Clara vs Edenderry 9/10/11

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
TheManFromFerbane
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Re: Clara vs Edenderry 9/10/11

Post by TheManFromFerbane »

Had a big spiel done out on this but then I realised it was poor in comparison to Magpies so I'll just say this.

Both these teams are bursting with confidence, on a rich vein of form and have the work rate and ability to win this game. Edenderry's decision to make players pick either the GAA or nothing can't be underestimated and has proved to be a resounding success as they have weeded out the lads that were 80% committed and now have a united panel, with real scoring threats and tactical setup that will mask any slight deficiencies in personnel. Clara will see the fact that they got to the semi-final with 3/4s of a team and then exploded in the semis as a sign that they really have the best squad in Offaly. If they do get over Edenderry this weekend I'd expect a good run in Leinster.

Clichés are Clichés for a reason, if Clara gets on top of Edenderry early I fear Edenderry could wilt and Clara could run away with it. If Edenderry get on top early I think they can pin their ears back and drive on (albeit with not the same gap as if the situations were reversed).

For me this is a really tight one to call and I genuinely believe we could have a draw this weekend with Clara being the team to come back and get the draw.
The night is darkest before the dawn

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

its not a case of edenderry management weeding out players making them play just football.as far as im aware some of the lads are playing soccer,according to the paper they were never banned from palying any sports all brady wanted was for the lads to train when they were training and play games when they had games.no one was stopped playing soccer or rugby,hanlon,young,cullen,kelly,mcguiness, and few others all play soccer.no harm in it when the gaa season ends the lads will commit back to the soccer for the winter and this will just keep their fitness levels up.

TheManFromFerbane
All Star

Post by TheManFromFerbane »

kingscounty wrote:its not a case of edenderry management weeding out players making them play just football.as far as im aware some of the lads are playing soccer,according to the paper they were never banned from palying any sports all brady wanted was for the lads to train when they were training and play games when they had games.no one was stopped playing soccer or rugby,hanlon,young,cullen,kelly,mcguiness, and few others all play soccer.no harm in it when the gaa season ends the lads will commit back to the soccer for the winter and this will just keep their fitness levels up.
Yep, but that's the point, they were made pick football over the other sports whenever there were clashes, which gives the effect of the player not being able to play another sport at the start or end of the GAA season. No harm in at all when it's clearly a second choice but as far as I know the reason they were forced to do this is because lads were going playing soccer or rugby matches instead of training or league games. That was still a big ask of players and those that stayed obviously gave the right answer.

Was the same question asked with regard to hurling btw?
The night is darkest before the dawn

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

TheManFromFerbane wrote:
kingscounty wrote:its not a case of edenderry management weeding out players making them play just football.as far as im aware some of the lads are playing soccer,according to the paper they were never banned from palying any sports all brady wanted was for the lads to train when they were training and play games when they had games.no one was stopped playing soccer or rugby,hanlon,young,cullen,kelly,mcguiness, and few others all play soccer.no harm in it when the gaa season ends the lads will commit back to the soccer for the winter and this will just keep their fitness levels up.
Yep, but that's the point, they were made pick football over the other sports whenever there were clashes, which gives the effect of the player not being able to play another sport at the start or end of the GAA season. No harm in at all when it's clearly a second choice but as far as I know the reason they were forced to do this is because lads were going playing soccer or rugby matches instead of training or league games. That was still a big ask of players and those that stayed obviously gave the right answer.

Was the same question asked with regard to hurling btw?
well i think the hurlers are always playing second fiddle in edenderry gaa,it was clear the club were pushing for the footballers to go as far as they could.coaches brought in from army,gear got at start of year for all football team and reading the chairmans piece on the topic edenderry gaa spent 1 million euro over the last couple of years on new dressing rooms and upgrading the pitch.great for edenderry gaa that they have the money to do this especially in the times we are living in now.the new development seems to be working and if they could win sunday they might be around for a few years,but as the saying goes you have to lose one to win one and i think clara will just be to experienced for the reds on sunday.

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

I'd been meaning to get to this all week, but work related distractions kept me away and anyway, Magpie covered it much better than I could have. I'll instead dwell on the rudimentary anorak stuff, without any of the historical resonance or context.

For me, the base point for analysis here is that if Clara can replicate, or come close to replicating what they did against Rhode, they'll win well. That performance was utterly complete for me - there was method and cohesion to the attacking techniques, there was thought and analysis put into securing possession and that analysis was well executed, and defensively there was a logical system designed to counteract the main threats that Rhode posed.

For me it's no coincidence that the last two county finals have gone the way of the team that won the sideline battle with crucial interventions. In 2009 Clara handled Rhode's building from deep very well, and the move of Ross Brady to full forward turned the game. In 2010 they persisted with single marking Niall McNamee when he was clearly on form, and paid the price. Clara are good enough to win this game without necessarily dominating the tactical battle, but for me Edenderry have to get everything right since they are a much younger team, two or three years further back in their evolution and development. Things I'd like to see from them are:

(1) A contingency plan to cover the two corner backs without disrupting their central defensive spine, which was outstanding against Gracefield. Last weekend Rynaghs fell short against Birr because the one sector of the field that was going well for them - midfield - was changed to try and counteract Birr. Thus they handed the edge to their opponents straight away by not backing themselves. Of course you may have to change things, but I'd like to see Edenderry start with Hanlon and Pender in the centre, and see if they can still keep Reynolds and Deehan under wraps, and hopefully leave the nuclear option of moving Pender back as a plan C or D, not the first response if the corner lads start well.

