16 August 1997 - Offaly vs. Meath

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
True Red
All Star

Re: 16 August 1997 - Offaly vs. Meath

Post by True Red »

I meant to contribute to this thread at the time but sure better late than never.

16 years old in 1997 and what a summer we had. Memories of watching the Offaly panel training in Edenderry in the early stages and looking at Tommy Lyons in genuine fear due to the way he was torturing the lads during training.

Travelling to the home league matches and watching Peter Brady and Co destroying Division 4 defences with an open and direct style of football.

Heading to Navan for the league quarter final and looking on in desperation as Kildare just pipped Offaly at the post in an exciting match that was there to be won. Looking on in admiration as certain players were visibly upset at such a loss. Knew then that Offaly football was going places and quietly looked forward to the championship.

Travelling to Tullamore and watching Offaly systematically tear Longford to shreds, scoring 5 goals in the process despite the heroics of the flame haired corner forward, Dessie Barry.

Another home game followed against Westmeath and we under-performed bigtime. Brady missing a handy 21 yard free. Wide after wide been accumulated against a mediocre Westmeath that should have held on for the win until Offaly’s farmer from Doon, the great Vinny Claffey tore through the Westmeath ranks to pop over the equaliser. I can remember nearly leaping the old wire fence at the front of the old stand in excitement along with two friends of mine.

Heading over to Cusack Park knowing full well that we couldn’t perform as bad. Sitting back in contentment as Offaly raced into an unassailable lead. Watching Roy Malone run the Westmeath defence ragged. Looking at McManus with the jersey half ripped off him and still playing on. Listening to two oul Westmeath lads as one said to the other “if they get this free, I am going” and then watching as they trudged down the steps of the terrace in disappointment as Offaly converted another chance.

Journeying up to Croker to watch the quarter final against Wicklow. Looking on as Kevin O’Brien gave Larry Carroll a bit of hassle but we still came out the right side of the result playing good open football.

Staying for the Meath v Dublin game and observe Paul Bealin missing a late penalty as he smacked it off the crossbar of the goals at the canal end. Listen intently to an oul Dub supporter on the way out who told me “dat Awffaly soide are the ones that will win the Leinster, I’m tellin ye”

Making the pilgrimage to a packed Pairc Tailteann for the semi versus Louth and in a dour enough game watching Finbar Cullen giving a man of the match performance to seal the victory. Semi finals are all about winning and now we had a Leinster Final to look forward to.

The day of the Leinster final I can remember going down to the local hostelry to cheer the team bus off as they were picking up Paul O’Kelly, Finbar Cullen, Peter Brady and Kevin Guing from there. The crowds were unbelievable. It was a hot sunny day and it was like heaven on earth. I watch as Paul O’Kelly came in, sat down and ordered his dinner, and ate it quietly as he waited for the bus. He appeared to be the coolest man in the county taking it all in his stride as the madness permeated all around him. The bus pulls up and the place goes mental and the boys hop on to raucous cheers. I remember seeing McManus with his head in his hands, not quite believing the reception and then the send off that himself and his team-mates were getting. I heard afterwards that it was said on the bus that there was no way we could come a back a beaten side after that send off.

Travelling up to Croke Park the tension was palpable. Listening to the various theories bouncing around the car about how we were going to do,who would mark who etc.

Sitting in the lower Cusack before the game and just absorbing the atmosphere. It seemed the whole of Offaly was up in Croker that day. Looking on as Sean Boylan had an intense discussion with Martin O’Connell trying to convince him that he was fit to start. He wasn’t and O’Connell’s body language told the real story. Watching as Darren Fay and Mark O’Reilly trudged disconsolately up into the stand having been suspended after the marathon series with Kildare. Quietly reckoning to myself that Offaly were going to do it but never daring to express it publicly.

The game began and we stuck it to the men from Meath. You could actually see the confidence in the Offaly men. I believe we gave them a footballing lesson that day. Some of the scores taken that day were top class. The points from play were exceptional and the finishing for the goals was lethal. Colm Quinn’s left foot was laser guided. Peter Brady getting a box off his marker which drew blood and it not taking a fonk out of him. Vinny refusing to accept anything other than victory. Our half back line of Kenny, Cullen and Coffey was a monstrosity. Cathal Daly cementing his position on the All Star team and an 18 year old Barry Malone giving a confident display. Even Larry Carroll played a part, handling anything that came his way.

