Faithful Pioneers: Offalys Football Breakthrough, 1960/61

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Faithful Pioneers: Offalys Football Breakthrough, 1960/61

Post by Lone Shark »

As ye may or may not have noticed in the local papers this week, there is another potential stocking stuffer coming on to the market before Christmas to go along with Duignan's book. I'm particularly looking forward to this one myself since I'm not well informed about the footballers from this era at all. Details of the launch are below for those who are free to attend, as I hope to do.

OFFALY GAA BOOK LAUNCH

Faithful Pioneers: Offaly’s football breakthrough, 1960-1961

A new book on Offaly’s football breakthrough, 1960- 1961 will be launched on Saturday 3 December at 3.30pm in the Offaly Research Centre, Bury Quay Tullamore by former 1982 Offaly All Ireland winning manager, Eugene McGee.

As most seasoned GAA followers within the county of Offaly are no doubt aware, this year is the 50th anniversary of Offaly's first historic appearance in an All Ireland final. In 1961 Down and Offaly met in the All Ireland Football final before the largest ever recorded attendance at a sporting event in Ireland, where Down narrowly emerged as the victors. In order to mark these highly significant achievements two Edenderry men Padraig Foy and Ciarán Reilly have recorded these events in a revealing new book drawing largely on the memories of the players who played in these historic matches. Together they have chronicled the events that best describe this important period and bring to light the achievements of this team to a wide audience including both young and old.

The achievements of the 1960-61 team are highly noteworthy, and while they have not been neglected in terms of recognition, the spotlight deserves to be placed on these men once again in order to record the unique breakthrough that this team achieved. The exploits of men such as the great Mick Casey, Har Donnelly, Tommy Greene, Mick Brady, Tommy Cullen, Sean Foran, Phil O Reilly, Donie Hanlon, Sean Ryan, Greg Hughes and captain Willie Nolan will be recalled. The central theme of the book is from an Offaly perspective, encompassing the insights, recollections and reflections of all the central participants involved in what was an exciting time in Offaly GAA circles. The book also incorporates the outlook from a number of Down GAA figures who were prominent during this period. With a foreword by Tullamore historian, Paul Rouse, this book is a must for all Offaly GAA fans.

90,000 people gathered in 1961 for the All Ireland final between Offaly and Down while another 30,000 were left outside for one of the most remarkable days in the GAA’s history. For the players involved it was a day they would never forget:

Har Donnelly remembers the huge crowd gathered on the day, which he estimates was closer to 115,000 than the official 90,000 recorded. ‘They were like locusts on the approach to Croke Park. When we left the dressing room and ran down the tunnel there were people lying on the ground having fainted such was the crowd. We were stepping over people to get out to play the All Ireland final. When we took the field there was a crescendo of noise as the whole place shook’. Charlie Wrenn believes that he will ‘always remember sitting in the dressing room before the match and you could hear this enormous noise coming from up above us. It was a very unusual sound and I hadn’t heard it before, it was like a hive of bees, a continuous drone of people and it was unbelievable noise altogether’.

A must for all GAA fans in Offaly, the book launch promises to be a memorable occasion where member s of Offaly’s GAA fraternity will gather to pay tribute to the great 1960-1961 team. Copies of the book will be on sale on the day and will be available widely throughout the county as well as of course from the authors themselves who can be contacted on offaly1960@gmail.com or 086-8745090

Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Re: Faithful Pioneers: Offalys Football Breakthrough, 1960/6

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Well done to Pádraig and Ciarán on this publication. I must say , I’ve been looking forward to this since it was first mooted last year.

My late father shared many memories with me of Offaly football at that time, including going to matches in Croke Park on the train from Banagher, the disputed penalty incidents against Down in ’60 and ’61, the crowd at the 1961 All-Ireland and how he’d have given anything to get out at half-time but was unable to move. Sadly he’s not around to relive those great times with this book.

