and have seen him hurl a fair few times, wont say Ime an expert on him or anything, he was unlucky assuming we believe he didnt mean it but officials onlyy had one look at it unlike us..compared to Martin Hanamys pulling of PJ Delaneys helmet in 1998 Mahers was very mild, but it is as is now rule wise..I hope he is redeemed if he didnt mean it..

G91
County player
Club: Ferbane

Post by G91 »

Looking back on that I don't think he pulled it atal his arms were outstretched looked like when he came down his arm caught the gaurd , there's no way you can say 100% he intended to interfere with his face guard, why didn't the referee consult the opinion of the umpire who was right in front off it ,

first_touch
All Star

Post by first_touch »

Crazy refereeing decision. Definitely non deliberate contact with the face guard. If that red card is not rescinded there's no justice.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

look, and I hate giving out about referees' but he had not a good game from both sides of the fence, easy for us say it here, it was a big occasion too for him I suppose. Regarding Gearoid Hegarty, Honestly I think he is a massive hurler and alot give out sometimes unfairly about him too..he does be targeted too in my view..problem is if people throw enough muck as they say some will stick..I see Diarmuid Byrnes now last day and on another blogg posters giving out about him and he did this and that and hes no angel blah blah....if one is goinng to beat Limerick go out and beat them fairly..they are a great side. Kilkenny got away with alot in their 4 in a row and I was a lone voice often hightlighting stuff that went on in their matches...because some Offaly people went supporting them as they were "Leinster" etc. (after maybe beating Offaly by 20 or 30 points some years) they would not acknowledge this so called "edge" that Kilkennny hurled upto. Cody was not all innocent either and could be a bit vicious (in interviews and behaviour on the sideline) depending on how they lost a game too..Hopefully the Maher thing will be resolved fairly to the chap..either way...

timber
All Star

Post by timber »

Ultimately despite the debate over the officiating, we had more than enough chances to win the game and win it with a bit to spare. 26 wides is a bad stat. And there was a good few very poor shots that dropped short too.

In fairness Carlow didnt miss much. Their shooting I thought was excellent throughout from all angles. Dont we all wish for those days when most shots that we hit fly over. Thats a sign of a team high on confidence too. they only missed a few late on when Offaly increased the pressure and got the hurl in to try hook or block.

Now the big thing, please, please, please none of this booing crap when the opposition are taking frees. It was embarrassing last weekend. Yes i get it, Carlow supporters did start it and there was jeering at alot of Offaly wides. That probably caused the backlash but lets not get involved in that going forward. Keep our own standards high. We dont want to be associated in same way as the Dubs who I have always had utter disgust for the way they carry themselves at games with their booing and jeering. Shout on our teams with positivity.