Sean Grennan at centre forward giving and taking hits off for sport off resolute Meath men. David Reynolds clipping over the frees any chance he got. And our youthful midfield of McManus and Mooney running their counterparts ragged.

As the game reached its conclusion and we leaped onto the sideline for the pitch invasion, the first person I meet is Paul O’Kelly who is imploring the Offaly hordes to stay off the pitch in case the ref calls it off. How is the man still thinking so clearly I wonder? I reach out to shake his hand and he does so. And then the whistle blows and we are all running to embrace our heroes. Leinster champions. Who would have thought it?

On the drive home, I look on in genuine fear as the oul lad drives on the hard shoulder from Kilcock to Enfield in an effort to beat the traffic. I then observe in delight as we beep the horn the whole way from the time we enter the county of Kildare at Johnstownbridge right until we get back to Edenderry.A bit of border rivalry :P

We get back home and the whole place has gone mad. Everyone is drinking in the street. Some teddy boy on a motor bike is doing wheelies and doughnuts up and down the main street but no one seemed to care.

Its for days like these that we Keep the Faith.

The next day out against Mayo we got caught on the hop by John Maughan's charges. At a rain sodden Croke Park we were never at the races and in fairness how could we have been considering we were still on cloud nine since the 2 weeks previous. I'll never forget Maughan standing on the side of the pitch urging on his players near the end of the match soaked to the skin just wearing a pair of shorts and a t-shirt. He was a driven man that day and had prepared his side well to meet the challenge of Offaly.

All in all though,it was some voyage and I would give my right arm for times like that again.
Last edited by True Red on Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:13 pm, edited 5 times in total.
If you don’t stand for something you fall for anything

duckdiggler
Junior B

Post by duckdiggler »

I have been lucky to be at all Offalys successes since 1980 onwards - fantastic times for us with such a small pick always.

I was sitting two seats away from Graham Geraghty in the stand in 1997- the look of shock on his face was priceless.
He took it like a man at the end and said well done to us.

I have to say though that I preferred the win against Meath in 2000 in the p*sses of rain , when they were reigning All-Ireland champions again, first round ,with a full compliment of players and no excuses. A great day for the faithful that braved the day even though it was on the box.

I look forward to a few of those days again. Next victory against Dublin in SFC , and Kilkenny in SHC will be the greatest day EVER as far as I'm concerned in each grade as the next victory should always be the one we want . Might have to wait 2 years !!!

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

When I think back to '97 now, the contrast with today is stark.
An Offaly took the field with intent that day against Meath.
There was a confidence and belief about the players.
They were well prepared and focussed, even though it was a Division 4 side.

Sadly you look at how Offaly took the field against Westmeath this year and Dublin last year.
Going through the motions, lacking in spirit, disorganised, no cohesion.
You got little impression that Offaly were going to go out there and get stuck in big time!

Even in the early 00s, when Offaly footballers were in a rut of losing tight matches against big teams, there was great honesty in the performances. These match were epic battles, when nothing was left in the tank.
Afterwards, you'd regret the decision that went against us, or the lack of a couple of scoring forwards, but never the lack of effort.
I wonder how long, and under what manager would it take to get the fighting spirit and collective sense of purpose back into Offaly footballers?

lovelyhurling
County player
Club: de field

Post by lovelyhurling »

Il never forget it!!

Great post bnm. I was 9 years of age and i remember being so nervous in the hogan stand for the whole game biting the crest of my jersey!! Roy malone no matter what he did from that day on...he was my hero! Offaly were training in gracefield that year and i used to go see them every night trainin, the night they won my father brought me and the brother to the hawthorn pub in port(offaly side) and everyone was singing! Someone rang into the pub saying the team will be in gracefield in a few minutes and we all went down. The bus stopped there and we ran around the field with the cup. Vinnie claffey signed my jersey and peter brady. It was one of the best days of my life!!

GOD BLESS ROY MALONE!!!
pull hard on your man, he's no relation

Bord na Mona man
All Star

Re:

The Rover wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:10 pm I hope BnM man that when you write your 10 year review in 2017, we have a few more recent memories to look back on. I have given up on this decade but with some promising talent coming through I hope that in three or four years euphoria can reign supreme again for the Faithful.
I missed the 20 year milestone, but 25 will have to do instead.
Does a 1/4 century really go that fast?