Still, my sincere thanks to the two lads for producing the book.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

naasmanxrhode
All Star

Post by naasmanxrhode »

Well done to the two lads, looking forward to reading the book as this team deserves all the credit as they put offaly football on the map.
Be careful out their

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by Ahlethimoutwithit »

Great to see this book being launched. A really great story of what must have been a great time in the county. BNM and the ESB kicking off and these lads leading the crusade for glory for the first time in the countys history. Some great men on those teams and colourful characters too!

happy harry
Intermediate

Post by happy harry »

yeah very true, they started the ball rolling and i would think inspired the youth of offaly into gaa which in turn landed the 64 minor title and ultimtly the seniors in71 and72. they often get forgotten because they didnt land sam, but they done alot for offaly and they started a tradtion in which we learned to believe in ourselves. offaly abu

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

For those of ye looking to get ye're hands on it:

The book which retails at €11.99 can be purchased at the following outlets from 4 December:

Next Door Off Licence, 55 JKL Street, Edenderry;
O’Toole’s Pub & Off Licence, Rhode;
Quinn’s Centra, Daingean;
Offaly Research Centre, Bury Quay, Tullamore;
and O’Callaghan’s Centra, Ferbane.

Copies of the book will be on sale on the day and from the authors themselves who can be contacted on offaly1960@gmail.com or 086-8745090
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

Lone Shark wrote:For those of ye looking to get ye're hands on it:

The book which retails at €11.99 can be purchased at the following outlets from 4 December:

Copies of the book will be on sale on the day and from the authors themselves who can be contacted on offaly1960@gmail.com or 086-8745090
Interesting......it not on sale in Birr, the county's 3rd largest urban area?

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

bracknaghboy wrote:
Lone Shark wrote:For those of ye looking to get ye're hands on it:

Interesting......it not on sale in Birr, the county's 3rd largest urban area?
is it on sale in portarlington.....

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

Doesn't look like it? They should lash it into shops all over the county. Its the kind of book that would get good causual sale if displayed at the counter, especially coming up to Christmas. Theres a big population in Birr and in fairness people may not go out of their way to get a copy but if placed in front of them in the shops and filling stations they'd pick one up. Looks like a good read so into Quinns in Daingean for me later in the week :D

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

you would think they would sell it in portarlington with gracefield men of the side plus they were champions around 1960 & 61
didn't they have a night out a few weeks ago for the 50th.

by the way sorry to hear of the weirs loss lately.

toughtackler
Junior A

Post by toughtackler »

I'm sure that if you mentioned it to either of the lads about a couple of GAA orientated shops in each town that they will make every effort possible to get the book into them.I also read today that they have gotten the book into Balcony Books in the Bridge Centre in Tullamore so there's another outlet for people to get their hands on one.....

Heshs Umpire
County player

Post by Heshs Umpire »

In that team picture, can anyone identify Sean Ryan if he's in it please?
Sean's my local man for tyres and punctures and a great character.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

Heshs Umpire wrote:In that team picture, can anyone identify Sean Ryan if he's in it please?
he is the second in from the right back row.

Heshs Umpire
County player

Post by Heshs Umpire »

townman wrote:
Heshs Umpire wrote:In that team picture, can anyone identify Sean Ryan if he's in it please?
he is the second in from the right back row.
Thanks.
Sean's grandson Adam has played minor for Laois and I'd imagine will be part of the under 21 set up this year. A fine prospect.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

I attended the launch in Tullamore today where I had the pleasure of meeting the two authors and passing on my good wishes in person.

There was a good turnout of players from that era too. I had the pleasure an interesting chat with Tommy Greene about those times. A lovely fella, he told me that he felt that having 16 selectors in 1961 was of benefit as it cast the net wider and more players were given consideration whereas previously the County team was the preserve of a few clubs.

Eugene McGee was guest-of-honour. He gave a run-down of some of the key areas of the book, like the stone-throwing incident in Portlaoise in 1961. He also noted the superior coverage afforded to Gaelic Games by the Sunday Press at that time. Commenting on the 16 selectors, McGee wondered how a change could have been made on the field at all.

Most poignant of all, McGee seemed to be holding back tears as he recalled the homecoming after his footballers lost the 1981 All-Ireland Final to Kerry.

Something McGee also mentioned was Kerry’s attitude to Down’s advanced style of play and how they cribbed and moaned of how it was bad for football (bad for Kerry football, no doubt!). He noted this was in contrast to Offaly who had no such qualms with Down’s style of breaking the ball in midfield and the like. That Kerry attitude persists to this day – remember ‘puke football’?

Before reading, the book seems to be a social history of that time commenting on the influence of Bord na Mona & ESB, putting Offaly's development as a county into context before recalling the matches on the 1960 & '61 era.

If there is a complaint pre-reading, the print is quite small, no doubt with printing costs in mind, which is understandable. The photographs of the team groups could do with a list of the names underneath too.

Let that not put ye off, go out and buy the book – that’s the best tribute ye can give the authors.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.