Offaly Senior Hurlers 2023

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
G91
County player
Club: Ferbane

Re: Offaly Senior Hurlers 2023

Post by G91 »

No Jack screeny was a surprise not to be included in the squad ,

JimBwobb
All Star

Post by JimBwobb »

Very surprised theirs no talk of the final on the forum.

Maybe it sums up what people think of second tier hurling, however this Is a national final.

I believe match ups will be key here today with Marty Kavanagh and Chris Nolan been the main threats. Id fancy Ben to mark kavanagh and potentially J Sampson/Burke to mark Nolan. These match ups are crucial.

A lot of talk in the press and the bookies all pointing to an Offaly win, I think the opposite to be honest.

So far in the Joe Mc D games Carlow have scored 13 goals 13 goals and 118 points whereas Offaly have 7 goals and 104 points. Offaly have conceded 6 goals whereas Carlow have conceded 1........... take of them stats what you wish.

Carlow beat Offaly by 6 points in Joe Mc last year also in Tullamore.

Seemingly couple of our main players are carrying knocks going into this so we'll have to see how it goes and please god we get the win.

Hope it's a great day out for anyone who makes it to Croker and we win the game but it's going to be tight.

Hopefully Kiely and Cahill continue their form and we bring it home.

Best of luck to team and management. Hon Offaly!!!!!

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Carlow's full back is called Horse; the centre half-back is Sledge. If you don't take them seriously, you're in trouble.

I was impressed with Carlow two weeks ago. Comfortable going short or going direct. It's going to be a massive challenge for Offaly. It will be a great game.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

G91
County player
Club: Ferbane

Post by G91 »

I wouldn't look into a hole lot of the game In carlow from what carlow did , they were always going to be comfortable knowing offaly were through and win loose or draw didn't make a difference to them

Offaly got some good time into the squad before the final gave them a chance to sharpen up at trainings following mistakes made in that game ,

Carlow weren't overly brilliant at times either in that game yes they were dominant yes they did use the ball well but they did go off the boil for small bit as I've said before going for goals when there was no need nor a chance

I think offaly are physically stronger and have more of a threat in the forwards something that offaly haven't had in years 6 forwards all capable of doing serious damage , just have to play from the start and not go 4 ,5 points behind carlow will tighten up and make life difficult

Charlie and eoin are goal threats while Brain is good for a high ball, jack clancy will work the socks off and bring serious pressure to his marker

At this stage you know how capable the entire team is and if they can get settled fast I think we can put carlow in alot of danger

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

Absolutely sickening.

JimBwobb
All Star

Post by JimBwobb »

Initial reaction.....

Sick.

Wides cost us.

Carlow unreal under the high ball.

Fantastic heart and determination by our lads to keep at it with 14 and force extra time.

Could and should of won but no complaints overall ,bar, the referee.

Well done Carlow.

FJB
Junior B
Club: Gracefield

Post by FJB »

20 something wides. Something very bad unforced wides included. We were probably slightly the better team but Carlow got the breaks.

Superhans75
All Star
Club: Birr

Post by Superhans75 »

Absolutely shite at time's never threatened to score a second goal
Kelly is what he a journey man

biffinbanner
All Star
Club: ferbane

Post by biffinbanner »

28 wides. 1 goal and 31 points ..that 60 shots. some going. its sickening ok but they died with their boots on. losing david nally was a huge loss. lets hope hes ok.. bit of a balls now having to face limerick or cork in 2 weeks time..i think thats a stupid rule.

uibhfhaili72
Junior A
Club: St.Rynaghs

Post by uibhfhaili72 »

Absolutely Sickening

Extremely hard luck to the lads who kept on going no matter how the game was going. thought we had it but in fairness to carlow they show character to finish with the last 2 with time virtually up. As mentioned above the wides killed us especially in the first half when they were needed have to feel for Cleary towards the end because he generally gave a good account of himself. Those 2 goals from hit and hope balls caught us on the bounce in the blink of an eye followed by the red card. Once again Hard luck to the boys another tough journey next year with a good side guaranteed to come down.Thought it was our time to strike . Thought Connelly,Corcoran , K Sampson + P Clancy were very good. We go again next weekend. UIBH FHAILI ABU

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Superhans75 wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 8:08 pm Absolutely shite at time's never threatened to score a second goal
Kelly is what he a journey man
Bit harsh, he didn't puck the ball wide. Mgt the game very well down to 14 men. They died with their boots on.

Superhans75
All Star

Post by Superhans75 »

I will get slagged Galore but it's straight in front of
Your face Carlow wanted it more good luck to them 👍

Superhans75
All Star

Post by Superhans75 »

I've watched every hurling game in the flesh you can't hide an average team

JimBwobb
All Star

Post by JimBwobb »

Superhans75 wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 8:30 pm I've watched every hurling game in the flesh you can't hide an average team

You are full of shite :roll: :roll:

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Heart-breaking defeat. There is no doubt about it.
Offaly somehow dragged the game to extra time against all odds. That was massive.
When a lot went against them, the players stood up and tried everything.

The wides will be a talking point but when you're not winning ball enough closer in, then you're forced to take more long-range shots.
The biggest advantage Carlow had was their ability to make clean catches, especially in the Offaly half.
Offaly had to compensate in other ways, having to put pressure on to win turnovers. When Offaly were restored to 15 players there wasn’t enough spare energy to pull away in extra time.

The game turned on its head in about 3 minutes when Carlow pinched 2 goals and went a man up.
Maybe Offaly would have pulled away with 15, or maybe they wouldn’t have been as careful with possession and the end result the same. You can’t say for definite.

We’re not there yet but we’re on the right road. Next year we might have the strawberries in the McDonagh and it already looks a challenge but if we keep building and improving we’ll move up the hurling ranks.