Offaly Senior Football Team - Championship 2022

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
biffinbanner
All Star
Club: ferbane

Re: Offaly Senior Football Team - Championship 2022

Post by biffinbanner »

o se no loss in my opinion. but i agree it was handled badly if his name was mentioned by county board and it wasnt a done deal.

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

Would imagine likes of Martin Murphy Portarlington or Pat Flanagan come into the picture again for Senior Football manager. Don't see too many others locally based that would qualify as experienced enough. Duignan could also use vast array of media contacts that could bring somebody down from the Dublin club scene or the north. Either way it is a huge call now. Preference would be for one of lads mentioned above and backed up with guys that know the local scene very well.
jimbob

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

To be fair, Pat Flanagan has got success everywhere he has gone.

Makes you wonder what happened with Offaly.

I’d support his reappointment ahead of guys like Bernard Flynn. What actually are his credentials?

Tmacmahon
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Tmacmahon »

Whoever is the manager we need to get the best players on the panel. My preference of a team although to be fair it changes so often , but overall these should be the lads on our 35 man panel

1. Patrick Dunican

2. Lee Pearson. 3. Declan Hogan. 4. David Dempsey

5. John Furlong. 6. John Maloney. 7. Anton Sullivan

8. Jordan Hayes 9. Peter Cunnighm

10. Cathal Flynn. 11. Niall Mcnamee . 12 Keith o Neill

13. Cian Johnson. 14. Nigel Dunne. 15. Cian Farrell

Ruari mcnamee , joe Maher, bill Carroll, Morgan tynan, Eoin Carroll,jack Bryant, cormac Egan , James lawlor, Cathal mangan , Michael Brazil , Colm Doyle , Diarmuid Egan , Conor Mcnamee, Carl Stewart , Aaron leavey, Luke Egan , Rory Egan ,

But the priority is a good manager

Will they go back for Declan Kelly now that o se has declined???

the Untouchable
All Star

Post by the Untouchable »

I don't see O'Se dropping out as a massive issue as he's a complete novice to this and that doesn't really feel like what we need right now considering the young players that the manager is going to be working with and the complete lack of tactical awareness that we played with under Maughan.

I'd love to see what Stephen Rochford is up to now that he is finished with Donegal, he was apparently part of the backroom team on the Bernard Flynn ticket for the Meath job which would kind of indicate that he's not expecting to be getting the Mayo job anytime soon, or perhaps someone like Kevin Walsh who at least built a foundation for Galway to build on when they were at a very low point.

People I'm sure have plenty of reason why neither of the above mentioned men should be let near an Offaly team, but with very little in the way of an obvious candidate within the county and the prospect of taking a punt on a club manager as really our best alternative I thought I'd throw 2 names of experienced county managers into the debate and see if people could come up with someone better.
The Untouchable

Behindthegoal
Junior A
Club: Ballinagar

Post by Behindthegoal »

Niall Mcnamee can’t play no.11 at county level anymore I think Nigel Dunne’s county days are behind him. Leaving ruairi Mcnamee out is also a big shout he’s very consistent in my opinion

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

frankthetank wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:38 am To be fair, Pat Flanagan has got success everywhere he has gone.

Makes you wonder what happened with Offaly.
Thats a very good question. I didn't like the fact that Pat never took any responsibility himself for the results in year 3 of his tenure....it was everybodies else fault except his. In fairness the arse was falling out of it in his third year....remember the debacle of the team deciding to travel to Armagh squeezed into 5 cars instead of the bus only to suffer the biggest defeat ever on the football pitch for an Offaly team.
I'm not convinced bringing Pat back in would be the best option for Offaly again.....he is well capable of getting results elsewhere but not for Offaly for me.

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

Tmacmahon wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:06 pm Whoever is the manager we need to get the best players on the panel. My preference of a team although to be fair it changes so often , but overall these should be the lads on our 35 man panel

1. Patrick Dunican

Ruari mcnamee , joe Maher, bill Carroll, Morgan tynan, Eoin Carroll,jack Bryant, cormac Egan , James lawlor, Cathal mangan , Michael Brazil , Colm Doyle , Diarmuid Egan , Conor Mcnamee, Carl Stewart , Aaron leavey, Luke Egan , Rory Egan

Likely a few of them lads away next year between J1, travelling and army service. I'd certainly see huge issues with that team, albeit wouldnt have much issue with the 30 selected. Dunne past his best but could still offer something and is still one of the best forwards in the county. If McNamee can play at 37, Dunne can surely offer something at 32 or 33.

