Offaly Senior Football Team - Championship 2023

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Re: Offaly Senior Football Team - Championship 2023

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

I suggest a two-tier Tall Chin cup, with a lower tier for division 4 counties.
Fairplayalways wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 2:10 pm never said or not saying its a bad thing (yet) but unless an Antrim or Wicklow or Waterford etc. win it, and no disrespect to them counties whom I watch out for week in week out, I just think the gloss will go off of it after a few years, I hope ime wrong..time will tell..
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

GreatDayForTheParish
All Star

Post by GreatDayForTheParish »

Plain of the Herbs wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 7:49 pm I suggest a two-tier Tall Chin cup, with a lower tier for division 4 counties.
Why do you call it Tall Chin?

Superhans75
All Star
Club: Birr

Post by Superhans75 »

Venue and times for game will be out on Friday
Lunch time .
Which Friday I don't know lol 👀🤔

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

GreatDayForTheParish wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 8:16 pm
Plain of the Herbs wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 7:49 pm I suggest a two-tier Tall Chin cup, with a lower tier for division 4 counties.
Why do you call it Tall Chin?
probably just trying to set posters off with proposed 3rd tier competition..maybe not...

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

Anonymous1 wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 2:57 pm
Fairplayalways wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 2:10 pm never said or not saying its a bad thing (yet) but unless an Antrim or Wicklow or Waterford etc. win it, and no disrespect to them counties whom I watch out for week in week out, I just think the gloss will go off of it after a few years, I hope ime wrong..time will tell..
I thought the implication from saying “it will die off” is that you think it’s a bad thing.

I don’t understand your argument that unless an Antrim, Wicklow or Waterford win it then the gloss will go off it. Has the gloss been taken off the Sam Maguire because Dublin, Kerry, Tyrone etc almost always win it? I don’t think so.

Once the games aren’t badly lopsided, I can’t see the gloss going off the Tailteann especially with a guaranteed All Ireland series place up for grabs. Most teams will have hope of making the latter stages of the competition and it gives division 4 teams exposure to division 3 teams and division 3 teams exposure to some division 2 teams which one hopes will help some of the weaker teams improve.
The Sam McGuire has had the bones of 100 years unchallenged, so barring the national leagues which were treated very seriously back when i was a kid in early 1980s, the senior football championship was the only show in town, so it had to be taken seriously and probably still is by all counties despite we knowing only a handfull will realistically have a chance of winning it each year...Tailteann is grand, but Westmeath, Offaly, Cavan, Sligo, Laois, all have won at national level in the fairly recent past (30 years say stretching it a good bit) where as Antrim, Fermanagh (probably should be listed with the forementioned counties) Wicklow, Carlow etc. have won ZERO, The offalys and the Cavans winning once would be great but ending up in it year in year out might become boring, your lesser counties will really strive to win it and unless one of them do, it might just lose its gloss abit..after a few years..reminds me a bit of the English Championship, Offaly and Westmeath for example would be the Norwich City or West Brom equivalent, up one year, down the next etc..I just fear it might take on that resemblance..

GreatDayForTheParish
All Star

Post by GreatDayForTheParish »

I will never understand the resistance to a tiered intercounty football championship when:

1: Every adult club championship in every single county is tiered into Senior, Intermediate etc.
2: The league format is tiered and is extremely compelling.
3. The hurling intercounty championship is tiered and works well.

My only two issues are that the Taitleann Cup should be renamed the Senior B Championship because apparently having ‘championship’ in the title is very important for a cultural acceptance of the competition.
Also, second tier teams should start the year in that competition and play it out from there (like club championship, Joe McDonagh and football leagues) and not qualify for the second tier for it by virtue of losing first. Again, this seems to be a psychological point for some people.

Anonymous1
All Star

Post by Anonymous1 »

Fairplayalways wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 12:25 pm
I thought the implication from saying “it will die off” is that you think it’s a bad thing.

I don’t understand your argument that unless an Antrim, Wicklow or Waterford win it then the gloss will go off it. Has the gloss been taken off the Sam Maguire because Dublin, Kerry, Tyrone etc almost always win it? I don’t think so.

