Club football managers 22/23

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
jimbob17
All Star

Re: Club football managers 22/23

Post by jimbob17 »

While I'd agree this is quite contentious, especially if you are from Ballinabrackey, we don't know the full facts. Ballinabrackey have surely highlighted it and it may publicly look bad on Flanagan without looking too deeply at it. However, Truth is some managers have been harshly treated by some clubs over the years on many occasions, volunteers or otherwise, and I'm certainly not saying for a second that he has been harshly treated here. But sometimes, coaches get offers of doing something at a club that interests them more and move to where it suits them. If this is the case, and I am not saying I agree with what he did, but it makes it more understandable.

I remember Declan Kidney leaving Leinster after a month or two for Munster and it has happened in premier league also. Flanagan may have been offered a chance with a better group of players at short notice and some may not value verbal agreements as much as others. People are quick to throw out the money card, but I wouldn't be certain that money is the reason in this instance - more so an opportunity for success. While I'd accept that money does change hands, particularly with outside coaches, Sarsfields may not be as flush with cash as Ballinabrackey with the benefactor they have supporting them.

I will say I was surprised to hear this news as it was touted that Declan Kelly would be taking Sarsfields. It just strikes me that all of a sudden, a good few Offaly guys are now gone outside the county with not too many clubs clamouring to bring them back. Maybe the grass is always greener on the other side. If they were all so good as those clubs outside the county think, surely some clubs inside the county would be looking for them?...........
jimbob

FJB
Junior B
Club: Gracefield

Post by FJB »

I was told Flanagan hadn't fully agreed to the Bracks job and when The Sash came calling, he saw it as a better opportunity, not necessarily better "terms and conditions".

llkj
All Star

Post by llkj »

The money was just resting in his account.

Offalyblueboy
Junior A
Club: Tullamore

Post by Offalyblueboy »

Listen why are folk surprised by Flanagans decision he’s like the rest of the Clara folk only interested in himself. Very self centred individual

ryot
All Star
Club: Doon

Post by ryot »

This is horrific===
He takes a job, meets the players and 4 days later is announced as a manager of a different club--------

IMO He has no CREDIBILITY AND NO SHAME==== IS CASH HIS KING----------

Buttons
All Star
Club: Club

Post by Buttons »

Here is my opinion, who would you prefer to manage a team that has avoided relegation in relegation finals the last few years or a team that has a realistic chance of winning a championship, it’s a no brainer, to be winning Roscommon senior championships and close to a Connaught championships his calibre is a good Kildare team.

I would say money is no issue here but more the chances of winning silverware

hamstrings
Junior A

Post by hamstrings »

Buttons wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 6:09 pm Here is my opinion, who would you prefer to manage a team that has avoided relegation in relegation finals the last few years or a team that has a realistic chance of winning a championship, it’s a no brainer, to be winning Roscommon senior championships and close to a Connaught championships his calibre is a good Kildare team.

I would say money is no issue here but more the chances of winning silverware
It's a no brainer if you had the two offers on the table at the same time but that isn't the case here

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

Happens the whole time in gaa club scene managers holding out for better opportunities.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

Someone posted above that Ballinabrackey have a better backer (or something to that effect) than Sarsfields... while not fully up to speed with both clubs I would have thought Sarsfields with its big standing in Kildare would be better off financially than Ballinabrackey..I am of the opinion that Pat Flanagan had accepted and committed to the Ballinabrackey job, if he had, written or verbal, its poor looking jumping ship. We don't know the full facts but the Ballinabrackey statement indicates he was "in the job" as opposed to having nothing signed which some seem to think makes it ok to walk away, I like Flanagan as a manager but this doesn't look good.

joe bloggs
All Star

Post by joe bloggs »

Fairplayalways wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 9:14 pm Someone posted above that Ballinabrackey have a better backer (or something to that effect) than Sarsfields... while not fully up to speed with both clubs I would have thought Sarsfields with its big standing in Kildare would be better off financially than Ballinabrackey..I am of the opinion that Pat Flanagan had accepted and committed to the Ballinabrackey job, if he had, written or verbal, its poor looking jumping ship. We don't know the full facts but the Ballinabrackey statement indicates he was "in the job" as opposed to having nothing signed which some seem to think makes it ok to walk away, I like Flanagan as a manager but this doesn't look good.
I doubt there is a club manager in Ireland that has "signed" with a club to train them...afterall no one is being paid, sure it's only travel expenses.
'if your not part of the solution, your part of the problem' J. McClean

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

When I say signed I mean fully committed (written or verbal) but if he has signed/committed (fully beforehand) and then walks away when a more attractive offer arrives it is poor carry on, Ballinabrackey on their statement indicate that is what happened, Flanagan hasnt said anything that I heard that contradicts the Ballinabrackey statement..better off without him if he is that easily swayed I suppose..

Onionbag
All Star
Club: Durrow

Post by Onionbag »

Fairplayalways wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 2:22 am When I say signed I mean fully committed (written or verbal) but if he has signed/committed (fully beforehand) and then walks away when a more attractive offer arrives it is poor carry on, Ballinabrackey on their statement indicate that is what happened, Flanagan hasnt said anything that I heard that contradicts the Ballinabrackey statement..better off without him if he is that easily swayed I suppose..
Yeah the silence is deafening from Flanagan.

It's where we are unfortunately when it comes to managers.

llkj
All Star

Post by llkj »

My advise to PF: say nothing, keep your powder dry, and then after he wins a county title next Autumn say “a lot of people doubted me, a lot of stuff was said, etc…”

Offalyblueboy
Junior A
Club: Tullamore

Post by Offalyblueboy »

Have all senior clubs mgt been confirmed I see and hear of some back training in prep for the league

ah lethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by ah lethimoutwithit »

Bottom line is what matters in this instance,
PF's bottom line in the bank