From what I know, Kelly has ruled himself out for work reasons. Has he changed jobs or what? He was able to manage both the u20s and St Lomans at same time for last couple of years.
jimbob

Tmacmahon
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Tmacmahon »

Behindthegoal wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 6:33 pm Niall Mcnamee can’t play no.11 at county level anymore I think Nigel Dunne’s county days are behind him. Leaving ruairi Mcnamee out is also a big shout he’s very consistent in my opinion
Yea in fairness I can see ruari might be hard done by so I’d have no issue with him starting. With Niall and Nigel I didn’t take age into consideration and maybe I should have ,I just took ability what I’ve seen within Offaly the two lads for me are easily in The top forwards in our o
County , and Niall is a genius even at 37
jimbob17 wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:53 pm [quote=Tmacmahon post_id=65070 time=<a href="tel:1659442009">1659442009</a> user_id=12410]
Whoever is the manager we need to get the best players on the panel. My preference of a team although to be fair it changes so often , but overall these should be the lads on our 35 man panel

1. Patrick Dunican

Ruari mcnamee , joe Maher, bill Carroll, Morgan tynan, Eoin Carroll,jack Bryant, cormac Egan , James lawlor, Cathal mangan , Michael Brazil , Colm Doyle , Diarmuid Egan , Conor Mcnamee, Carl Stewart , Aaron leavey, Luke Egan , Rory Egan

Likely a few of them lads away next year between J1, travelling and army service. I'd certainly see huge issues with that team, albeit wouldnt have much issue with the 30 selected. Dunne past his best but could still offer something and is still one of the best forwards in the county. If McNamee can play at 37, Dunne can surely offer something at 32 or 33.

From what I know, Kelly has ruled himself out for work reasons. Has he changed jobs or what? He was able to manage both the u20s and St Lomans at same time for last couple of years.
[/quote]

Yea the team isn’t what I’d call a great team I probably should have just listed 1-35 ,ah sure look your dead right 32 or 33 he can easily offer something , he actually looked far leaner in OCP on Saturday than I’ve ever seen him..I’m not sure what Declan Kelly job situation is but I’m just wondering will CB approach him again, I know he has ruled himself out initially. I see Bernard Flynn being linked? Is this genuine?
Names that I have heard or could potentially do it :
Bernard Flynn
Declan Kelly
Pat Flannagan
Pascal kellaghan
Paul Curran
Ken Furlong
Peter Brady
Paddy Christie
Paul Rouse
Kevin Walsh, I like the idea of Walsh he’d add serious structures

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

Tmacmahon wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:41 pm
Behindthegoal wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 6:33 pm Niall Mcnamee can’t play no.11 at county level anymore I think Nigel Dunne’s county days are behind him. Leaving ruairi Mcnamee out is also a big shout he’s very consistent in my opinion
Yea in fairness I can see ruari might be hard done by so I’d have no issue with him starting. With Niall and Nigel I didn’t take age into consideration and maybe I should have ,I just took ability what I’ve seen within Offaly the two lads for me are easily in The top forwards in our o
County , and Niall is a genius even at 37
jimbob17 wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:53 pm [quote=Tmacmahon post_id=65070 time=<a href="tel:1659442009">1659442009</a> user_id=12410]

1. Patrick Dunican

Yea the team isn’t what I’d call a great team I probably should have just listed 1-35 ,ah sure look your dead right 32 or 33 he can easily offer something , he actually looked far leaner in OCP on Saturday than I’ve ever seen him..I’m not sure what Declan Kelly job situation is but I’m just wondering will CB approach him again, I know he has ruled himself out initially. I see Bernard Flynn being linked? Is this genuine?
Names that I have heard or could potentially do it :
Bernard Flynn
Declan Kelly
Pat Flannagan
Pascal kellaghan
Paul Curran
Ken Furlong
Peter Brady
Paddy Christie
Paul Rouse
Kevin Walsh, I like the idea of Walsh he’d add serious structures
[/quote]

