Origins of Offaly colours

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Fear Uibh
Junior A
Club: Doon

Re: Origins of Offaly colours

Post by Fear Uibh »

Crookedwood GAA westmeath are another who use the Green white and gold colours also.

faithfulfanatic
All Star
Club: Coolderry

Post by faithfulfanatic »

Further afield, Liverpool Wolfe Tones also wear the Green White and Gold.
And as you can imagine, Offaly New York and Offaly Boston both wear it.
There are a lot of Offaly Boston jerseys around.
I think sports manufacturer Masita make it.

The big hill
Intermediate
Club: Tullamore

Post by The big hill »

Duffry Rovers, Bride Rovers, Glenariff, Glenswilly, Carrickmore, Crookedwood, Liverpool Wolfe Tones, Offaly Boston, Offaly New York and Crettyard

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

Not sure about "winning something" to earn the right to wear the Tricolour as opposed to been a draw out of a drum was what i heard/read as a child long before the days of internet to check it (which i havent). I know Clara is supposedly the first/oldest affiliated club in Ireland etc...seen most of the clubs listed above over the years wearing the colours too..I know a Waterford man Thomas Meagher presented the first tricolour etc..and something tells me it was a Waterford man who had some part to play in Offaly getting their county colours too, or the draw happened in Waterford or something...I often wondered if Éamonn (Edmond) (1892–1968), republican activist might have been involved in us being awarded our colours..read something years ago which referred his involvement..Too much to go into here but no doubt all can be searched now online..

The Biff
All Star

Post by The Biff »

I’ve always recognised the difference between “Green, White and Gold” and the national flag colours of “Green, White and Orange”. The Gold looks so much brighter and better on jerseys.
Peter Parker: I missed the part where that's MY problem.