KEVIN KILMURRAY R.I.P.

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
ryot
All Star
Club: Doon

KEVIN KILMURRAY R.I.P.

Post by ryot »

We have lost a great one with the passing of Kevin "The Killer" Kilmurray.

He was a star with Daingean from a young age, then in Hogan Cup with Belcamp, with UCD and for many years as the massive leader of the Offaly attack.

Rest In Peace Kevin.
Last edited by ryot on Sat Dec 10, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

SearingDrive
All Star

Re: KEVIN KILMURRAY R.I.P.

Post by SearingDrive »

ryot wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:51 am We have lost a great one with the passing of Kevin "The Killer" Kilmurray.

He was a star with Daingean from a young age, then in Hogan Cup, with UCD and for many years as the massive leader of the Offaly attack.

Rest In Peace Kevin.
Sorry to hear that Kevin Kilmurray had died, he had been unwell for a while. A star player for Daingean and Offaly. he rest in peace.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

I didn't see him play in the flesh but in the old clips I've seen, Kevin was a very energetic, ball carrying, centre forward.
When he drove forward, he created problems for defences and opportunities for attackers.

He took the Offaly football management job when few wanted it, after serious upheavals including a players' strike.
Unfortunately, the window for winning another Leinster title was closing. By that stage Dublin were starting to get their act together.
In 2006 Offaly put in the best championship run in the last quarter century before falling short to Dublin.

He will be long remembered for his contribution to a golden era in Offaly GAA.

first_touch
All Star

Post by first_touch »

Around the early seventies a catchphrase of a local character in the Ferbane area was "Go for it Kilmurray"! It neatly captured the adventurous drive and determination which Kevin Kilmurray brought to the game. He epitomised the spirit of that great Offaly team of 69 to 73, a team that was only one score short of winning five Leinster football titles in a row. Kevin Kilmurray played a huge role in bringing the first senior All Ireland victory to the county of 1971 and the two in a row the following year. Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam.

ah lethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by ah lethimoutwithit »

May He Rest in Peace.