Once the games aren’t badly lopsided, I can’t see the gloss going off the Tailteann especially with a guaranteed All Ireland series place up for grabs. Most teams will have hope of making the latter stages of the competition and it gives division 4 teams exposure to division 3 teams and division 3 teams exposure to some division 2 teams which one hopes will help some of the weaker teams improve.
The Sam McGuire has had the bones of 100 years unchallenged, so barring the national leagues which were treated very seriously back when i was a kid in early 1980s, the senior football championship was the only show in town, so it had to be taken seriously and probably still is by all counties despite we knowing only a handfull will realistically have a chance of winning it each year...Tailteann is grand, but Westmeath, Offaly, Cavan, Sligo, Laois, all have won at national level in the fairly recent past (30 years say stretching it a good bit) where as Antrim, Fermanagh (probably should be listed with the forementioned counties) Wicklow, Carlow etc. have won ZERO, The offalys and the Cavans winning once would be great but ending up in it year in year out might become boring, your lesser counties will really strive to win it and unless one of them do, it might just lose its gloss abit..after a few years..reminds me a bit of the English Championship, Offaly and Westmeath for example would be the Norwich City or West Brom equivalent, up one year, down the next etc..I just fear it might take on that resemblance..
I’m not arguing that the Sam Maguire isn’t taken seriously by all counties but the point is we all know only a few counties will actually win it yet it has never lost it’s gloss which is why I don’t understand the argument that the Tailteann would lose it’s gloss for the same reason.

Surely putting counties that haven’t won anything in the recent past and are unlikely to do so anytime soon like Antrim, Fermanagh, Wicklow, Carlow etc into a second tier with counties of a similar level gives them a better chance to actually win something at a national level than throwing them to the wolves in the qualifiers?

Even those counties you name that have won at a national level in the past 30 years or so are desperate to do so again and would only love the chance to add a couple of Tailteann Cups to their name?

Also the teams that make up the Tailteann will fluctuate a nice bit from year to year as teams get promoted from division 3 to 2 and others go in the opposite direction as well as teams that make a surprise provincial final (Sligo) relegating some of the so called bigger teams into the competition (Meath).

As for your English Championship analogy, the reason the same teams that get relegated tend to get promoted again the following season is because of the parachute payment system which allows those relegated teams to have vastly superior squads than those who have been languishing in the championship for years. I don’t think that’ll happen with the Tailteann to the same degree at all.

Take Cavan as an example as they’re the betting favourites this year, let’s say they win it out and secure their spot in next season’s All Ireland series, they’ll also be in division 2 next season and one could reasonably expect them to make themselves mainstays in division 2 and as a result regularly be competing in the All Ireland series instead of the Tailteann. The point being if you win the tailteann and then get a crack in the All Ireland series, you’re very well set up to stay there instead of immediately dropping back into the Tailteann. Conversely, Louth have shown it’s possible to move from a Tailteann team to an All Ireland series team rapidly.

Anonymous1
All Star

Post by Anonymous1 »

GreatDayForTheParish wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 12:53 pm I will never understand the resistance to a tiered intercounty football championship when:

1: Every adult club championship in every single county is tiered into Senior, Intermediate etc.
2: The league format is tiered and is extremely compelling.
3. The hurling intercounty championship is tiered and works well.

My only two issues are that the Taitleann Cup should be renamed the Senior B Championship because apparently having ‘championship’ in the title is very important for a cultural acceptance of the competition.
Also, second tier teams should start the year in that competition and play it out from there (like club championship, Joe McDonagh and football leagues) and not qualify for the second tier for it by virtue of losing first. Again, this seems to be a psychological point for some people.
There’s a lot of people who’d argue the tiered hurling championship is not working well at all and is in fact broken as it has essentially turned into the English Championship where whoever wins it and goes up isn’t good enough to stay up and comes straight back down but that’s an argument for another day.

I think referring to it as the Senior B Championship actually does it a disservice and they probably avoided it on purpose. Calling it The Tailteann Cup is the same as calling the Championship “The Sam Maguire”

If you’re going down that road then The Joe Mcdonagh Cup needs to become the Senior B championship too but I’ve never heard anyone lobbying for that change.

I don’t agree teams should start in the second tier and work out from there, that would mean the end of the provincial championship and also the end of giving every team a chance at winning Sam which will never happen. If that were in place now, we wouldn’t have had the opportunity to beat Meath and then come within a whisker of beating Louth and securing an All Ireland series place.