Re those mentioned
Flynn is likely well connected to chairman I would assume through media etc and was in for the Meath job. Could well be in the reckoning and lives in Westmeath. Not sure about him as a manager though. What has he done at adult club level? That would be my question? Think his ego could get in the way of things at times. Has really not done himself any favours in Meath with his comments to media when things didnt go his way. One i'd be wary of.
Kelly ruled himself out previously.
Flanagan dragged Offaly up from Div 4 from an exceptionally low place with little or no underage success behind it and left with little support from then county board. Are they any further on now than when he left? I'd suggest not. Has done well anywhere he has gone. Should be a genuine contender.
Paul Curran did well with Clan Na Gael? - not done much at county level?
Ken Furlong? Has he ever managed a club at senior level? Way too soon, but should be given u20 if Kelly departs.
Peter Brady - Not sure he'd have the diplomacy at county level.
Paddy Christie is on a ticket for Mayo job. What did he achieve as a coach in Tipperary? or with DCU and all the talent he has there?
Paul Rouse opted out after a month a few years ago for work reasons. Has he ever managed a club senior team even. His brother John has done well with Tullamore but Paul has not done much at adult level.
Kevin Walsh - experienced and knowledgeable - should be considered if interested.

The one I can't understand that nobody is talking about or pushing for is Martin Murphy. He wouldn't be a politicizing a*se licker but has lots of credentials. Has done exceptionally well with Portarlington - and did so before with Gracefield back in the day. Highly experienced and would know the Offaly scene. Was he with Cappincur the year they beat Tullamore in championship also possibly. Should also be considered.
jimbob

biffinbanner
All Star
Club: ferbane

Post by biffinbanner »

interesting the names being put forward. kevin walsh was a very negative manager when he was over his own county .a sort of rory gallagher type set up. id love to see pat flanagan get a go at it with the new supportive positive top table. and he will also have way more talent than he had the last time he was in it.

Anonymous1
All Star

Post by Anonymous1 »

I certainly would not like to see Pat Flanagan back, he had his go and could bring us no further. Also, the narrative that he’s had success in every job he’s had is nonsense, his most recent job in Offaly was with Clara which ended acrimoniously with what could only be described as a planned assault on some of Rhode’s players in the 2019 semi final. I’m not sure many of the Rhode boys would welcome him back with open arms...

Here’s a name I haven’t seen mentioned that would give a fresh impetus to the Offaly setup: Cian O’Neill.

He has coached for Liam Sheedy’s Tipp side that stopped Kilkenny’s 5 in a row, coached the Kerry footballers, managed Kildare for 4 years culminating in the Newbridge or nowhere win over Mayo and most recently has coached under Padraic Joyce with the Galway footballers this season.

Been to 4 All Ireland finals with 4 different counties and is still young in his managerial career. Why not him?

Behindthegoal
Junior A
Club: Ballinagar

Post by Behindthegoal »

Why not him? Because why on earth would he want to come to Offaly? A division 3 team who got slaughtered in the tailteann cup. He’s a proven coach/manager and could virtually get any gig in the country he wants I’d imagine Offaly would be well well well down his list

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

Imagine O'Neill would stay on in Galway for foreseeable.

Another not mentioned is Kevin McStay. He could do a right good job. He is in for Mayo job with great chance of getting it. However, he only lives around Athlone and has won with Roscommon before. Definitely worth a phone call.
jimbob

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Anonymous1 wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:38 am I certainly would not like to see Pat Flanagan back, he had his go and could bring us no further. Also, the narrative that he’s had success in every job he’s had is nonsense, his most recent job in Offaly was with Clara which ended acrimoniously with what could only be described as a planned assault on some of Rhode’s players in the 2019 semi final. I’m not sure many of the Rhode boys would welcome him back with open arms...

Here’s a name I haven’t seen mentioned that would give a fresh impetus to the Offaly setup: Cian O’Neill.

He has coached for Liam Sheedy’s Tipp side that stopped Kilkenny’s 5 in a row, coached the Kerry footballers, managed Kildare for 4 years culminating in the Newbridge or nowhere win over Mayo and most recently has coached under Padraic Joyce with the Galway footballers this season.

Been to 4 All Ireland finals with 4 different counties and is still young in his managerial career. Why not him?
The reason pat Flanagan time ended badly was because he wasn't around for Clara's last few matches as he was with the roscommon club team.