(2) Use of the football is crucial. Against Rhode, Clara's deliveries were generally well thought out and it showed. When the long ball was on, they played it, but crucially, when it wasn't, they didn't. That was my biggest criticism of Edenderry in the Gracefield game. They pulled two forwards out from their positions, but Niall Slattery and Ruairi Allen chose to stay put. That was the cue for Basil Malone to get on the ball at midfield and direct traffic, and for Derek Kelly to carry the ball at the opposition and supporting the man in possession - instead we saw Dalton and Guing kicking the ball into outnumbered inside forwards. Traditional Offaly football is grand, but when you pull a forward or two out, how you play should be dictated by what the opposition does. If they follow them out, then you kick the ball into space. You should always look to attack from a position of strength, and that's the position where you hold the numerical advantage.

(3) Edenderry need a real plan and a method of play for when they need a goal. That could be using Mark Young on the edge of the square, that could be pulling the entire full forward line into deep positions and trying to give an open field for the likes of Cullen and Hurley to attack, or whatever, that's up to the Reds' management. The point is that they will possibly need a goal at some point and there needs to be a solid plan for how to create one.

Obviously none of that should be interpreted as my hoping that Edenderry win - I just would like to see them step up to the level that they ask real questions of Clara. If Clara then have the answers, great - the championship will be well earned and deserved.

Finally, I see the bookies are going all out - first goalscorer bets. Cullen at 9/1 and Reynolds and 13/2 look like the value ones for me. Any thoughts on that?
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

reynolds good bet for first goal scorer, anyone here what way the two teams will tog out for the final?

club125
Senior

Post by club125 »

National Coverage for Offaly Co. Final

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/championshi ... ,flash,257

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

goodluck to both teams today! terrible conditions as i write this, hope the wind calms and the rain stops for the game and we have a good final which is badly needed.

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

I can honestly say I did not see that coming. But congratulations Edenderry - couldn't be happier for the club. A lot of work has gone into this for several years now and several individuals, players and non players, are entitled to feel very proud efforts tonight.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

With all the giving out about the Edenderry Gracefield semil-final been bad where does it leave offaly football with Edenderry winning the county final today

DAF
All Star

Post by DAF »

Richie Dalton was simply oustanding for Edenderry today he won a huge amount of ball and his free taking was excellent aswell.Basil Malone had a brilliant game as did John Hurst who made a huge impact when he was brouight on in the second half.Clara were extremly poor and most of their big players didnt perform or werent let by Edenderry who showed massive hunger and determination, I thought they kicked the game away when they had the wind inteh first half but fair play to them they came back and played brilliantly in the second half.Sean og Farrell should have been sent off near the end he swung back and connected with Joe Quinn in an off the ball incident just after he was brought on as a sub.Edenderry deserved their win as if the referee played advantage they would have had a goal rather than a penalty which the missed.As far as I know they broke the rules in that incident as you cant bring on sub to take a penalty the penalty must be taken and then the sub brought on.

toughtackler
Junior A

Post by toughtackler »

townman wrote:With all the giving out about the Edenderry Gracefield semil-final been bad where does it leave offaly football with Edenderry winning the county final today
Where does it leave Offaly football?such a stupid statement,that Edenderry team is very young with plenty of talent untapped by the seniors,maybe they might get a chance now!!!All in all it's a great win for the town and no1 really gave them a chance on here!!it's great to be able to shove it back and say the best team won on the day!!!Up the reds and congratulations!

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

toughtackler wrote:
townman wrote:With all the giving out about the Edenderry Gracefield semil-final been bad where does it leave offaly football with Edenderry winning the county final today
Where does it leave Offaly football?such a stupid statement,that Edenderry team is very young with plenty of talent untapped by the seniors,maybe they might get a chance now!!!All in all it's a great win for the town and no1 really gave them a chance on here!!it's great to be able to shove it back and say the best team won on the day!!!Up the reds and congratulations!
thats my point everyone was giving out about the poor game between Edenderry and gracefield and with Clara with 6 county men 4 in the forward line
if you look back at my post i said it would be good for offaly football if Edenderry or Gracefield or walsh island won the county title and Congratulations to Edenderry they did

toughtackler
Junior A

Post by toughtackler »

townman wrote:
toughtackler wrote:
thats my point everyone was giving out about the poor game between Edenderry and gracefield and with Clara with 6 county men 4 in the forward line
if you look back at my post i said it would be good for offaly football if Edenderry or Gracefield or walsh island won the county title and Congratulations to Edenderry they did
My bad townman,thought u were getting a dig in!!!

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

enjoy tonite hope to myself next sunday :D