Also the top two teams in the Joe Mcdonagh then enter the All Ireland Senior hurling championship at the preliminary quarter final stage so if you were to do likewise with the Tailteann then it would need to be played off before the All Ireland series which wouldn’t work.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

Cavan or Down will probably win the tailteann this year, Meath, Fermanagh or Sligo or Offaly then...Antrim, Carlow, or Wicklow or Waterford etc. will not win it. The parachute payment to the championship yes its true some teams yo yo up and down..the tailteann wont have the payment of course but teams like like those in the Tailtean for the last two years will always be in the tailtean, with exception of the Cavans and Downs whom are probably victims of a strong province..yes the teams will change of course but the main basement teams will always be first into the tailteann in the main.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

Anonymous1 wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 1:25 pm
Fairplayalways wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 12:25 pm

I’m not arguing that the Sam Maguire isn’t taken seriously by all counties but the point is we all know only a few counties will actually win it yet it has never lost it’s gloss which is why I don’t understand the argument that the Tailteann would lose it’s gloss for the same reason.

Surely putting counties that haven’t won anything in the recent past and are unlikely to do so anytime soon like Antrim, Fermanagh, Wicklow, Carlow etc into a second tier with counties of a similar level gives them a better chance to actually win something at a national level than throwing them to the wolves in the qualifiers?

Even those counties you name that have won at a national level in the past 30 years or so are desperate to do so again and would only love the chance to add a couple of Tailteann Cups to their name?

Also the teams that make up the Tailteann will fluctuate a nice bit from year to year as teams get promoted from division 3 to 2 and others go in the opposite direction as well as teams that make a surprise provincial final (Sligo) relegating some of the so called bigger teams into the competition (Meath).

As for your English Championship analogy, the reason the same teams that get relegated tend to get promoted again the following season is because of the parachute payment system which allows those relegated teams to have vastly superior squads than those who have been languishing in the championship for years. I don’t think that’ll happen with the Tailteann to the same degree at all.

Take Cavan as an example as they’re the betting favourites this year, let’s say they win it out and secure their spot in next season’s All Ireland series, they’ll also be in division 2 next season and one could reasonably expect them to make themselves mainstays in division 2 and as a result regularly be competing in the All Ireland series instead of the Tailteann. The point being if you win the tailteann and then get a crack in the All Ireland series, you’re very well set up to stay there instead of immediately dropping back into the Tailteann. Conversely, Louth have shown it’s possible to move from a Tailteann team to an All Ireland series team rapidly.
Cavan or Down will probably win the tailteann this year, Meath, Fermanagh or Sligo or Offaly then would be next possible winners this year....Antrim, Carlow, or Wicklow or Waterford etc. will not win it. The parachute payment to the championship yes its true some teams yo yo up and down..the tailteann wont have the payment of course but teams like like those in the Tailtean for the last two years will always be in the tailtean, with exception of the Cavans and Downs whom are probably victims of a strong province..yes the teams will change of course but the main basement teams will always be first into the tailteann in the main..Westmeath or Cavan winning it this year wont put the panic on Kerry or Dublin or any other top team, the tailteann will be won, and it will fade for the counties winning it Ide say..time will tell, no harm to give it a go now and see how it goes..

timber
All Star

Post by timber »

Am I right in saying that Offaly are fixed to play London in football at home and Carlow away in the hurling on the same day????? :evil:

ah lethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by ah lethimoutwithit »

Trying to to be funny I guess??

Superhans75
All Star

Post by Superhans75 »

I wonder which players will go wondering in the Offaly team .
Your only young once 🤔👍

ah lethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by ah lethimoutwithit »

"I wonder which players will go wondering in the Offaly team"

"Wondering" about what Hans??

Coud it be
"I better hit it along the ground or my coach will kill me?"
"Why is the briquette factory closing and we bringing in shite for the fire from Germany?"
"Will it be strawberry of peach yoghurt after training?"
"How did Christy Todd miss that weed with the round up?"
"If I transfer to Tullamore will i have a better chance of getting a call up-football only!!"
"Will we bate Laois-football again"
"If we bate Kerry it doesn't matter what happens v Carlow , we are in the final, I wonder then will we get to Tully's for a few pints??"

Amongst many other wonderings...feel free to add, tis a slow Friday

Superhans75
All Star

Post by Superhans75 »

They have to get out of this country to experience life
The young are screwed they have to leave to live a decent life .
Factory days are long gone the bank is gone
The sales rep is gone
So it's university bit of sport and travel
To enjoy what we had when we were young was on our
Doorstep
Just being realistic .
Not too many intercounty players falling a sleep in the toilets in Melba's night before a game anymore.
Simple times 🤔🤪😭