The Rover
Junior A

Post by The Rover »

Bord na Mona man wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:18 pm
The Rover wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:10 pm I hope BnM man that when you write your 10 year review in 2017, we have a few more recent memories to look back on. I have given up on this decade but with some promising talent coming through I hope that in three or four years euphoria can reign supreme again for the Faithful.
Hard to believe it's 25 years ago and the memory is still so vivid.
We now have last years win by that great U20 team to add to our list of unforgettable days.
We can have a lot of hope that for your 30 year review that squad will have given us some new great days at senior level.

Bord na Mona man
All Star

Re:

The Rover wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:22 pm
Bord na Mona man wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:18 pm
Hard to believe it's 25 years ago and the memory is still so vivid.
We now have last years win by that great U20 team to add to our list of unforgettable days.
We can have a lot of hope that for your 30 year review that squad will have given us some new great days at senior level.
I'll bring this topic back up on the 35th anniversary and let's see how we've gotten on!

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

25 years without a Leinster Senior title. 40 years ago, we stopped Kerry’s 5 in a row. Since then we have fallen off the radar alarmingly. Now in Division 3, and not a chance of reaching a Leinster Final. Where did it all go wrong?

The points made that even in the bad days, Offaly teams gave all, even if defeat was the inevitable outcome, are valid. Are modern players lacking in a basic desire to compete, or show some pride in that famous jersey?. I think that the championships now are won by counties with adequate sponsorship to fund training, expenses, and the like. Most small counties are not in this category, and can never hope for even limited success, Offaly sadly may be included in this group.

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

SearingDrive wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:25 pm 25 years without a Leinster Senior title. 40 years ago, we stopped Kerry’s 5 in a row. Since then we have fallen off the radar alarmingly. Now in Division 3, and not a chance of reaching a Leinster Final. Where did it all go wrong?

The points made that even in the bad days, Offaly teams gave all, even if defeat was the inevitable outcome, are valid. Are modern players lacking in a basic desire to compete, or show some pride in that famous jersey?. I think that the championships now are won by counties with adequate sponsorship to fund training, expenses, and the like. Most small counties are not in this category, and can never hope for even limited success, Offaly sadly may be included in this group.
Wouldnt agree fully with this. We have had talent. We havent done much with it. We have been short sighted on so many levels, due to lack of foresight at county board level primarily. 1. Games Programme was poor at underage - really poor - but now it is way better. Most involved in underage would probably agree. 2. Preparation of county underage teams were extremely poorly resourced and often with weak non progressive coaches. This is changing rapidly. As a result, a young player might now choose Offaly GAA over rugby or soccer which certainly was not the case before. That comes down to how well lads are treated - money is important but not everything. Good coaching is more important and treating lads well - and often parents have input on decision a young player makes. If coaching is off, they will drift away.

Money is hugely important but lads in past left Offaly GAA or would not go in because of how they may have been mis-treated over time. Wont go into it but there was a lot of stories out there. Players are primary assets and they and co teams are treated a lot better now under new co board regime. Same levels of money has been there roughly but lads are getting better looked after. Accept Glenisk has increased the pot of money available but that is only this year. Generally speaking, the point stands up.

To emphasise point re coaching and money, there is same volume of money in Dublin now as there was under Jim Gavin. But look at the difference. Monaghan is a small county but they maximise their resources. So so so many counties do not do this including Offaly in the past. There is a long way to go but we are getting better at that - a lot better. In last two years we have been in 2 all ireland finals. Could we have foreseen that 5 years ago? Absolutely not in my opinion. If we do things right and produce good u20 and minor teams for next 5 years, we will be strong enough at senior level. Very enthused in interest level of new regime in doing things a lot better. Way more volunteers engaged across range of committees etc. The future is very positive I think.

Monaghan
jimbob

biffinbanner
All Star
Club: ferbane

Post by biffinbanner »

the meath game will remain long in my memory.what a great day. the mayo match was a puzzler. the ref let the mayo backs in particular mortimer fould the offaly forwards all day. vinny was asically man handled every time he went to show for a ball. my main memory was going up on the train from limerick ,finding out about lady di getting killed the previous night. and pat spillane and tony davis in the same carraige as us as well as some cork camogie team!! spillane was in great form. said we wouldnt beat mayo as they were more seasoned as he put it. coming home in a sad mood little did we know all the trips we would do the following year after the small ball!!

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

Was at Furlong’s Riverside Inn in East Durham NY for the match. The roof nearly blew off when Roy went on his run and hit the back of the net. Great memory.
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.